Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Esmart

Esmart E-Sky Esmart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default esmart 550

Just wanting to let everyone know that the Esmart 550 flys very good. I'm using the stock motor with a phoenix 110 esc. I have been very impressed with it. The heli tracks very good and most of all it does hard 3d with the stock motor. I'm going to see what it will do with a 1515 1.5y Neu motor .

the only thing I did to this heli out of the box was disassemble the head and Loctite everything.

I really enjoy flying this little heli, It's hard to believe the price of the heli versus the way it flys.

I will have some video very soon of it in action...

henry caldwell
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Well its a 600

I'm about finished building mine, just waiting on some stuff to reach... get us some video if you can.

PS why did you go with 110A esc?
DierWolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

that's the only spare esc I had.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

well i say it's a 550 because it's nowhere close to being as big as my 600's
Old 05-23-2008, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

H to the C, Are you running a 6S setup? or a 5S? Do you have any source for pinions? ( I need an 11T or 10 T)
So far I'm enjoying mine right now and I have been flying it more than my trex 600's. Thanks for any info you can share. I agree it's a 550. I'm thinking of putting in a swift 620 tail boom system on mine to stretch it to a 600 + size.
damyxz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Well 90mm extra length to me isnt much

Can you post picture side by side? Perferably with Canopies off and front trays even. The belt CP also looked much bigger with a trex canopy on.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Henry....

Do you really think the plastic belt drive gears etc. will hold up to more power??
I have one of these...and it does fly great...especially for the $$
but the belt drive system scares me just a little...

Ty

Ya gonna test fly the nitro Phazor ??
Tyree is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had a mishap yesterday with the e-smart. I was doing inverted funnels when suddenly the tails lost hold and heli started spinning. I was able to manage an auto(props to non driven tail) and I found out that the plastic tail case fractured in several areas. Lost 1 bearing, slider arm and a piece of the tail case. No other damage was done. I already ordered a swift 620 metal tail case, a swift 620 main gear, swift 620 tail transmission gear, boom, belt and a 10 and 11 tooth pinion. I think the head speed with the 12T pinion is too high for a 6S setup. I can't find a modulus .8 pinion with 10 or 11 T size, so I switched to the swift(mod.1.0) gear train. Has anybody found a source for 10T pinion on .8 module?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

POst up those mods of the tail stuff when you get it...
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, My contact person for the swift 620 parts is unable to get the metal tail case due to it being backordered. I will for now stick with the metal E-smart tail case, swift tail shaft, pulley, boom and transmission gear. I hope my parts comes in tomorrow. I also will be trying the TIG 550mm Z-weave carbon blades. I will post more info next week.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Is this the tailbox your referring too?

Espirit has it in stock for $40.00

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=6428
Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes that's what it is. I already ordered the e-smart metal tailcase though. I will get this one if I'm not happy with the one I ordered. Hopefully my package will be here this week so I can test it on the Saturday.
I have been flying my trex 600 in the meantime.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The esmart version seem and looks to be the exact same design as the cnc tail box for the Belt CP, jsut 100 times bigger LOL.

To be truthful with you the cnc stuff they are making for the esmart other than the main blade grips seem to not have much attention put to them, in other words they seem like straight cut lumps of metal with no nice smooth curves which is why i like the the 620's tail box much nicer.

