Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gas Powered Thoughts

Gas Powered Thoughts Advice for Gas Helicopter Success from Carey Shurley

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
cdl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw0513 View Post
Thanks Chris for the reply. Are you the Whiplash designer?
Yep that's me, but I had lots of help and input from Bobby Watts, Carey Shurley, and others along the way.

Dyno curves would be a big help to get in the ball park, but in the end there'll still be plenty of trial and error in what works best for the heli. But if it wasn't for trial and error, there would be much stuff in the world

Please don't spin an uncontained clutch to thousands of rpms. That just sounds like a good way to get a clutch shoe in the face. The T700/lynx sounds like a good place to start. A wrap or two of electrical tape should get you a workable gap.

Cooling is probably your other big issue to deal with. All the speed and torque in the world doesn't matter if the motor starts welding itself to itself after a couple minutes.

-Chris
cdl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdl View Post
Yep that's me, but I had lots of help and input from Bobby Watts, Carey Shurley, and others along the way.
I'd like to come visit your office if ever I got to the US!

The electrical tape idea is a good one - it is explained very well in the Rave ENV manual.

For cooling duties I am going to try two Compass Odin 90 fans. In the Odin apllication with a nitro 90, one fans is apparently enough. I can barrow an infrared camera from work so should be able to get a good idea of cooling performance from the thermal images. I'll post some photos when I get to that stage.

Carey,

Pls feel free to move this thread if it is not what you want in your forum.
brw0513 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd really like to have a post on balancing & blueprinting the Zenoah engines. Another topic could include porting, but that is more power / RPM usage dependant. I'd like more of an idea on how to reduce engine vibs,
Old 02-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spark Plugs

hey Carey,
how about a topic on Spark Plugs ?.
you could show pictures of plugs in different stages of tuning, rich, lean and correctly tuned. you can show how the same type plug works and looks in both a stock and in a modified engine. and you can test different brands of plugs and test different heat ranges, I would realy like to see a test on different heat ranges.
what you think ?
Lieutenant Dan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

good idea, although there are a lot of topics on spark plugs and tuning in other places. The challenge is to do something thats not already covered by topics like those

As to the blueprinting and performance modifications, thats the purview of the engine modifiers. They don't like to share what they do or more importantly why for obvious reasons

I hope to be able to do some more objective power comparisons over time but I don't yet have the tools to do that

carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default NX4 Gas

Hey Carey,

I think the NX4 gas heli could open the door to gas power for a lot of pilots. However I'm thinking that it will take experienced experts to lead the way and map out the pitfalls before gas newbies will be successful.

I'd like to see this topic covered before I dip my toe in the gas tank

Thx
Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doug Darby has one flying I think. For now I'll stick with the OS engines, the Goblin 570 conversion will probably make you drool.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default begginner

I am new to rc helicopters this was my first summer. I have a 200srx, blade 450 3d and a blade 550x. I am going to get a 550x or 600x but a friend of mine who has been helping me with this new hobby is a die hard nitro 3d heli pilot and said its cheaper to go nitro once you get bigger than 500 size and my reply was that since sport flying is what im interested in than a gas helicopter would be even cheaper and not as messy. He said nitro is better and gave a lot of reasons he didn't like gas helis. Can anyone tell me a good gas helicopter that is reliable and about a 600 size , what flight times I could expect and what kind of maintance issues should I expect.Lets face it electrics are not much fuss untile you crash but the flight times suck.
eightyduece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

in the 600 class, you're alternatives are conversions or the Century Radikal 20.

in terms of conversions your options are:

HWC (century) - Trex 600
Helibug - Trex 600
Leviathan - Goblin 630
OS Max - Trex 600

in terms of ready for gas, the only 600 size I know of is the Radikal 20

for smaller models Gaui has the GX4 and there is a Leviathan Goblin 570 in development

for larger (700) models there are a lot of options
stephaneoulhen likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in