Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Dual rates

Curious, does anyone use dual rates for flying helis? Having different expo and travel settings are useful on planes. I could see the benefit of having different settings for flipping between hard and soft 3d.. wasn't sure if anyone actually did it though.
dwelzel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelzel View Post
Curious, does anyone use dual rates for flying helis? Having different expo and travel settings are useful on planes. I could see the benefit of having different settings for flipping between hard and soft 3d.. wasn't sure if anyone actually did it though.
YES!!!

Most models I have 3 DR rates (landing 50, soft flying 80, full out 100).

Use DR 50 for indoor practice hovering on the 130X.

My 450X uses DR equivalent of 130 to get roll rate up high enough (else it feels too sluggish).
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I might differ a little bit. I always use the same rates, because for me its the only way to consistently improve my stick inputs. What gives some duality are different headspeeds. The lower one is good for gentle moves, taking off and landing. The higher is for sport flying and 3D. But if you feel dual rates might help you in certain situation like shaky inputs on landing, use them.
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have 3 rates on my models. I most always use 100%. Set my FBL agility to handle what I can deal with at max rates. But sometimes I have a off day, or just want to do some smooth circuits and I'll flip to mid or low rates. Low rates as well if I have my camera strapped to the heli
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was about to ask a similar question.
Being a newly converted plank flyer I am used to switching between D/R depending on the maneuver.

I am on lesson 4 (inverted Piros) but still learning my nose in and out orientations. When I flip, I flip on High rates but want to hover on low rates. But I keep it on High rates incase I need to "escape" to upright. Is it preferred to Hover inverted then on High or low rates?

This is all sim flying at the moment.

Regards,

Theunis.
Theunisjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use different rates on different modes when I'm setting up a new helicopter so I can test different setups. However, once I decide on the rates I like the only things I change on mode changes is head speed. If I'm not feeling too sharp I fly on lower head speed than if I feel like pushing it.

As to flipping rates being different than hovering rates, I personally would not do that, but there's no rule that says you can't. A lot is going on in your head when you're working out all the new orientations. Adding the complexity of mode changes into that might be pretty hard. As you gain experience flipping you'll find them naturally tightening up so you can do them on lower rates if you want. It doesn't take as much stick motion as you think, but it takes some time to get there.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I simply tune my RL helis to the speed that I am flying on the sim and they generally stay there. When I wish to change setup, I set some new DR values and flick between them during the tuning flights to see which one I like better until I settle on a new tune. Then they tend to stay that way for a while.

There is no reason you can't have a slow DR setup for a piro hover and then aggressive DR for 3D etc.

Changing HS will increase/decrease cyclic response etc so you may like to alter DR for a high/slower HS.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunisjr View Post
I was about to ask a similar question.
Being a newly converted plank flyer I am used to switching between D/R depending on the maneuver.

I am on lesson 4 (inverted Piros) but still learning my nose in and out orientations. When I flip, I flip on High rates but want to hover on low rates. But I keep it on High rates incase I need to "escape" to upright. Is it preferred to Hover inverted then on High or low rates?

This is all sim flying at the moment.

Regards,

Theunis.
No problem using a lot of expo to keep the hover soft, but the flip rate high.

If you have a particularly advanced transmitter, you can do some funky stuff (like low expo, low DR first 75% of stick, then medium expo, high DR for the last 25% - best of both worlds).

It's all personal preference.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks a lot for the replies and suggestions, I Have a DX9 so when I get my OXY 3 or 450L (Still on the fence) I will set her up that feels the best.

Theunis.
Theunisjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in