Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Joining the 300X club by "accident"

The other day I was pretty much dumped by my girlfriend for being an idiot which led to me spending an entire night at a bar drinking (which is something I never do), losing track of time and space. Thanks to the powers that be or possibly some good Samaritans I'll never know, I ended up safely in my house with a pounding headache and unable to recall a good portion of the past night ala "Hangover" movie style. Fortunately, there were no lions in my room, I didn't find any tattoos on myself etc etc. The only irregularity I've managed to detect I found after reading my congratulations email from eBay for purchasing a 300X with a bonus gift offer of 2 additional batteries, which I'll be receiving this week.

Granted, I could've done worse and examples are infinite, but now that I'm stuck here I'm looking for some kind soul to help me not feel like such an idiot for buying another thing where the nearest open field is 90 miles away (other side of the island I live in).

The few things that concern me is the fact some people buy it just to fly till they wreck it and extract its beast thing to transfer to a more deserving aircraft. I would hope this thing has earned much more reputation than credit than that, otherwise I'll suck it up and eventually take on the project to dust off my 450 3D (which I rarely fly anyway) into a 450X. Also, I've seen pictures of this thing and it's not that smaller than a 450, which I find weird when people say this is also an indoor heli, so to me it sounds akin to operating a lawnmower indoors unless you're privileged to dwell in a place with a bathroom the size of a football field, so more power to them. So, any thoughts on it as a beginner heli for someone who has yet to fly inverted, just a few wide turns with an MCPX BL?

Thanks.

J.I.

Last edited by ignaceous; 12-17-2013 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Internet Etiquette
ignaceous is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

It can be flown indoors as long as you stay within the limits of your ability. It can be tough not to try something you're not ready to do.When I first got mine I was still a newby flying a 130x. It felt like it was flying itself compared to the 130x. I could easily hover it and move it around in the warehouse I work at. Now I can 3d it in a 30x30 foot area.
TheVortex3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

the only time I have seen it flown indoors is by a pro in an indoor gym or something similar. Otherwise, indoors is not recommended unless you just want to hover in the garage with no cars.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love it when drunk me buys sober me something.
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

And I have a story on that. It includes a complete rebuild of a 450X that catapulted itself onto the ceiling inside the garage. Result: Pride damaged beyond repair and a repair bill of over 200 dollars.
HarryR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgymr View Post
I love it when drunk me buys sober me something.
I had to laugh after reading this one, because this is what it boils down to. I guess I could've done much worse.

Cheers.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 300x really is a great heli, so much more stable than the mcpx's and 450 3d. Drunk you did well, now fly it a few times, get drunk and go to the lynx website, get some shiny stuff. Enjoy the 300x it's a really easy beginner heli just add a little expo for a while.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Before you even spool up, get a frame brace. Astroids or Lynx. IMO #1 upgrade to get.
I've had my 2 since release date. Cheap compared to main shaft snapping mid flight.
Love flying my 2. 1 still stock except for motor and cf blades, the other changed out cyclic servos,tail servo and motor. Both have frame braces and never had a problem since. Don't think flying indoors is a good option.
chuteopn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very interesting way to get a helicopter hehe. I think you will enjoy the 300 as a beginner and it can handle much more as you progress. Welcome to the club
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv83 View Post
The 300x really is a great heli, so much more stable than the mcpx's and 450 3d. Drunk you did well, now fly it a few times, get drunk and go to the lynx website, get some shiny stuff. Enjoy the 300x it's a really easy beginner heli just add a little expo for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuteopn View Post
Before you even spool up, get a frame brace. Astroids or Lynx. IMO #1 upgrade to get.
I've had my 2 since release date. Cheap compared to main shaft snapping mid flight.
Love flying my 2. 1 still stock except for motor and cf blades, the other changed out cyclic servos,tail servo and motor. Both have frame braces and never had a problem since. Don't think flying indoors is a good option.

Just got the delivery this morning, un-boxed it and threw it in with the rest of the fleet. I hope they get along because they'll be spending some idle time together. The thought of the 300 or maybe even the 450 3d exploding in mid-air for lack of a frame brace freaks me out, that and the fact I don't even know what a "frame brace" is. I do know what "expo" is though so I'll look into numbing the curve down from the stock settings. Thanks.

