Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450L Dominator tail wagging

So just TRIED to maiden this thing today and I can't get the tail not to wag. I'm using 3gx 4.0 and I've gone through all the gyro settings on my dx8 and still wants to wag uncontrollably. Can someone give me a starting point on the software and radio gyro settings? The more detailed you can be the more it would help me. I'm going with vbar as soon as I can but in the meantime I'd like to fly it without hitting TH before I'm off the ground. Thanks in advance

Team turnigy
Team microheli
Team lynx
Team
daybed07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wound up going back to 3.1. I couldnt get rid of my wag. Dissappeared after going back to 3.1.
Skinny_j is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I may try that. I just ordered a mini vbar for it lol

Team turnigy
Team microheli
Team lynx
Team KBDD
Team CastleCreations
Old 09-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you check your tail servo as well as mechanical stuff, too? Seems like a lot of the time the wag comes from one of those and the FBL either amplifies it or covers it up.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go into the align software & check your "rudder locking gain" adjust down from the default 70% down to 45-50% You should find the tail twitch should have gone if your transmitter gyro settings are correct.
adrian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the default for rudder locking gain with v4 is 50. Some are suggesting to lower it to the minimum of 30.

But I agree with daybed07's fix for the 3GX. Replace it with a different brand of FBL controller.
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 450dfc fitted with 3gx & 550 with V-bar. Both fly as well as each other & with both systems it just takes a little time adjusting some software settings to get them flying well. Just throwing more cash at a model will not make it fly better, setting the heli software correctly will.
adrian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I have a 450dfc fitted with 3gx & 550 with V-bar. Both fly as well as each other & with both systems it just takes a little time adjusting some software settings to get them flying well. Just throwing more cash at a model will not make it fly better, setting the heli software correctly will.
How wrong you are. Replacing my 3GX's was the best money I ever spent.
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
+1 on that. I replaced both of mine with vbars on my 700 and 550 and they are so much more solid than with the 3gx. Not saying 3gx is garbage at all, at one point I swore by them UNITIL I tried vbar. It took a lot less time to set up and the tail is second to none. It HAS improved my flying to where I'm no not as "fearful" to try new manouvers <spelling. One may dial in a 3gx to fly similarly but how much time and patience will be stretched?? I have more $$$ than patience LOL. That's why my new vbar will be in the week and ill be out flying by Sunday. \m/

Team turnigy
Team microheli
Team lynx
Team KBDD
Team CastleCreations
Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had to drop the rudder locking gain down to 30 to get rid of the wag on my 500.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

there are a few threads on problems with the new 4.0 software having a bug for the tail and people going back to the prev version..

Quote:
my tail was setup on the second flight with my vbar and its now rock solid.. with the new price its hard to find anything wrong with the mini-v
michael88997 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put a mini vBar (pro) in mine since the get go and I'm still fighting tail wag with tail gyro set to 40. Must be something other than the FBL controller but for the moment I'm scratching my head. Anyone running a mini vBar in this thing without wag care to share settings? Thanks.
Neo, Vbar; Mini and Silverline, VControl , DX18
cruzurr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I could never sort out my 450L's tail with the 3GX, I drilled a hole closer to the servo (ca. 7,5mm) and played with every parameter in the 3GX but nothing made the tail as I wanted it.
I had a gain between 26 and 28 with the stock servo hole and the tail would not wag except when making very fast right turns. Still on punch outs no amount of precompensation would prevent the tail from blowing to the right (nose turning left).
I put a Spartan VX1n on and it is 1000% better in all aspects, the tail is rock solid.

Here is the thread I wrote about my problems at the time
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=574977&page=2
Taz00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with the others about replacing the 3GX. I am a big fan of Align helicopters, but I won't use there gyros again, that is for sure.
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey.

Tail setup on V4 is a little different than with previous versions to get the best out of the setup.

Rudder lock gain does need lowering, stock setting is 70% and that is too much, same as on previous firmwares. As already advised 45-50% is perfect in most cases.
Combine this with a shorter servo horn, I use a small disk putting the control ball about 6.5-7mm out from centre.

With V4 you must trim the tail in rate mode, this seems to balance out any of the bounce/overshoot issues, this is also combined with setting zero delay in the software.
To do this connect your pc lead and go to the settings page, flick your rudder stick to small or large heli and observe the delay value go down to zero. Now leave the 3GX to time out and reinitialise. If you press the set button it doesn't seem to remember the setting.

Make sure you have told the 3GX which way up it is mounted and programmed your throtle travel range into the system for the tail precompensensation to work correctly.

With this tail setup the 3GX works very well. It is no Vbar and it's price and time in the game means it cannot be comparrd to one, but with a little time and knowledge to get the setup just right it does work.
Coolice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I brought the gain down to 30 and 25 for idle up 1. No issues with ver 4.0.

Please do check mechanicals too.
Daily69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX has a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
If a software has a problem then it is not our fault not to run the hardware .some think that it might be my lack of knowledge that cause not to run this software/hardware .this is wrong ,that is the manufacterers responsable to make it as reliable and ordenligt as posible.so everybody could use it ,i have seen lots and lots of people include me have problem with this litle 3gx box and everybody think that this is becuase of me.I realy hope some day some one could stand up and ....... cheers fly safe
Al3000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Trex 450L Dominator.. 1 TSET - 3D..3gx versión 4 (4 min 19 sec)

What is the problem with 3GX version 4?. Premiere my helicopter with her and everything's great.
imagine 50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had tail wag with my 450L on an iKon. I tried lowered the gain and still had some slight tail wag. It was better, but still there. What fixed it for me was adjusting my throttle curves. I noticed that the tail hunting disappeared when I idled up, so I set my throttle curve higher in normal. It seems like running a higher head speed solved it. It's worth a try.

As far as the issue being with the 3gx, can't really help there. I read enough reviews to stay away from it and go with a beast x, iKon or really anything else.
perrybd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

before you look into all these software possibilities, have you checked that you don't have a faulty bearing in your tail grips? I have seen it time and time again on the trex 450, tail grip bearing fails for no apparent reason and causes a hunting wag
Trex 700L NEO / Mikado Logo 600SX Vbar 6.0/ Trex 470LM NEO, Oxy 2 CC Talon 25 NEO, 450 pro vbar 6.0pro/ Trex 700n DFC OS105HZR, Velocity50 Vbar 6.0pro -Oxy 5 NEO-/Trex 600efl PRO (Night Flyer) vbar/CC HV80 ......ALL VBAR CONTROL
Stevin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in