Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default WoW! Modified my starter ZOOM!!!!!!!!

I have an older plank starter, some Hi-Tork brand or something I got from my dad back in the 80's. Would start a 40 sized plane fine, but anything larger and it would bog and you would have to bump start it.

My old gel battery in my field box was pretty lazy too, so I decided to try an experiment. I rigged a deans connector on the starter cord and tried a 2200mah 11.1v lipo. About the same as the 12v gel battery, maybe a bit better, but wouldn't turn my buddies raptor 60 with his OS70 motor w/out the bump start, which I really don't like to do. So, I took a series deans connector and put on 2 of the 2200mah 3s1P 20c packs. Stater really spins, and I figured if I fried my starter WHO CARES, it was working well, but basically outdated . So with 2 batteries, put it on my buddies raptor and POW, thing fired straight off in less than a second or so. He was amazed. He has a very high dollar starter that can't even spin his motor w/out hooking it straight to his car batttery. My modded starter just eased through the day of flying starting both his Raptor and my TREX600 all day, probably 20 starts between us, until my dumb thumb incident.

His parting comment about the starter was "I'm doing that to mine"

So now I'm considering ditching my heavy field box, mounting my fuel pump on my nitro bottle somehow, and using a single lipo for that. Shorten the cord for my starter and mount the lipos to my starter, and just carrying those around. Save alot of weight and probably a trip back to the car .

Just thought that some might find this useful. Instead of throwing out that older starter, if you have spare lipos around you might want to try this

John
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just did that as well. Cheep 4 cell 2200 on ancient starter with a deans and velcro, same as my planes. Spins my hyper 50 really fast. I'm sure the 3 cell would work just fine but I had the 4 so why not!!
at about 8:00 minutes 200 cc P47
mccrind is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

eheh
Yeah I'm sure 4 cells would work, but I didn't have 4 cell packs only 2-3cell packs in series
ZOOM ZOOM!
Spartan RC
Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

my buddy has a dynatron powered by a 6S 4900(yes a t-rex 600E battery). but hes also having to turn over 150cc engines. so it has to be powerful. im sure it could turn over the world.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a great idea. I have been using a Craftsman drill to start my Trex-600N. Works well all day. I know what you mean on ditching the field box. I have a small fishing tackle box with tools and extra glo plugs etc. I have a gallon gas can that i poor the nitro fuel in and zipped tied my fuel pump to the handle. I use a 3S1P 1500 pack to power the fuel pump. Man that thing fills the tank in about 3.5 secs.
wacojoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Thumbs up

I just upgraded my starter as well. I skipped the lipos because of $$ and went wth the torquemaster lead calcium (SLA) batteries ($20 each). I have 2 wired in series for 24V @ 7000mAh (hooked up to a Dynatron).

Cranking the engine over is a joke, the rpm is so high it sounds like it's ready for take off before I hit the ignite button ! (maybe that's a bad thing but I'll take it over not turning it over).
R1R 7humbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

update! My buddy did this to his and it's equally impressive. I'm happy though b/c my 20yr old starter(give or take) that I got from my dad, seems as good as his $100 starter from a couple years ago . They both rock, but heck why spend the extra $ on a new starter.

Also, I put in a lipo in place of my Gel battery in my field box. Made a huge difference in weight, and I'm sure will last as long or longer
woot I love lipos eheh!
Spartan RC
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.afineredgemfg.com/
flyfishsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in