START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
3D Dave
Registered Users

Default Bump Tag Programming Tips

So I trying to decide how to assign and program my bump tags.

Single packs are easy but I'm not sure what the minimum and maximum character count is for naming them.

I don't want to make the name too long as I print labels for each and I like to keep it short so usually do something like:

Pulse 6s 5000 45C #1
Pulse 6s 5000 45C #2
Pulse 6s 5000 45C #3
-----------------------------------
For my 12s packs, it's a little more complicated.

I use (2) separate 6s 5000 45C packs mounted on a CF tray that are charged individually as 6s and flown in series for 12s with a Y wire connection on the ESC.

I know you can use either 1 bump tag for both packs on the tray or 2 tags (1 on each pack)

I don't plan to ever split them up so 1 tag makes sense.

The thing is, I like to stagger the chargers so that my 1000w generator doesn't overload if both chargers kick on at the same time in the beginning or during the charge.

This being the case, do you guys think I should do separate bump tags for each 6s pack so I can stagger start their charge? This would be much easier on the generator when I charge at 12A+ on each port.

I staggered each charge/side by 25 seconds with my old Hyperion 720 super duo as it pauses each side every 60 seconds to take a reading. Otherwise, both sides would ramp back up simultaneously and really surge the generator.

Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
RevoKelly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Dave View Post
So I trying to decide how to assign and program my bump tags.

Single packs are easy but I'm not sure what the minimum and maximum character count is for naming them.

I don't want to make the name too long as I print labels for each and I like to keep it short so usually do something like:

Pulse 6s 5000 45C #1
Pulse 6s 5000 45C #2
Pulse 6s 5000 45C #3
-----------------------------------
For my 12s packs, it's a little more complicated.

I use (2) separate 6s 5000 45C packs mounted on a CF tray that are charged individually as 6s and flown in series for 12s with a Y wire connection on the ESC.

I know you can use either 1 bump tag for both packs on the tray or 2 tags (1 on each pack)

I don't plan to ever split them up so 1 tag makes sense.

The thing is, I like to stagger the chargers so that my 1000w generator doesn't overload if both chargers kick on at the same time in the beginning or during the charge.

This being the case, do you guys think I should do separate bump tags for each 6s pack so I can stagger start their charge? This would be much easier on the generator when I charge at 12A+ on each port.

I staggered each charge/side by 25 seconds with my old Hyperion 720 super duo as it pauses each side every 60 seconds to take a reading.

Thoughts?
Tip - read the manual
http://www.revolectrix.com/BC_links_tab.htm

It covers decisions around BumpTag setup and usage, including multi-pack setup.

In short, if you they get used as a single pack, i would setup as a single 12s tag.

If you use different power supplies, then define multiple Power Supplies in the Bump, each with appropriate current limits.

I don't see any benefit to stagger-starting the pack ... just ends up taking longer to get your whole 12s pack ready to fly, or you end up charging at a higher C-rate which isn't as good for your packs.

Note the field is "Brand Name" and thats all you should put in it - manufacturer and maybe model/series/line of battery. Stuff like chemistry, cell count, capacity, c-rating is redundant and just clutters the display.

Also note that the Pack ID field exists to do exactly what u want, so dont put that in the brand name field either.

In your example above, the brand name should simply be "Pulse".
RevoKelly is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
aziz76
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also found it useful to put a small label in the pack itself with the short ID assigned by the bump controller. That way I know which pack is which when looking through the history graphs without having to bump the batter first.

JETI DC-24
aziz76 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
3D Dave
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast response Kelly.

I actually did read the manual but only once so far. I was just not sure about the stagger start thing and thought maybe someone else had the same situation.

I also need to take into account my Mikado V-Bar Control that I use now which keeps track of packs/flights etc.

When I use a pair of packs on the tray, I have to select the pack set I'm about to use each time I power up the heli for a flight.

Right now, I have 3 trays holding (2) 6s 5000 packs and they are labeled (and programmed into the my V-Control) as:

Pulse #1 12s 45c
Pulse #2 12s 45c
Pulse #3 12s 45c

I'm not sure how (or if) I want to change that to match the bump tag. I think if I change it, I lose all previous data saved for it in the V-Control (and downloaded to my Mac). I would also not be able to account for the 20-25 flights on each already.

I'm just trying to simplify battery use/tracking which was my main goal in buying the bump & Dual PowerLab 8

-Dave

PS @ Aziz, that's probably a good idea. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
RevoKelly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz76 View Post
I also found it useful to put a small label in the pack itself with the short ID assigned by the bump controller. That way I know which pack is which when looking through the history graphs without having to bump the batter first.
Yes, and having the short ID recorded on the pack is also important if a BumpTag fails - it's pretty rare, but if u know the ID, then you can use the Replace BumpTag tool in the CCS app to move all the previous battery history over to the new BumpTag ID.
RevoKelly is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Dansy
Registered Users

On split packs 10s or 12s, I always name my pack this way..I always put month received and year with the number

For let say my pulse 6s 3300mah
Dec 16 #1
Dec 16 #2
Jan 17 #3

For my pulse 6s 5000mah
Jun 15 #1
Jun 15 #2
Dec 16 #3

Split pulse 12s 5000mah
Jul 16 #1
#1A
#1B
Aug 16 #2
#2A
#2B
Revolectrix/MeanWell PS, DPL8, PL8, 2x XP10 and Bump Contr.
Dansy is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support