Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Why wouldn't everyone use this?

I've only been into helis for about three months now so everything is very new to me. Just recently stumbled onto this stabilization and self leveling. My question is why doesnt everyone use this? I hear about guys their first year or two of flying that it is normal and expected to crash over and over and dump tons of cash into rebuilding it is just part of the learning so except it. These stabilization systems with the self leveling and bail out seems like it would all but eliminate this problem so why arent more people using them? Am i missing something? Do you have to be a rocket scientist to figure them out?
jfluegel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

they cost money..
they are like riding a Trike instead of a 2 wheel motorcycle.. (if you ride you under stand)
newbs want cheap
newbs need simple setup
Old 11-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

budget is probably the biggest issue.
GunnyGlow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I wish I knew myself... let alone the Self leveling, they fly great!

http://www.espritmodel.com/captron-h...-customer.aspx

The initial cost is probably what drives most new pilots away, you would easily get that money back, with many less headaches and rebuilds.

Rob
Helicommand Flight Team
heli21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It seems like Helicommand is the only one that is successful as it is not so easy to accomplish. Skookum has self leveling, but it is so sensitive, that it will not work on all heli's. It really is a great ground breaking feature, if you can afford the Helicommand, grab it.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Anyone who will be at the Orlando Helicopter Blowout, come to the Esprit/Helicommand tent and we can give you a personal demonstration on how the self leveling works.

Rob
Helicommand Flight Team
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

To consider as well:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/.../Co-Pilot-II_2

and....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10092
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 04:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quite a few do use flight stabilization, the cost it saves in crashes more than pays for the platform used.

As to the idea that " your flying with crutch".....
No one started in this hobby as an expert pilot... and if you can manage more air time than repair time, the logic will be you will get to be a better pilot sooner than later.

These platforms are tunable where you can decrease the effect as you become more experienced to the point where they would only be needed as a "bail out" feature.

I myself ad many other will tell you....

"Do what you want and fly what ever gives you the most fun and enjoyment"

Who ever cares to frown upon your choice to use flight stabilization.. that is there issue not yours.

BTW many who fly AP use some type of flight stabilization. standard practice for many.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I figured the upfront cost was a big issue but like many have said they pay for themselves in the reduced crash cost, and really the CPII really is not that bad price wise. Many people have a hard time with "cost avoidance" concepts. They would rather spend $50 to $100 at a time 10 times over instead of shelling out $500 at once. I don't mind spending money I just hate wasting money. The other one I like is the "I have 8 helis at the field today so in case I crash a few I can keep flying" Why not have just like 2 helis with this bail out feature?

As far as being a crutch I would think it is just the opposite. How many people, myself included" can do all kinds of wonderful things on the sim but not on a real heli? Probably because to figure it out on the sim you crashed over and over and over. It took me two weeks and literally 200 hunderd crashes on my sim to figure out how to fly a circle. Now I can do it on the sim but still havent done it for real becuase those crashes are still in the back of my mind (it also doesnt help that he weather sucks.)
Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
):>

My HF Map location

honestly i think its kinda cheating a little bit. part of the fun and intrest in this hobby is how difficult it is to fly these things .thats why i have stopped buying any more planks too dame easy to fly.
AMA#925546 IRCHA#3937

Team A main,Team Xpert
jt45255 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For me it the challenge. I also cosidered using flight stabilization. Still seems like a good idea
Contributor, Team LavaQuad
halcyon32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

FYI... I own a few helicopters and planks..

And every single one is outfitted with flight stabilization

Reason being....

To avoid this...

The cost of repairing or replacing one of my machines far out ways the cost of saving it.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

nice collection Nightflyer!!!!

you are using stabe on all of these??!! wow!
what different types of stabilization are you using and what are the advantage/disadvantage of each? what do you like the best and why?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt45255 View Post
honestly i think its kinda cheating a little bit. part of the fun and intrest in this hobby is how difficult it is to fly these things .thats why i have stopped buying any more planks too dame easy to fly.
So is using a sim cheating? Buddy boxing for sure would be cheating, right? Afterall having another human there to catch your machine when you make a mistake, where is the challenge in that? Better to let it slam into the ground so you can spend the next two weeks putting it back together. I can definately see how this philosophy will improve your repairing abilities, not sure how it will improve your flying. In my mind the best way to improve any skill is repitition. The more stick time you have the better you will become. If having a bail out solution keeps me from trashing my machine so I can keep flying I dont see a down side. I have a limited amount of time I can spend flying so better to use that time flying than repairing. But the great thing about this hobby as we can do what ever we think is best.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess it depends on what one would call 'having fun'. Some will have fun by doing difficult things; some for building and repairing and spending more; some by having more stick time and bringing home a model in one piece.

I guess, if using a flight stabilizer is considered 'cheating' or too easy, then tail gyro should also be one of those.
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
I have a limited amount of time I can spend flying so better to use that time flying than repairing.
Sounds like you need a HC3-SX , there should be a good deal on Friday here:

http://www.espritmodel.com/captron-h...tem-hc3sx.aspx
Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
FYI... I own a few helicopters and planks..

And every single one is outfitted with flight stabilization

Reason being....

To avoid this...

The cost of repairing or replacing one of my machines far out ways the cost of saving it.
Night:

You ever fly the light brown one in the top of the 3rd photo closes to the tree?

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfrog View Post
nice collection Nightflyer!!!!

you are using stabe on all of these??!! wow!
what different types of stabilization are you using and what are the advantage/disadvantage of each? what do you like the best and why?
I have Helicommand 3A, 3D, RIGID, HC3-SX Co-Pilot II along with a few others..

All my helicopter platforms are setup as "Bail Out" If I remember correctly I have 21 or 24 machines setup...
As to how well they work, each was selected for a specific purpose so each does exactly what I need it to do.
So in answer to your question I have no misgivings about any of the systems I use.

And to any of those who now feel it's "cheating" to use these platforms... that is your right and privilege to do so..
But to advise someone NOT to use one..that is a whole different discussion.

I can say this...... If you feel it's cheating....
I can promise and guarantee
... You are NOT gonna like what is being flight tested at present.

But those of you who hate the thought of crashing and repairing you are gonna love what is coming

You have my word on that

Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

But those of you who hate the thought of crash and repair are gonna love what is coming

You have my word on that[/QUOTE]

Okay you have my attention. I guess I will wait to make a purchase. I'm likely not going to get much flying until spring anyway. Any idea when this new product is being released?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt45255 View Post
I'm sure the crusty old purists thought the same thing when electronic ccpm and gyros for the tail first came on the scene. Their shorts must surely be wedged up their cracks now with flybarless and all the stabilization systems that we have.

I say, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks? Fly what you like and others will fly what they like.
johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in