Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Needing some help

Hello,

I just purchased a RTF Blade 450 3D. I charged the battery and tried to spool it up but when I do I get a very sever vibration. The tail hops up and down. I am afraid to spool it up because it is hoping so bad. I tried to adjust the gyro down but that doesn't seem to help. I also tried to tighten and losen the blades but that doesn't help either. It is suppose to be balanced from the factory so I may just see about returning it to amazon and getting another one to see if it's any better. Does anyone have any suggestions that I may try? I'm new to the 450 and really do not want to break anything.

Thank you so much in advance,
Ryan
BitShifter01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It could be that the head isn't spinning fast enough to get the main blades straightened out, and the imbalance is causing the heli to wobble.

What are your throttle and pitch curves in normal mode? And how far up on the throttle stick are you getting before you back off due to the vibration?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like the above mentioned where the blades aren't out straight as head speed is increasing.
Are the main blades really loose?
DesJardins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yeah, they should be tight enough that if you put the heli on it's side, the blades don't fall off, but if you gently push on them, they can move.

Give it a touch more throttle. you'll see.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Throttle curve results.

Wow! Thank you all very much for replying! I am really afraid to spin it up much faster as the tail is bobbing up and down and it really seems out of balance. My throttle curve for norm is 0.0, 56.5, 72.5, 72.5, 72.5

for stunt it is all 72.5. That seems a little strange for me. I can take a video and post it if that would help explain what I am seeing.

Thanks again!
Ryan
Old 01-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your sure the blade are not too tight, then another thing is to see if they're balanced. See the finless bob sections for helicopter setup here, as he has great walkthroughs for balancing blades.

Also, check that the tail blades are not too tight too. For me, the tail blades are almost floppy loose.

If the tail is bobbing, and not really vibrating, then maybe there something else going on, maybe flybar paddles.

Also, when you say bobbing, I assume you mean up/down. If the tail is wagging back and forth, we'd normally recommend to lower the gyro gain setting at the TX. But that would't make any difference if its an up/down motion.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just go back to the bible and go through the box opening verification.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

what exactly do you mean? This Heli should have been all setup and ready to go.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

What exactly do you mean by bible? This model was suppose to be RTF with no setup. Maybe I'm just being a little naive being new but that is my understanding. Thanks for you recommendations. Yes, when I say bobbing, I mean the tail is going up and down. To the point where the rear fin is hitting the table. I'm not going to spool it up any more. I am thinking about taking it back and exchanging it for another one. Do factory weighed blades need to be re-weighed? I haven't looked at the flybar paddles. Also the tail blades are sloppy lose like you recommend. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, table? I would not recommend spooling it up on a table. If you can, take it outside, on the ground, and spool it up. If you can, take a video and someone here will be able to quickly tell if this something normal or not..

With anything that is mass produced, mistakes can be made. HorizonHobby has very good customer service as well. I'm sure they'll be able to help if it comes to that.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Check the sticky thread called Blade 450 3D bible.

There's a section called box opening verification.

All you need is in there.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitShifter01 View Post
Hello,

I just purchased a RTF Blade 450 3D. I charged the battery and tried to spool it up but when I do I get a very sever vibration. The tail hops up and down. I am afraid to spool it up because it is hoping so bad. I tried to adjust the gyro down but that doesn't seem to help. I also tried to tighten and loosen the blades but that doesn't help either. It is suppose to be balanced from the factory so I may just see about returning it to amazon and getting another one to see if it's any better. Does anyone have any suggestions that I may try? I'm new to the 450 and really do not want to break anything.

Thank you so much in advance,
Ryan
This is quite common.

The problem IS your blades are out of balance. You need to balance your blades. Tight or loose will make very little difference.

Helimax make a inexpensive one that works well. Or spend a little more and get better quality, they all work perfect when used correctly.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3502444..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

First you find the center of gravity, then you will balance the blades together. it will spin up smooth and it will fly better than you every thought it could.

Don't believe that these blades come balanced, they don't. Some may be close and most people just fly them. Then sometimes they are way off and this is the result.

I balance every set of blades because they just work so much better!!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalios View Post
Check the sticky thread called Blade 450 3D bible.

There's a section called box opening verification.

All you need is in there.
\

Please no offence but if this was true we would not need this forum.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
\

DesJardins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesJardins View Post
all in good fun....
Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
\

ok. 95% of what you need is there.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The "bible" was wrote by a very helpful guy in this forum! He took the time to help many and you as well if you just take the time and read it you will see how helpful it is.

On a side note... I had that issue as well and blades were fine but the belt was way to loose
ianl9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have purchased 4 Blade helli's with mixed results. The mcx2 was the only one that didn't need any work done on it. The 120SR needed a ton, still does, and the 450 needed blade balancing (and while I was at it, I balanced the homemade training gear as well). The mCPx v2 also needed a very slight blade balance (the bullets were good).

This might not be great analogy, but... if you bought new car/truck tires you'd expect them to be balanced as part of the purchase. Then take off down the highway and find there was a little shake, you'd go back and have them fine tune the balancing until they got it right.

Well, with RTF heli's, they come set up pretty close (there will always be exceptions) and it's up to you to fine tune the bugs out. This is part of the fun of dealing with them and some of the frustration as well. Read the BIBLE, get familiar with the toy you're going to be spending a lot of time and money on, and read this forum religiously and you'll begin to "get" it (I'm still deep in the fog, but there are clearing patches I'm happy to say).

I don't get why you're spooling up on a table. That implies an indoor, small room disaster in the making. Get the sucker outside, on the ground, with a training gear set attached (in case something is really amiss)....take it from me...like a good sim, training gear has saved me untold repair costs.

Last edited by murrelet; 01-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: typo
murrelet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was able to make my own blade balancer that works just fine..

What you need is:
A bolt that will fit through the blades, and 2 nuts.

|-------------Nut--Blade-Blade--Nut------------

Some folks use things like 2 small blocks on the exposed part of the shaft for the blades to balance on.

Tags
blade 450 3d

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in