To me this only serves as proof that I might have gone over my head this time (well, to be fair, every instance after the MSR). Not angry at my drunk half, since it was only wants to please me, but before I even think about spooling up anything I'll spend some time in these forums because I get the impression you guys know what you're talking about.

Cheers.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Here's a link for the Lynx frame brace;

https://tmkarc1hobby.com/lx0318-300-...stiffener.html

Definitely get it or you will snap a mainshaft and crash
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

You don't " need" the frame brace , but you do need to brace the frame and it's the easiest way. I've used guitar picks and a zip tie to brace mine, and I've lost no shafts since. If you do get the frame from lynx, get some of their main shafts at the same time, the stock ones have too much play where they're bolted through. Nice looking fleet you have there.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly it in a tennis court next to my house so that gives you an idea of the size of space you need. Never tried it indoors but have hovered in my garage and that get's a bit tight.

There another shop on ebay (in FL) that sells the 300x less beast for 90-110 dollars (depending on final bid). Great way to acquire spares without spending huge margins at your LHS.
Metroart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12bn View Post
Very interesting way to get a helicopter hehe. I think you will enjoy the 300 as a beginner and it can handle much more as you progress. Welcome to the club
Thanks! Considering all the possible outcomes that could have resulted from my brief detachment from space and time, owning a 300x instead is starting to look like a gift from heaven. However, after watching one too many videos of this thing which included the verb "crash" within their titles, I've decided to not take any chances and practice on the MSR and MCPXBL instead, for now. Can't fly it anyway. I just became aware that the frames come with a major design flaw that causes them to explode in mid-air which is exactly what I don't need so I have to address that too. Until then, it will make for a good conversation piece in my living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
Here's a link for the Lynx frame brace;

https://tmkarc1hobby.com/lx0318-300-...stiffener.html

Definitely get it or you will snap a mainshaft and crash
Will do. Thanks. I was also looking at another one that cost just $10 but it seemed to involve a much more intricate process in terms of installation. The one you suggest seems to be bolt-on and easier to install. I'm also interested on the claim they make as to how it makes the heli more stable and takes care of it's out-of-the-box vibration issue.

TY again.

Miguel
Old 12-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not really an explosion of such, more of a "pop" followed be the motor rpm getting higher and the heli falling from the sky.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ohhhhh the beer nights ordering Heli's and parts..I always feel worse the next day for buying but when I get everything put back together or setup and fly a new heli, I don't feel bad anymore.

You have a great little heli..I love mine. Just a few mods and it flys awesome!
vulcan9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignaceous View Post
I'm also interested on the claim they make as to how it makes the heli more stable and takes care of it's out-of-the-box vibration issue.

TY again.

Miguel
Yep and it'll add 3 inches in less than a week if you believe the marketing team!!
Centurian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian View Post
Yep and it'll add 3 inches in less than a week if you believe the marketing team!!
That might be enough to win the girl back. Hey baby, check out my stiffener.

Sorry couldn't resist.

I will say this about the Lynx stiffener...it is now on it's 3rd frame on my 300X. That is, I've been able to remove and install it on 2 more frames since I originally installed it, so there is that. No gluing or prying required.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Joining the 300X club by "accident"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
That might be enough to win the girl back. Hey baby, check out my stiffener.

Sorry couldn't resist.

I will say this about the Lynx stiffener...it is now on it's 3rd frame on my 300X. That is, I've been able to remove and install it on 2 more frames since I originally installed it, so there is that. No gluing or prying required.
No just forcing screwing in the way fussing screw stripping. The ad is do easy to install and you can buy three for the same cost. After I put on and took off then put on again the lynx stiffener the ad is appealing and in the long run faster. But listen to me I bought the ultimate lynx frame stiffener.
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignaceous View Post
The few things that concern me is the fact some people buy it just to fly till they wreck it and extract its beast thing to transfer to a more deserving aircraft.
That's the best sales pitch for the 300x I've ever heard. That almost sold me. lol
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in