Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main blade spacers

Hi all. Just finishing a G700C build. Does everyone use the main blade grip spacers? If so, how do you pry them in there? The stock sab blades fit the grips pretty well with no spacer. It seems like I would damage the grips if I was to spread them enough to fit the main blade and both spacers. Thanks.
Rotorexploder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are not mandatory.....don't use them if you don't need them.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It depends on which blades you are using. Some have a thicker root. I prefer to run the blades that have the thinner root so I can use the spacers (although I have thicker root blades at the moment). The spacers keep the blade root from getting chewed up but the grips. NEVER bend your grips to accommodate a smaller blade root, or to add spacers. That's a very bad idea.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Speaking about the 770, the spacers are an important part of blade retention.
They give a large, flat contact area between the grip and blade for proper blade support.
The spacers providing a flat surface against the blade which will prevent the grips from eating and wearing into the blade itself.
Without the spacers you run the risk of damaging a very expensive pair of blades especially if you frequently blade fold for transportation.
The aggravation of installing them is outweighed by the protection they give to the blades.

I find it easiest to place the spacers on top and bottom of the blade with half of the washer sticking out from the blade.
This allows the washers to enter the grip first with the blade following which will gently spread the grip open as you wiggle the blade up, down while swinging the blade gently fore and aft.
A little finger pressure is needed behind the spacers as you slide them in to keep them going into the grip as the blade slides in place.
Once you have the blade and spacers in approximate line with the grip bolt hole, use something blunt to stick in the holes to line them up for the bolt.
You really should use them. If you have different blades other than OEM it's still a good idea to use large washers/shims to protect and provide good retention of those big blades.
You can see what happens to a blade without shims or washers by looking at the tail blades on the 770 which has a similar grip design to the main rotor.
You will see damage from the tail grips on the blade surface.
In this case you can't find washers or shims to protect the blade so file down all the sharp machined edges of the grips with a diamond file to round them off slightly. In taking this step you will have less change of damage to the blades from the grips.
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in