Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum Telemetry Log Viewer

Spektrum Telemetry Log File Viewer.

All recent Spektrum radios DX7s, DX8, DX10 and DX18 all have the ability to record telemetry data for a model in flight. Until recently it was only possible to read this data via an iPhone app. If you didn't own an iPhone you had no way of recovering and reading the data, however this has now changed and you 2 options, my Telemetry Reader Application that is available free for personal use or a paid for application from RoboSoftware.

This application is Windows based and has been run on all current Windows versions succesfully, users have also reported that they have run it on Mac using Windows under Parallels and also under Ubuntu Linux by defining it as a Wine app.

Installation
You can download the Spektrum Telemetry Log Viewer here :-

http://boxhillheliclub.co.uk/wp-cont...etryReader.zip

This link will always point to the latest available version.

Once the app is downloaded, unpack/unzip it into a directory of your choice on your machine and run the TelematryReader.exe.

Overview of Application
Once the app is started, use File->Open menu to open a .TLM file, once you get the green light, in the bottom right corner, telling you the file has loaded, select a model and session from the drop down box.

The app will display a list of tabs showing which sensors you have configured and selecting the tab will display the data if any is available. Note just because you see a tab for a particular sensor doesn't mean you have data, it just means you've configured it in the radio.

You can change displayed units of the data by selecting either the Metric or Imperial option from the Units menu.

Selecting either Tabular or Graphical radio buttons within the view will change the current view displayed to either a table or graph of the data.

Selecting the Filter graph data will attempt to remove any upward spikes from the data that skew the graph scaling. The filter takes an average of data points and any values that fall outside of the upper end of the range by a pre determined magnitude are truncated to the average value.

In addition to filering the graph spikes, you can also select which items of data are displayed on the graph via the tick boxes displayed below the graph.

Within the graphical view you have a number of buttons defined near the top of the graph

You can use these buttons to manipulate the display of the graph data, hovering over each button will give quick hint at its function. The graphing library used by the application is a third party library called XYGraph and more information on the functions can be found in the following video.
XYGraphDemo (2 min 40 sec)

File menu options
Export Model CSV - This option will allow you to create a semi-colon ';' delimited file containing the raw model data for the currently selected model session, that you can them manipulate in a program of choice, typically MS Excel or similar spreadsheet.

Export Sensor CSV - This option allows you to export raw data for the currently displayed sensor in a semi-colon delimited file.

Export KML File - This option allows you to export GPS data to a KML file that can be opened in Google Earth to display your flight path. It is only active if you have the GPS sensor currently selected.

Save Model Session - allows the currently selected model session to be saved as its own .TLM file, this will allow you to isolate an individual model session from the current .TLM file.

Exit - When you exit the program the current units, view type and filter state, will be saved and used next time you open the application as will the current directory.

I'd like to try and keep this thread as clean as possible for release information, so if you have any queries, problems, requests or suggestions can you please make them in the following thread.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=523441
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UserGuide1.jpg
Views:	12766
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	423741   Click image for larger version

Name:	UserGuide2.jpg
Views:	12595
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	423742   Click image for larger version

Name:	UserGuide3.jpg
Views:	12724
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	423743   Click image for larger version

Name:	UserGuide4.jpg
Views:	12452
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	423744   Click image for larger version

Name:	UserGuide5.jpg
Views:	13032
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	423745  

Name:	UserGuide6.jpg
Views:	12665
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	423748  
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Version 2.0 Available

Version 2.0 Available here :-

Updates
Version 2.0 is pretty much the same as Version 1.3 but has had some rewrites internally to allow me to extend the program in future versions.

New Functionality
Implemented a series of different filters for the graphical data to clean up the traces, with all the files I have on hand it works, however if you have some really odd data you may get some strange results. Let me know if you do.

New filters are implemented on :-

Standard telemetry
RX telemetry
Altitude telemetry
Speed telemetry

Fixes

1. Fix to KML file generation to remove 0,0 co-ordinates if GPS has not initialised yet as this seems to upset Google Earth.
2. Fix to KML file generation to force decimal point in co-ordinates.

