Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Upgrading head

Hey guys I got a cp v2 and it needs a mainshaft and replacement head components and bearings. I am thinking of just upgrading to a different head. Anyone link me to or fill me in on what it would take to upgrade to a trex style head?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
blackws6ta is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Look in the SuperSticky above, some links listed under "Belt CP Mods"

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=160961
Helis: Belt-CP, Mini Titan, EXI 450, HK250-GT, HK500-GT, HK600-GT, mSR (all modified/customised). Quads: Q4, nQX, HK250, Custom built 560 Deadcat camera platform. Some planks. DX6i & DX9. And a boat & some HK surface controller thingy.
CyprusDave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Essentially, there are 2 different ways to do it.

First, you can leave the e-sky swash on and replace the 4 balls on the upper part of the swashplate, every thing above that is the new head.

Secondly, on the V2, you can move the AR bracket to the front and use the new align swashplate and everything else. This way is a bit trickier to do as you will need to replace the balls on the servo's and find some links that are compatible with the new swash.

Eitherway, you will need to setup the head/pitch range again and check the main shaft for binding with the flybar, or use the align shaft upside down.

As Dave said, it all in the stickies at the top. Have a read and let us know if you have any other questions
TRex600N, Kasama Head, OS50SX
copterboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got the EXI head on mine. I used the EXI swash, moved the AR bracket to the front. It's pretty much straight forward if you follow the super sticky. For switching the ball links, I used a caliper to measure the original length of the links. It was spot on when I checked the pitch and swash level.
daveolej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Are exi/tarot/copter x/trex all the same heads? Just. Cloned?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Simply put, Yes.

But you have to watch out for different versions. The Align is the original, everything else is a clone.

However, you also get clone V2 heads, and clone PRO heads. For the Belt, I would reccomend the V2 sport head. The V2 sport head has the widest rotor head and threfore best stability.

The PRO head has different geometry than the V2 head, so I would avoid it on a Belt, as it requires a greater amount of travel to get the optimum pitch range.

So either a V2 or V2 sport clone head would be cheapest and best IMO
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

So if I'm reading this right. I could buy a v2 align or clone head and just drop the assembly in down through the main gear assembly and bolt it. Then use the cp v2 links and rods on bottom and use the align clone ball links on the top of that.

If I get the trex head is that the way? Or will I have to disassemble and flip the mainshaft?

I am running out of places to buy esky parts so this is my option.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, you can do it that way if you want to use the new swashplate - replace the lower balls with e-sky to keep the servo-swash links as they are, but you will need to move the AR bracket also, as that is needed for the align/clone swashplate.

You would still need to check the head setup, as the geometry of the new head is different. New centre point for zero pitch in idel up, and pitch range would need adjusting also.

If you use the e-sky shaft, it is longer at the top above the hole for the jesus bolt, and may need grinding down at little to avoid binding with the flybar. If you want to use the align/clone main shaft, then you would need to invert it in the rotor head before dropping it down through the main gears/OWB.

Hope that makes sense!!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok lol. Buy the head, flip the mainshaft over, reinstall into head. Move ar bracket to front, change swash links on top, setup again on radio.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

U got it

Post some pics if you want to share or have any problems. We always like to see a job well done.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this the same for the tail assembly? Can that be bolted on? I am at work on my phone using tapatalk so it's hard to run through the stickies.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey just wanted to chime in with my two cents. I bought an EXI 450 head for my belt CPX. Here's what I did to install...

I used the stock esky swash and stock servo linkages. I replaced the esky swash balls with the EXI balls. Then, I had to LIGHTLY sanded down all the EXI linkages that go to the swash. Also, I used the esky main shaft.
tyoung560 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where you buying the exi heads at?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Xheli.com

They had a head + tail combo for 30$, check it out and see if they still got it!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does the tail work also?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't installed the tail because the stock tail isn't broken (yet, lol). But it looks like it won't need modification.

I actually bought an EXI 450 kit to put all the CPX electronics into because esky parts are becoming harder and harder to find.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does the exi headdress you have use the feathering shafts with the nuts on the end or the Allen screws?

Sent from my A100 tablet using tapatalk
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Allen/hex, HUGE plus in my opinion. The nuts that esky uses requires an extremely small nut driver.

You can expect 99% compatibility with a trex 450 head with an EXI 450 head.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am going that route. I just want to get spares at the same time. So are all the feathering shafts going to fit? Xheli doesn't give good description.

Sent from my A100 tablet using tapatalk
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Align/Clone tail, isn't a drop in fit, but it can be made to work. The mesh of the teeth are different between E-sky and Align/Clone belts, plus they are slightly different length.

Ultimately, this means converting the tail drive pulley shaft, boom and tail unit. As I re-call you would need to either shorten the e-sky boom, or install an align boom to deal with the shorter belt. Like this...note I also replaced tail blades horizontal and vertical fin.

By the time you have spent the money converting the head and tail, it would probably cost about the same as a whole EXI kit new. Times have changed recently, and it does seem everyone is complaining about the availability of e-sky spares.

Whatever you buy from EXI, it is always good practice to stock up on a couple of packs of feathering shafts, main shafts and flybars. Plus a few tail output shafts and main gears.

Easiest thing is to post us a link to whatever your are looking at and we can advise you from there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in