Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New second hand Goblin logs

I picked up a second hand Goblin 570 the other day, pretty much dropped my spare 720BE and GPS onto it, setup using the wizards and took it flying.
The first flight was hovering on the spot just to confirm things work, and the attached log is the second flight where I switched on the GPS and slowly lowered until it hit the hard deck a couple of times(just to confirm that it was working).
Can someone please have a look at my logs and give me an idea of where to start to get this bird flying perfectly. I know that there is plenty of optimising of my setup to do, but I would like to make sure that I am fixing the major issues before moving to the small things.
For starters I can see I have higher than ideal vibe levels to nut out, and a single lost radio reception at -14.9 seconds.... which seems to coincide with plugging in the second pack on my 12S setup.
Is this a single RX drop out associated with plugging in (and all the dropped data frames are the delay while it re-connects with the TX) or have I got lots RX drop outs that mean these lost data frames happen throughout the flight (scary!)
Is there anything else obvious that I should get sorted before I fly again?
Thanks in advance!
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: skl LOG18.SKL (947.5 KB, 52 views)
Fruitbat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

=] Dave hi, in the order I checked the data

1, is the S-bus connected to the sat ports, or IO-B? you need to address those packet losses, what Rx type? have you got another to test?

2, you are sailing close to the wind with vibrations, this will shut down the gps & self-level, please switch to vibe logging and send a log in.

3, DO not attempt inverted on that SL setting, it will bite you!

4, in the pref tab for playback settings, select GPS sats, it's good to see signal strength here.

5, your settings and flight looked pretty good to me, the unit is healthy and doing it's great work!

go from here! georgi.

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Georgi,

1, The S-bus connected to IO-B
The Rx is a Futaba R7008SB which has one hard crash in the past. I have put on a spare R630SBE off another heli to test, so hopefully I can escape work early enough to give it a try!

2, I have now switched to vibe logging and will post a log ASAP- I really don't like them that high either.. but can I see the packet losses in the event log while vibe logging, or should I leave it in playback logging until I get that sorted?

3, DO not attempt inverted on that SL setting, it will bite you- Thanks... I am still so far off inverted flight its not funny. When I was struggling to learn I had the self level tuned up and every couple of weeks turn it down a bit until I got it to zero. After 3 months of no flying I flicked it on for confidence... knees were still shaking though!

4, in the pref tab for playback settings, select GPS sats, it's good to see signal strength here.- Done!

5, your settings and flight looked pretty good to me, the unit is healthy and doing it's great work!- Thanks, once I have these vibe and data losses sorted I want to try your optimised sport flight file. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again,
Dave

go from here! georgi.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

=] Dave hi, the most important thing right now is the RF frames, does the Rx have a gold dot? we can do the vibe log later. leave the playback logging as is.

3. yes I just wanted to cover you should you go for an inverted GPS insurance flight, fright!!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

From what I have read the gold dot is supposed to be between the antenna leads on the case.... neither of my Rx's have it.... hmmm, does this mean I need to get the soldering iron out and put a resistor between the signal and the ground wires?
Pretty disappointed if this is the case... the R6303SBE is only a few weeks old, meaning the LHS must have had some old stock on the shelves....
Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

=] Have a chat with Anthony, we chased his RF for a while, some issues with SB2 and non-Futaba hardware, where the data packets are never ending, something like that??!

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=641932

Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Thanks Georgi,
It might be a couple of days before I get to try it out due to weather and work, but I really appreciate the time you put in to help us all out on here!
Old 06-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

=] !

Old 07-26-2015, 03:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got out for a hover with vibe logging on. The heli is rock solid with no sign of a shake but the logs tell the true story!

Correct me if I am wrong but with vibes this high the first check should be something simple like loosening the tail blades a touch (they are quite firm in the grips) and having another go to see if that makes a difference?

Looks like I have a day of test flying at the field coming up rather than fixing it all with one quick hop, as I will have to switch back to playback logging to check whether the new Rx has cured the packet losses as well (I knew I forgot to do something when I got to the field...change to playback and get Rx sorted first... )

Cheers
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: skv LOG22.SKV (869.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Fruitbat; 07-26-2015 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: Just answered my own question when I re-read the previous posts...
Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Latest Progress

Got away from work early so had a couple of flights and a fiddle. Things are looking a lot more reasonable.
Playback Log shows only 2 data packet losses (is this acceptable?)
And Vibe log is getting there... any hints on where I need to look for the next easy drop in vibes?
The huge drop between this post and Sundays was brought about levering the tail grips open the tiniest bit so the blades could move rather than being really quite tight even with the bolt itself quite loose.
Attached Files
File Type: skv LOG29.SKV (571.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: skl LOG24.SKL (637.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Plastic or CF blades?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

CF...
The current ones are 2nd hand so have no idea about their history.
I'll check the toolbox for a spare set of tail blades to put on there, and while I am at it will go back to basics by stripping and balancing the tail assembly.
Back to basics and one step at a time. I need to remind myself of that sometimes!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like I am getting there.
A new set of Edge tail blades has tidied up the logs nicely and looking for where to get the next improvement. Can you see anything obvious in the vibe logs that I can look at next?
Is 6 data packet losses OK for a flights?
Thanks
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: skl LOG33.SKL (1.78 MB, 46 views)
File Type: skv LOG30.SKV (1.26 MB, 38 views)
Old 08-14-2015, 04:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Smile

=] This is looking great! good work and please retain the log for future ref. The packet losses are spot on, what Rx did you move onto? The vibes are well under control now, I would think any further reduction might be found in the mounting method used, but, I would be happy to just go fly it after the efforts you have clearly put in!

I wouldn't mind seeing a playback log where the heli is sat for say half a minute with zero movement..... out of interest.

cheers...

Old 08-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Georgi,
I am glad this one was so easy to get sorted. I changed the Rx completely (I'll edit in the specs tonight after work) rather than mess about with resitors.
With the log of it sitting still, is what you are after a log of the heli in an open area, power up, initialise, wait 30-40 seconds without spooling up or moving the sticks then unhook the batteries and upload playback logs?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

=] on the bench power up would do, no inputs needed......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in