Kevin

Last edited by kevinww; 06-25-2013 at 05:23 AM..
kevinww is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Version 2.1

Version 2.1 Available here :-

Updates

New Functionality
None

Fixes
1. Fix to Model export CSV that can cause the app to terminate

Kevin
Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Additional Info

If you ever try to open a large TLM file over around 8-10Mb in size and the app terminates, it is likely to be a memory issue. You can increase the memory available to the application using the following method.

Create a file called TelemetryReader.vmoptions in the install directory, with the following contents on separate lines

-Xmx256m
-Xms32m

Kevin
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks a lot for this.
Lu523 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another thank you for this app! Subscribed!
StatiC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fantastic piece of software! It has allowed me to get used to the current usage on my plane's esc.

Is there any plans to have a GPS log viewer / Google Maps converter implemented in the future?
FrostByteUK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is already an option in the File menu to export a kml file that can be read into Google Earth to display the flight path based on the GPS data.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure if I did my TLM file wrong in transmitter but:
  • It has two sessions, first is about nine minutes long and second is around 50 minutes (four flights).
  • The file is just over 5MB
  • Loads fine but when I press the RX Telemetry tab at top, this happens (Attached jpg.)
  • I checked my memory with Taskman and had plenty available (after the crash of course)
Let me know if you need anything else to fix this because other than this it seems to be a great app for viewing the telemetry files.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TelemetryReaderError.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	452184  
Goblin 500, IKON, Edge 100, TM1000
ThomasHumble is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I would be you I would try what suggested in post #4, regardless of the file size...
Old 09-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
If I would be you I would try what suggested in post #4, regardless of the file size...
Thanks! That worked, don't see how I missed that post.
Goblin 500, IKON, Edge 100, TM1000
ThomasHumble is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 04:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face

Hi, looks like a very nice tool, but didnt work for me. Sourcefile about 80MB I select the File, click open and wait. I can see the process running in Tastkmgr but after a some seconds it is closed. Please help me, thanks
Feierschwein1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feierschwein1 View Post
Hi, looks like a very nice tool, but didnt work for me. Sourcefile about 80MB I select the File, click open and wait. I can see the process running in Tastkmgr but after a some seconds it is closed. Please help me, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
Tried the above solution?

If yes, try again with 512 and 64 instead of 256 and 32...
Old 11-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Letting the file get to 80Mb is your problem, you can try the solutions above in post #4, if you still have the problem try again with Coco66's suggested numbers, if that doesn't work then you could try 1024 and 128 but other than that will have to scrap the existing file and start again.

Your file is going to take quite a long time to open if it does, probably somewhere around 5-10mins.

Can i suggest that you read the following info so that you know how to manage the telemetry file in future and don't get into the same situation again. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=4964229
Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I found a bug displaying the GPS data in tabular view with one of my TLM files. It is missing a large chunk of GPS data (over 6 minutes). I thought it was a problem with the GPS unit and was troubleshooting it with Andy (tech) on the DX9 thread on rcgroups and he mentioned that all the GPS data is there as it displays properly with robo software.

If you are interested I can PM you the TLM file.

Thanks for this app btw. I think it is more functional than the robo software (which i can't use anymore because it expired). Your app seems to have better graphing and loads TLM files faster too.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can PM me the tlm file, I'll have a look.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Version 2.2

Version 2.2 Available here :-

Updates

New Functionality
None

Fixes
1. Fixes issue with tabular view of GPS data, which has become more evident with the introduction of the DX9
2. TelemetryReader.vmoptions file is now added as part of the install package with the values in post #4 above, if you have amended yours to different values you will have to update it after install.

Kevin
Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the update! I can see a lot of GPS data now in tabular view from my DX9 TLM file.

Is this app a java app that is wrapped in an exe? If it is then I wonder how well it would work under Linux if it was just a native java app.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Version 2.3

Version 2.3 Available here :-

Updates

After looking at the GPS issues previously noted, I had a look at the kml file generation and found a couple of issues that can cause some funnies in the zoom to location of the file in Google Earth to not work as expected and show some arbitary location.

New Functionality
1. Tabular views now scroll, if you use a scroll wheel on your mouse.

Fixes
1. Fixes to kml file generation and added some filtering to try and remove odd random co-ordinates from the generated kml file

Kevin
Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks again. The data in the kml export looks great in Google Earth. That latest update really cleaned up the points I had. It looks perfect now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in