Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor Temp telemetry

Hey guys, I have telemetry with my Futaba Tx, and have just bought a temp sensor. Where is it best to place the sensor wire, and what temps should I be looking for?

I was thinking at the back of the cylinder just before the head, in a fin with Arctic Silver glue to hold it there.

Cheers, Rob.
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
rctintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best place for the sensor are at the bottom of the engine on the crankcase, away from the muffler. It must be positioned between the first and second silver fin on the crankcase form the heatsink (head). Temps are between 100-120 degrees celsuis and are only a guideline. Remember, ambient temps play a important roll. If you are used to fly at 110 degrees celcuis on a hot day, don't try to get that on a cold day.

A commen mistake people do, are to go leaner when it's cold and richer when it's hot. That happens when you only fly by temperature and that's wrong. Colder are richer and warmer ambient temps are leaner. The sound, performance and smoke of the engine are the keyfactors here. Temperature are only a rough guideline. Good luck.
Futaba 8FG Super
cmouton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 03:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to give you a idea, I had telemetry on my nitro birds in the beginning and were constantly checking the temps and tuned to stay between 100-120 degrees celcuis. Most of the time, the performance were not there.

After a few weeks I got fedup, and ignored the temp readings and tuned it according to sound and performance and a new world opened before me. The performance were excellent and my temps were running above 120 dergrees celcuis. Then I bought a ir tempgun and checked the temp on the ground and compared it to the telemetry temps. The telemetry were between 10-20 degrees hotter. On the ground the telemetry showed for example 110 degrees and the ir gun on the same spot(and time) showed 90 degrees.

I removed the telemetry tempsensors and never looked back. It's two years later and I have never cooked a engine.

Just for the record, It were Spektrum telemetry.
Futaba 8FG Super
cmouton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I must say that I am finding it very useful for now, understand that it is only a reference to keep out of big trouble. For instance, I knew when my mixture is getting to a good point when the temperature rises and head speed also on telemetry is holding the highest speed well. I did go a bit far once ie found lean but that was useful as confirmation too.
Yes its a bit of comfort but understand its not 100% for tuning and important not to get distracted, nearly got me on that, take care not to look at the TX figures too often!!
I have my sensor on the OS105 blue head part, opposite side to the exhaust with some Arctic epoxy and RTV (Bathroom silicone) over the top of that.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR + II
Alun
CyprusFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey thanks guys.

For sure, its just for a guide, more so as an over temp alarm to protect the motor.

Having only flown electric 90's for the last 2+ years, I want to get the feel back on my awesome Synergy N7. Just don't want to cook the motor while getting it on song!!
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
Old 02-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Know the feeling in the same boat, fighting my 105 still but a few irons in the fire!
Fantastic few flights so far when it goes well and hopefully get to the bottom of my carb problems soon. Alarms are a good last resort money saver I think.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR + II
Alun
CyprusFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

12 flights in now and the 105 is purring, so I may not even bother to fit the temp sensor, but it would be an interesting thing to do seeing as I have it here now.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Somebody can share pictures of the temp sensor installed in the motor?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to wrap the TM1000 probe around the cylinder fins above the exhaust header and below the head.

And I was getting different readings from the IR thermometer and the TM1000 - the TM1000 was always reading higher.

I recently installed a CSM CarbSmart and their recommended placement for the CarbSmart's thermo probe is on top of the and as close to the glowplug as possible.
Their documentations says this is the most reliable location to pick up the true temperature of the combustion chamber.

So, I am going to try that location for my TM1000 probe also.

I am also going to add a dab of Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive to the probe (http://www.arcticsilver.com/ta.htm).
I have used for a while for for a couple of things on my nitro helis.
It says it is permanent, but you can detach your part if you need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-23 16.16.05.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	604449   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-23 16.15.32.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	604450   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-23 16.14.42.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	604451  
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in