Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BLADE SR TAIL WAG FIX!!!

i posted this video up becuas some of you out there dont know how to stop your tail from doing that wag thing it does and heres how so stop asking!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFvaiQdhX2g[/ame]:dance
chillin heli dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

good video, but on my SR, not matter what adjustments are made to gyro gain, the tail still wags. There is a spot where it wags the least before the tail starts to drift, but no matter what the gain is set to it wags.
Gadflyii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, mine either wags a little or the tail flies around. Wonder if a different gyro helps?
singingperry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by singingperry View Post
Yeah, mine either wags a little or the tail flies around. Wonder if a different gyro helps?
I have been thinking the same thing myself. I am having the same issue.

"Why buy one when you can buy two for twice the price"
A.Delaney is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't have a BSR yet, but many gyros can be affected by vibration.
Dumb Thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try plugging the spare gyro lead (the one with the single yellow wire) into the receiver and using the 5th channel to adjust gyro gain i know that using my dx6i has removed any sort of tail wag and i suspect that the 5th channel on the stock receiver may achieve similar results
00nothing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my SR, too, it's a balancing act between poor tail hold and tail wag. As have many, I've connected the yellow wire to channel 5 and use the right-hand dial on the stock TX to adjust it. At this point, I've simply decided that I need to adjust it on-the-fly according to my flying style that day. If hovering and putting around, low gain, if in FFF or backward flight, adjust the gain up some. Working so far, but I dislike switching the flight modes.

Then again, I dislike having to use my flight mode switch as my "knife-edge switch" on my planks, too, but I do because it makes certain maneuvers so much easier once I have my mixes set up
Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you guys plug your spare gyro lead into channel #5....where do you adjust your gain pot on the gyro itself? Do you leave it in the same spot it as how it came stock - or do you put it in the middle? Or does it not matter? And do you start with the ch. 5 knob in the center, and turn up or down from there?

Also, where do you plug it in on the receiver? I have a couple of open spots.....which one does the gyro lead go into?

I'm not gonna do this right away, but I would know the right way to do it for future. THANKS!!
Auxbar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxbar View Post
When you guys plug your spare gyro lead into channel #5....where do you adjust your gain pot on the gyro itself? Do you leave it in the same spot it as how it came stock - or do you put it in the middle? Or does it not matter? And do you start with the ch. 5 knob in the center, and turn up or down from there?

Also, where do you plug it in on the receiver? I have a couple of open spots.....which one does the gyro lead go into?

I'm not gonna do this right away, but I would know the right way to do it for future. THANKS!!
Looking at the SR from the rear it will be 2nd slot from left, make sure yellow wire is on top. Just past mid point on the pot trim is where everyone is saying it seems to work best
Southern Heart Soaps Lotions & Potions
hueman09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueman09 View Post
Looking at the SR from the rear it will be 2nd slot from left, make sure yellow wire is on top. Just past mid point on the pot trim is where everyone is saying it seems to work best
Mid point on the pot travel or mid point between the + and - marks? 12 noon on the pot face? Or ?

Thanks,
Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueman09 View Post
Correction, gyro gain plug would be 2nd slot from from right.....
Southern Heart Soaps Lotions & Potions
hueman09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
Mid point on the pot travel or mid point between the + and - marks? 12 noon on the pot face? Or ?
12 noon on the pot face. Adjust up or down to suit. Just do quick hops up into ground effect to see if it's wagging or holding, that way your risk is very low.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have an SR but do have a Blade 400 with the same gyro.

Are you all giving the gyro time to acclimate when you bring the heli from inside to out?

Seems to make a big difference on these gyros if the two atmospheres are different.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
miamiheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: BLADE SR TAIL WAG FIX!!!

If the tail motor gets very hot, where it is too hot to touch can that make the tail wag?

Thanks,

John
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the tail motor is under powered

"Just needed to read the instructions"
dwoodworker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just going to throw another adjustment into the mix here. I fixed my tail wag prob by backing off the gyro gain until it stopped. Now the nose drifts. Adjust the proportional screw on the speed controller untill the drifting stops. Kind of a pain because the smallest adjustment makes a difference. Once the proportional is set you shouldn't ever have to use rudder trim. My tail holds rock solid and I am not using channel 5. all gyro adj. are made on the gyro. Hope this helps...

Last edited by timayyy; 03-13-2010 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: added info
timayyy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

backed the motor a little from the main gear so it is not so clicky.That helped alot.
ferbio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good idea! I'll try some synthetic grease on the main gear and pinion tomorrow to see if that smooths the gear.

I took off my gyro and remounted it using 3 of the foam sticky pads that were included in the box and that sort of helped, but it seems like it's over-damped now (I can turn the gyro up higher, but the tail doesn't hold as well). I'm gonna try 2 pads tomorrow to see if I can achieve critical damping on the gyro.
BrandonB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

So reading this topic made me think of something. The tail wag has never really bothered me yet so I haven't tried too fix it. But I was wondering since I am using a dx6i with my sr should I have the yellow wire plugged in for the gyro settings to work on the 6i? Or am I not thinking about this in the right way?
Eflite Blade MSR
toolz9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might as well go ahead and plug it in. Start around 70 in the settings and go from there. Make sure you have it set under the gyro menu. I pulled out my spare one day after the botched belt tail test and hurried back to the field, I had boun it to the Dx6 months ago and forgot that back then I still used the pot in the gyro, well I went out and flew, it went alright so I plugged the gyro in assuming I had entered Cedrin's gyro settings and flew a pack. I noticed some wagging in both switch positions so I went in to check to compare to my primary bird which has 69/71 an worked fine. Go into the gyro menu an it is INH! Don't know what setting it would have had but I didn't crash and I had even went inverted a few times.

Last edited by Mojappa; 05-19-2010 at 09:07 AM..
Mojappa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in