Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can't connect Devo 10 to computer to update...

...figured if anyone might know what's going on, it'd be someone here.

I have a Devo 10 (bought second-hand from a fellow 'Freaker). It is perfectly functional, as far as I can tell.

I am a veteran R.C. guy, in many respects (although new to Devo transmitters). I'm also reasonably handy with a computer. But this has me stumped (and that usually means I've missed Something Really Obvious):

When I turn on the Devo 10 while holding the 'EXT' key, it goes into 'Program Update' mode, as has been described in the Deviation manual.

I have downloaded, installed and run the Devention Dfuse USB Upgrade Tools V1.7.

I plug the USB cable into the computer and... nothing (yes, the other end is plugged into the transmitter). Nothing happens. The software/computer doesn't recognise the transmitter.

All switchgear on the transmitter is in the '0' position. Throttle stick is down. The transmitter is in what I assume is the correct mode.

And on the computer, the software appears to be running normally.

I'm lost.

I've tried different starting sequences: Run software, turn on transmitter in 'Program Update' mode, plug in... plug in, run software, turn on transmitter in 'Program Update' mode... run software, plug in, turn on transmitter...

Nada.

I tried two different USB cables.

Nada.

I went back to V1.5 of the software.

Nada.

Do the Devo transmitters use a proprietary USB cable? I've run across odd stuff like that before, although I didn't think it was the case here (I don't have the original cable that came with the transmitter, just a generic one).

I guess the last port of call is to crack it open and check the plug.

But I'm hoping someone will point out Something Really Obvious that I've missed.

Frustrating! Argh!
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can only suggest a working sequence:
1. plug in the USB cable into the turned off tx and the PC (USB cable usually doesn't matter). The PC won't say anything but probably the first time.;
2. Start the Walkera DfuSe tool;
3. Turn on the tx while holding the EXT button.

The tx device should show up in the upper box on the DfuSe program...
However DfuSe doesn't always detect the tx, usually because of some USB conflicts.
Then try to remove all USB devices from the PC (even the mouse) and try again...
FDR_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i can only suggest a working sequence...like FDR_ suggested....
walkera stuff seems to be a bit finicky with that kind of stuff....
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

A small update: After my first post there, I figured out that the computer is indeed recognising that the transmitter is plugged in, so there's nothing physically wrong with the connection.

But I haven't had a chance to go back and try your connection sequences. I will do shortly.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just in case you're still monitoring this thread, I just "deviatated" my Devo 10 and had a problem also. A simple as this is, the rubber plug "stopper" in the back of the Devo 10 transmitter was not far enough out of the way which kept the transmitter plug end from being properly inserted. I also had a "no go" until I pulled the stopper out of the way far enough to properly insert the plug. Then the Win 7 x64 recognized "something" inserted in the USB port and took a while to find and then install the "driver". Then success! The Deviation firmware file for the Devo 10 was no longer available at the Walkera site as mentioned in the install video by the way, I got the file exclusively from the Deviation site.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it again over the weekend.

I'd honestly just been flying it and hadn't got around to trying again.

I'm keen to try it again.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, this is from a while back, but I finally got Deviation onto my Devo 10...

I hadn't tried it after my aforementioned troubles, simply because I didn't really need it and had more pressing matters to attend to.

But just this afternoon I got into one of those, "what the heck," moods and figured I'd give it another go.

There were two differences this time:

1) The upgrade tool is now version 2, which didn't exist last time I tried.

And;

2) This time, I plugged the transmitter into the computer first and turned it on in "programming" mode (hold down the EXT key while powering on the transmitter), before actually running the upgrade tool software.

This seemed to force the computer to recognise the Devo 10 as a USB device and it dutifully went off and found and installed the drivers for it.

Then, as soon as I ran the upgrade tool software, it recognised the Devo 10! Success!
I can't honestly say what made it work. It could simply be that the new V2 upgrade tool software has some bug fix that finally made it compatible with my system

Anyway, I figured I'd post exactly what I did here, so it's on record.

Once it recognised the transmitter, installing Deviation was a doddle. So far I'm liking it!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Deviation is awesome software. I have the Devo-10 as well, and I'm running Deviation 4.0.1. It takes a bit to learn how the mixers work, especially the complex mixer, and to wrap your mind around the overall concept, which is a bit different than say how Spektrum does it, but once you get it, it opens up a new world of complete freedom in setting up your controls and screen display.

I am using my single transmitter to fly my entire fleet of helis, planes and quads from Walkera and Horizon Hobby, and I have full control over every feature available on each model.

The hobby can certainly have many sources of frustration. It's nice when something helps reverse that. Anyway. . . just another satisfied customer.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

I really like this software.

My eternal gratefulness to the programmers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in