Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really don’t get the point of this conversation.

Someone says that the very best FBL unit is VBar. Other says that IKON is the best. So, what does it really mean?

From time to time I read new threads asking the same question over and over again: which FBL system is best? and I always wonder if there really is a "one-size-fits-all" in this matter.

My flying style is sport, very light 3d and I reckon that my requirements for a FBL system are different from someone who fly hard 3D style; what would be the requirements of those who flies scale, not even sport?

So the real question would be: Which FBL system works for you, for which helicopter? for which size? for which setup, for which flying style and WHY.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Strictly speaking, the thread is titled fbl choice of the year 2015. So how many fbl units were released this year? I'm not sure about the Neuron, but the vbar neo takes the prize as far as I am concerned. But not sure what other units may have been released this year.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
So the real question would be: Which FBL system works for you, for which helicopter? for which size? for which setup, for which flying style and WHY.

Carlos
Most people don't like fiddling with their FBL units and hope that once they get the tail gain adjusted that their FBL unit flies well with no other modification.

How many times do you hear, I put it right in and and it flew great out of the box!

As you learn to fly better you get more demanding and you care how your FBL unit behaves in more ways.

You can also learn to compensate for the control loop of a given FBL controller such that another feels different to you.

The firmware on these units changes periodically and sometimes that has a dramatic impact on how the helis fly. So even someone who has tried out a number of FBL controllers may not have a good reference point for the latest firmware on one they tested earlier.

The other big divide is over price. Lot's of people will say this is the best based on the price point because they consider another too expensive.

All I'm saying is that this is very subjective.

I only have experience with one FBL controller which I'm comfortable with, but I'm in no position to make any comparative statements.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very well said dude. Very good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
Most people don't like fiddling with their FBL units and hope that once they get the tail gain adjusted that their FBL unit flies well with no other modification.

How many times do you hear, I put it right in and and it flew great out of the box!

As you learn to fly better you get more demanding and you care how your FBL unit behaves in more ways.

You can also learn to compensate for the control loop of a given FBL controller such that another feels different to you.

The firmware on these units changes periodically and sometimes that has a dramatic impact on how the helis fly. So even someone who has tried out a number of FBL controllers may not have a good reference point for the latest firmware on one they tested earlier.

The other big divide is over price. Lot's of people will say this is the best based on the price point because they consider another too expensive.

I only have experience with one FBL controller which I'm comfortable with, but I'm in no position to make any comparative statements.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Can't wait to hear your opinion once you get your Neo in the air.

At my skill level I can't tell the difference between the Gpro and Neo in flight. They both setup with a great flying machine out of the box. And the Align software is almost identical to Mikado so there's no difference there.

Feature set paired with the VControl is what made me switch to all Neo.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Exactly Mark. Very well said!

And that is the point; everything is very subjective!

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Strictly speaking, the thread is titled fbl choice of the year 2015. So how many fbl units were released this year? I'm not sure about the Neuron, but the vbar neo takes the prize as far as I am concerned. But not sure what other units may have been released this year.
sorry if misunderstand, what i mean is favourite FBL system for year 2015 .. can be also 3GX align if have pilots who enjoyed it.

still looking for spartan vortex users..any good comments ?
Xfreak3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
I really don’t get the point of this conversation.

Someone says that the very best FBL unit is VBar. Other says that IKON is the best. So, what does it really mean?

From time to time I read new threads asking the same question over and over again: which FBL system is best? and I always wonder if there really is a "one-size-fits-all" in this matter.

My flying style is sport, very light 3d and I reckon that my requirements for a FBL system are different from someone who fly hard 3D style; what would be the requirements of those who flies scale, not even sport?

Carlos
There is no best FBL unit for everyone.

BUT, these threads always devolve into a pissing match about this VS that.
I usually try to avoid reading these threads as they're all the same and always BS. (couldn't help myself this time!)
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No need butthurt.its good to put in reviews .. so other can use some guide to choose their fbl systems.
Dont need your reply if you aint helping dude
Xfreak3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krea View Post
My spirit direct from Spirit was 195 with latest exhange rate. Pretty sweet deal.
Some scary stuff with spirit https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=710551

I'd rather have rescue not work then shoot off in the wrong direction.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1071 View Post

This is but another reason in which you get what you pay for.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
This is but another reason in which you get what you pay for.
Yeah the neo is a simple as assigning the switch you want to use. Nothing to mess up. I've seen a bunch of threads of people messing self level/rescue up on other systems and sending their heli in to the ground when they test it.

hmm I wonder if I could tweak a bank on the neo to be more of a self level then rescue? I fly a lot out back and have way to many trees to hit rescue because I'm usually flying under the canopy of the 100ft oaks.
I'll have to play with it so I can have a home and away bank on my helis.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #73 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:

I've also had mine, another brand of FBL also go wrong direction on rescue. Was testing so recovery was no issue. Was repeatable same flight. A bit of a shocker when it speeds towards Mother Earth!
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfreak3D View Post
No need butthurt.its good to put in reviews .. so other can use some guide to choose their fbl systems.
Dont need your reply if you aint helping dude
You prove my point. Reviews mean nothing. Each individual has their own preferences and likes about a system(some are even fanboys)

And I'm entitled to my opinion as are you, please respect it(as I do yours).
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm... MSH / Ikon has long fixed this... Probably Mikado will not miss something like this, but I'd say its not a safe bet to use or rely on a V1 rescue. (If it was NOT there in a product, then is put there all of a sudden, even if software is V6, rescue is V1...)

They could hit the "Trigonometry PID Loop Lottery" and get it exactly right the first time, but then you could go to the gas station buy a $1 Lotto ticket and next week buy all the helis you ever dreamed of too...

Good luck in any event... I'd expect Spirit, Spartan, Eznov and yes even Mikado to fail in the right set of circumstances... Unexpected vibrations AFTER start, unexpected / improper initialization, etc.

They can test all they like. Mikado arguably has the MOST experience, and Spartan has potentially the BEST test pilot (Bert) so they are stacking the deck where they can, but we don't all fly like Bert, and sometimes helis get a little vibration in flight... That's when you really want the rescue to work and NEED the rescue to work... otherwise you're just making a charitable donation...
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spartan vx1e everyday😀😀😀😀
hamishmorley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the end, it's going to boil down to what works the best for each of us. Most of the controllers mentioned are awesome!
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

As with almost everything in this hobby, it comes down to personal preference. What you like. I may not.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which one is best?

Which one can you tune?

That one is probably the best.
GAUI NX7, TREX 600N, Goblin 570, Gaui X3L, DX7G2, AMA#970963 Citizen 420
907Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Interesting. I've seen these accounts for ALL brand of FBLs so I take them with a grain of salt. I have had over 20 recoveries with Spirit no issue so I trust it, also if it ever were to misbehave the second I take off momentary it stops recovery.

I'm not saying others are not great I just like the spirit feature set for the price and the integration with other radios. Also, they continue to improve it rapidly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in