So your saying the transmission box for the 620 will also work? whats the benefits? better plastics? is there a cnc version?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been comparing the parts with my friend's swift 620( he is a factory demo pilot) and my problem is the lack of available pinions for the e-smart. The swift gear system is a 1.0 module and is readily available in different tooth count. The tail transmission gear for the swift uses a 4mm pin but I will use a different set of bearings so I can use the 3mm pin that the e-smart uses. The swift's belt also has bigger teeth similar to a trex 600's belt. I can use a trex 600 tail shaft and pulley(I have plenty as spares) and will be using the trex 600 TR hub, grips and slider(I also have as spares). I am shooting for a head speed of about 1900-2000 rpm @ 80% efficiency. On paper, the stock set up will give me over 2100 rpm. The tail gearing of the stock setup is 1: 4.62 which theoretically gives me about 9933 rpm's. I think this is too high of speed for a tail rotor system. (Which led to the tail case fracturing). The swift's gearing might give me a slightly slower tail rotor speed which will be in the 7000's. I think the integrity of the helicopter will be safer at this RPM range doing 3D. I am just experimenting at this stage, I will be using the e-smart for a practice helicopter and as soon as I get it to where I want it to be, it will stay that way. I still have my trex 600's to toy with and a swift 620 coming in.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Ok sounds good and yes 9K rpm on the tail is quite high...

Let me know how you get on with the tail conversion i may want to do the same thing so post how-to's with part no.s

Before i sign out.

You mention tooth depth .... if i buy the tail box from the swift can i use it with the belt that comes with esmart?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope, you cant' use the e-smart belt. The swift transmission gear has a pulley designed to work with a large toothed belt(trex 600/swift), unless there is a way to make an e-smart belt pulley mate with the swift's transmission gear.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Ok...

So your saying the Tail Shaft w/ Pully from the Swift cannot work with the esmart belt.

So here are some questions.

1. Can the Tail Shaft w/Pully from the Esmart work in the Swift CNC tailbox
2. if 1 not possible, can the tailshaft pully thats on the esmart be swapped onto the swift tailshaft.

If none of those are possible then that obviously means we need to just just the entire swift tail assembly (Transmission, Boom an Tailbox) on the Esmart... which brings up one more question.

Does the transmission box fit and align up properly with the Smart frame an is the gear pitch the same between the esmart main gear and the swift transmission.

Thats alot to figure out on my end as i cannot simply walk to a store that sells swifts and compare parts...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Ok here are the 2 pullies from each system

first the Esky tail shaft pully... Seems to secure the same way with the 2mm pin.

and the Swift's pully.

The difference in the belt can be seen , swift/trex uses square belt style while Esky uses rounded.

Seems to me the swap can be made quite easily so long the tail shafts are the same diameter.

Same goes for the transmission gear on both, its just swifts its one piece molded while the esky one is 2 piece.. and i see no reason what so ever the swifts transmission gear cannot fit directly into place on the esky transmission box as they are held and secured the exact same way.

Your thoughts
Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The swift 620's transmission gear pin is 4mm diameter , and I think the e-smart uses a 3mm pin( I might be wrong though...just eyeballing the pin). The e-smart tail shaft will work in the swift metal TR cage(might need some spacers) I got my parts today and I will be doing the repair tomorrow. I also got the 550 mm TIG Z-weave blades...looks awesome and really stiff. They came well balanced CG wise and just a small amount of tape to really balance it out. My swift parts has not arrived yet...maybe next week. I might post some pics later on.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK I got everything together and I had a ball today. Started with some circuits then mild 3D and some hard 3D. I got 3 flights no crashes and everything held up. Some slight vibes on spool up nothing else. The metal tail cage held good. I slightly shortened the stock tail blades about !/4 inch since I am still using stock gearing.
Head speed seems higher but the tail held good in FBF's and tailslides. No problems with tic-tocs and inverted funnels. Just had a great day, 3 flights- no crashes. I am still thinking that the head speed is too high(mods will follow). I just found out that the swift 620/550 main gear has the same diameter as the stock E-smart gear(100mm). The mods to get a lower head speed consist of the following parts:
1. swift 620 tail transmission gear
2. swift 620/550 main gear
3. swift 550/620 belt
4. swift 620/550 TR shaft, and pulley.
5. 11T module 1.0 5mm bore pinion
I will try and borrow(mooch) these from my friend and I will post the conversion process later.
Anyway here are some pics of the E-smart with the z-weave CF blades.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	49983   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	49984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	49985   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	49986  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in