Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How perfectly inverted must CP2 be to arm itself?

I have a DX6i and use the gyro switch to turn on and turn off the CP2. I set the flight mode 1 for inverted hover and the disarm for level flight. This allows me to use the CP2 for level and inverted flight.

The way I understand it is that if the heli is not in a stable inverted hover, it will disarm to level flight. That worked perfect for me today. I turned on CP2 while upright and the heli held an upright hover. I went inverted, turned on CP2, and she held an inverted hover.

So my question is how perfectly inverted do you need to be in order for the CP2 to arm itself in flight mode 1 - inverted?

My worry is this. I like to practice my inverted with the CP2's help. However, I also like to sport fly and have the CP2 at the ready as my bail out switch. I'm worried that if I get myself into some bad attitude while sport flying upright and then hit the CP2 switch, what is the chance that the CP2 will arm and level the heli out inverted?
Blade MSR
DX6i
Ty01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty01 View Post
I have a DX6i and use the gyro switch to turn on and turn off the CP2. I set the flight mode 1 for inverted hover and the disarm for level flight. This allows me to use the CP2 for level and inverted flight.

The way I understand it is that if the heli is not in a stable inverted hover, it will disarm to level flight. That worked perfect for me today. I turned on CP2 while upright and the heli held an upright hover. I went inverted, turned on CP2, and she held an inverted hover.

So my question is how perfectly inverted do you need to be in order for the CP2 to arm itself in flight mode 1 - inverted?

My worry is this. I like to practice my inverted with the CP2's help. However, I also like to sport fly and have the CP2 at the ready as my bail out switch. I'm worried that if I get myself into some bad attitude while sport flying upright and then hit the CP2 switch, what is the chance that the CP2 will arm and level the heli out inverted?
Hi:

Good question. You don't have to be perfectly (inverted) level to arm inverted mode. The actual required angle is around 100 to 120 deg from (non-inverted) level. The unit will disarm at around 80 deg from (non inverted) level. Hope that makes sense to you.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does that mean that when you are at around 90 degrees to level and you let stick go the heli could go either way?
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as I understand, if you are in level flight even though the CP II is in inverted flight mode, it will not arm to inverted, but will continue to be as in level flight mode. So if you go inverted, CP II will try to return you to level flight even if the radio switch is in inverted mode. You need to be in an inverted attitude and at that moment switch the CP II to inverted mode for it to arm in that mode.

This is how I understand the system works...
Locitur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you are right, remember reading this now. Otherwise you would have all kinds of conflicts, Thanks.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a little confused about this. I am trying to set mine up for inverted flight with a dx6. Since we only have a 2 way switch it is my understanding that in position 0 its off and in position 1 its inverted. BUT.... in order to fly level flight using CPII you have to really fly with CPII in inverted mode (position 1) and rely on the disarm function to default to level flight.

If I want to go inverted... I have to flip the bird and throw the switch from inverted to off and back to inverted for the bird to stay inverted?
Trex 600esp
lowbuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, I found this little tid bit in another thread that I think clears up my question. LOL

"When the CPII is assigned for remote on/off, one position will always be off, then the others can be assigned for flight modes. When you only have a 2 position switch available, one position is off, the other is assigned for inverted hover. This does not leave a position for level flight but there is a way to "cheat" and get both level flight and inverted flight and still have the off position (which you can't change). This is because of the specific steps to arm the CPII for inverted flight (which are outlined in the manual). To arm for inverted flight, the on/off switch must be in the off position, you roll to inverted, then turn the switch to on while inverted. The CPII will now keep the aircraft in inverted level flight, you just have to manage the collective. Here is how to get level flight stabilization even though the switch is assigned for inverted. You can either take off with the switch in the on position or turn the switch to the on position as long as the heli is upright. This will not arm for inverted, the switch must be moved to the off position and the heli flipped inverted, then the switch turned back to on. Also, when you are in inverted hover (with switch on), and if you were to roll out to upright, the CPII will be in level flight stabilization until you turn the switch off. This function is set in the preferences section and called "Disarm Flight Modes to:" level flight is the default."
Trex 600esp
Old 04-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

so.... in other words

0 = OFF (wont really use as I will always fly with inverted mode on so it "disarms to level)
1= Inverted mode. (will mostly fly in this position)

When I really do want to fly inverted. Turn the switch to off, flip the bird and turn the switch to inverted (1) and hopefully the bird stays that way. To get out just roll the bird and the CPII will automatically resume level flight...

Sound right?
Trex 600esp
Old 04-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes, that's right Lowbuck.

However, I still am not sure how close to perfectly level inverted you must be for the CP2 to arm and hold inverted.

I just don't want to hit the switch while sport flying upright and have it roll inverted on me.
Blade MSR
DX6i
Ty01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread for your original question.
Trex 600esp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in