Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > AHF Aeolus

AHF Aeolus AHF Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Aeolus 50 3d CF build thread.. some pics from the build

I ordered an Aeolus 50 3D CF last week and thought I'd post some pics of a few things. I'm very impressed with the design so far and the build has been really enjoyable. I've been out of the hobby for the last few years but the current equipment that is out there drew me back in. I'm going to set it up with 2s unregulated cyclics and I'm trying to decide on going FBL or just run an AR7100R with a GY520. Most likely I'll go standard for now and convert to FBL after a few months.

So my overall impressions so far (still have to build head and linkages) is this is a fantastic design. The quality of the parts has been top notch. The only issue I've had so far is the tail rod lever support (that mounts right below the torque tube drive module) didn't quite fit in the frame. I had to shave off about 0.5mm of carbon fiber with a razor and it fit right in. So far every pre-drilled hole and lined up perfectly.

Anyway I'm not gonna post step by step build photos, but rather some of the things I've found (so far) that have really impressed me about this design. I'm also working on a timelapse build video I'll post up.

Just an overall shot for reference. The first serial numbered heli I've owned :-)

I love this.. inspection holes for the torque tube drive gears, pin and easy access for link pliers to the tail rod linkage!

Note the fuel tank protected from the frame by rubber. Kit also included 2 fuel link shut-off clips. Third bearing for mainshaft above tank.

Another kick-butt design feature.. the skid struts hold the frame spacers for easy install/removal of the skids. The engine will come out without removing the skids also!

Nice tail rod guides with bolt and nut.. Also note boom support X bracket included with kit.

Super clean tail box. Very easy to work on this tail.
ZZ3Astro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Awesome, love my kit right now too.

Did you get CNC grips and button?
B2TheEYo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've got whatever grips come with the CF kit.. I think they're plastic grips, metal hub and not sure about the button. Haven't opened that bag yet
Old 04-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think you got the CNC parts, there are two levels for the kit, the GF with majority plastic and belt or the CF with TT with CNC grips/tail/button.

I'm debating to get the AHF grips and button in CNC when I can, and toss on Align CNC bits for the seesaw/mixing arms.

OR

Go the alternative route and toss on a Kasama/Avant/Outrage/Guai head and tail. I'll be sticking with the Belt, I'm not a TT guy, my flight ground is quiet uneven and I kill belt's on my 250's non-stop. LOL

I couldn't sit easy with the extra $30 in repairs for more gears on a consistent biases.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow this just keeps getting BETTER! I just looked in the bag and you're right.. CNC grips.

Nothing wrong with a belt drive.. they are certainly more forving to those unplanned tail trenching sessions. Lord knows I split many pair of NHP tailblades on my raptors and never had to replace the belt because of it! Well, maybe once LOL.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought i would show a pic of a new canopy design idea
Chopha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Where do I put in my order for one? That's NICE!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2TheEYo View Post
Where do I put in my order for one? That's NICE!
See Chris at AHF-USA
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
BC
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think he meant where to get a canopy, he has an aeolus listed in his sig.
BC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Um, yeah I was referring to the canopy, I like it, I want one like that, so if it's custom and you did it, name your price.. LOL

I got my own Aeolus, I <3 it.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

By the way ZZ, you'll wanna get CNC cyclic arms and tail blade grips. Those plastic goodies snap like tissue.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry Mike, didn't read your sig. As for the canopy it is a trail product at the moment and maybe coming out with future kits depending on build price they are sheeted with a carbon mat to make the canopy stronger. Once again contact Chris he may be able to place an order for you but I am sure it was a limited release.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oh so this is a potential production canopy? Niiice!

I assumed you made it or bought it 3rd party. Awesome thanks I'll give Chris an email.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2TheEYo View Post
By the way ZZ, you'll wanna get CNC cyclic arms and tail blade grips. Those plastic goodies snap like tissue.
You talking about mixing arms on the head? Are they likely to fail in flight or are you talking about breaking from even a minor mishap?

Good news on the heli front.. I just ordered the rest of my goods today so might be in the air next weekend if all goes well. Final setup:

YS56
6008HS receiver
2s 2700 Lipo
no regulator
3 X BLS451
1 X S3155 (thr) narrow style
Multigov Pro
Switchglo Pro
GY520/BLS251
Radiosouth inline 5.1 v regulator on the 251 servo

So we'll see how all this does on 8v. Should be a rockin ship as I've saved weight everywhere I could (well I could have left off the switchpro I guess)l
Old 05-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

No, nothing failure wise. The push-pull cranks for the cyclic, the first ones after the servo wheel and before the swash. Plastic ones always snap in minor blade strikes. I bough Align Trex CNC ones and modified them. Perfect fit on one side, the other required some cheesing. Beats buying them $10 goodies every crash/ops scenario.

That's one killer setup! Can't wait to see her in the air, videos!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok cool...I will keep a lookout for some upgrade parts on those items. As for the videos, don't expect to see anything too impressive unless I find a good pilot to put behind the sticks LOL. But I'll be able to demonstrate the power to weight and collective response at least.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

No worries there, I bought two sets of HK carbon "3D" branded blades, $20 how can you go wrong? Their stiff, nothing Radix stiff-like but stiff, they'll do the job to beat-in and practice with.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I see what you mean about the arms being flimsy. I also feel the same about the mixing arms on the head. I finally got my BLS451's installed and was able to put some loading on the grips. I see metal parts in the future, although I like to have some sacrificial plastic in the path to the servos.

I've also ran into a major problem with the fan hub/clutch assy. Runout! The collet was machined off center.

Also I've discovered (as others already had) that the hex screws that come with this heli are very soft and the heads strip very easily.

Having a rough go of it with this heli so far and it's not even in the air yet. I guess they're going to overnight me a new collet so maybe I'll be in the air this weekend.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

I've never had plastic that wasn't flimsy. Luckily, Align Trex parts slap right on, everything besides the frame components (frame sides, landing skids, frame inserts).

I'm in the process debating what to do for the head. I want all CNC. But I wanna swing away from the "Align" designed head that's on majority of models. I really wanna have a go with the Avant style head, I see them on a lot of models, RJX, Outrage, Kasama, Synergy. Something new you know? I'm trying to find a company that sells the full head for their models that fits on the main shaft diameter of the T-600, and of course isn't $250+ freaking dollars (cough Kasama). I liked the Outrage, but it's black, I want all silver, so may swing for the RJX or Synergy?

Yeah my clutch assembly was already built, I stripped majority of the screws to service and rebuild the parts. What a bitch. Ah well, otherwise the kit is perfection.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
BC
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Kits back in stock at h/k. No parts yets tho'
BC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in