Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by minatrix View Post
Who has the rotor tech blades in stock in the USA?

The amount of wrenching on the atom is what, shaving the drive tubes that takes all of ten minutes?
For builders that's nothing but those who prefer flying to building and/or are impatient it might take forever to get it right.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Who has the rotor tech blades in stock in the USA?

The amount of wrenching on the atom is what, shaving the drive tubes that takes all of ten minutes? I'm looking forward to building a heli that makes the atom look like a "builders" heli. This thing was cake to disassemble and rebuild.
This makes me want a 6hvu even more, just to know what all the hype is about.
Not sure anyone yet.
Got mine from Flying-Hobby for $55, they were here in under a week.

Not sure what Cyclo is getting at but my experience is they build up pretty quick and easy. Other than maybe sanding slider links and maybe adding the odd shim if your really picky they basically just bolt together.

6HvU is a cut above Atom too even. Design is a little more evolved with some nice subtle changes. I say get one, even over the 7.
Of course everyone's needs/wants differ.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I did it, Got the last one in stock at RC Heli Canada for a great great price!

Seems like a very matured and versatile heli. While it is not the best looking heli out there I love that it gets long flight times and flies very smooth with a wide range of batteries and blade lengths. I don't know if there is another heli that can fly with so many different battery sizes and blade lengths and do it well.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

awesome! did you get the stretch kit? or are you keeping it stock for a while
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann841 View Post
Well I did it, Got the last one in stock at RC Heli Canada for a great great price!

Seems like a very matured and versatile heli. While it is not the best looking heli out there I love that it gets long flight times and flies very smooth with a wide range of batteries and blade lengths. I don't know if there is another heli that can fly with so many different battery sizes and blade lengths and do it well.
Excellent! I'm pretty sure you will like it. Fly it stock for now and stretch it later. It flies really well in stock form too.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

What size is the tail servo on this heli? Full size or mini/park size?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can run either. There is a cutout in both sides of the frame for either full or mini. I would recommend full size especially if you plan on stretching to the 5.5 in the future
Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, thank you!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Someone at my local flying field is using an align Tail boom on this heli.

What other options are there besides stock compass stuff? How about for the stretch booms, do the align 550 booms fit as well?

I am going to keep it stock for a while but will be stretching at some point. Does not seem like it will cost much to do if you just buy the parts and get a less expensive set of 500mm blades.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Considering an Atom 500

He probably had a 600 boom lying around and cut it down. The compass booms are not expensive. And they say compass and not align! Lol.
minatrix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

haha very true, was just curious about the size. Ours is the same size as the Trex 600 boom!?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same diameter, different length. Most beefy 500 boom there is, thus no supports.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another question, How is the stock motor? Does it provide plenty of power?

Also, how does it handle the 500mm blades once stretched? Is a motor upgrade needed?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stock motor is a beast. You will want a bigger ESC for the stretch. It's harder on batteries, too. It's pretty awesome as is with 430's. I would fly it stock for a while before stretching it.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Stock motor is a beast. You will want a bigger ESC for the stretch. It's harder on batteries, too. It's pretty awesome as is with 430's. I would fly it stock for a while before stretching it.
Awesome! thanks for the heads up!

I am going to put the Hobbywing Platnium V3 100amp on it so should handle it no issue.

I figure I will keep it stock till i crash it then use that as an excuse to stretch it.

There is a Huge difference in prices of blades between 425mm and 500mm. What's the deal with that!? Anyone found a good budget 500mm blade?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Budget 500mm seem to be 430's, lol. I think imma try the sab because a) I can get them, and b) they look sweet. Best reason, I know. Maybe some rjx 470mm though.
Seems most put 6hv struts/skids/tailfin on the stretch along with 84.5 mm kbdd which have a 5mm root and need to be filed down to 4mm. Rchelicanada has carbon fiber landing gear for the atom that gives more clearance as well.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent info, anything else I should know about this heli that you wish you knew before building?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

i ran the stock motor for a while with 515 blades. Plenty of pop. It would bog but i was running tons of pitch and headspeed. if you ran an 8 or 9 tooth and 2400 to 2500 with 12 or 13 degrees of pitch, im sure it will barely bog at all. Its a really impressive motor for how small it is. I had to take it apart once to tighten the shaft and ive never seen one like it. very complex winding with tons of stator slots. I was pulling a peak of 3000 watts with it
Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Budget 500mm seem to be 430's, lol. I think imma try the sab because a) I can get them, and b) they look sweet. Best reason, I know. Maybe some rjx 470mm though.
Seems most put 6hv struts/skids/tailfin on the stretch along with 84.5 mm kbdd which have a 5mm root and need to be filed down to 4mm. Rchelicanada has carbon fiber landing gear for the atom that gives more clearance as well.

The Zeal's look like a decent deal.
I tried the RJX 470's, while I like the size/pop they don't track very well compared to Edge 473 or my new fav RotorTech 480's.
I am gonna pick up some Zeal500mm if RQ has some at the fun fly. Will report back what I think about them.

The 84mm while having a 5mm root do not require filing or sanding. The grips have enough flex to them to fit the blades and have no ill effect of doing this.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ground the boom and use silicone spray. Have kbdd green dampers on hand. Remove any oil from the main shaft before tightening mast lock. Play in the tail grips is normal, as well as vertical play in the main gear. Could add a shim to main gear if you want but mine flies fine without it. Run the tail belt on the loose side, just enough tension to not skip a tooth under load, but remember a new belt will stretch. Check that the canopy won't hit main gear on bottom or servo arms on top. I had to deemed the top notches open a little more. FBL drive tubes need to be shortened a couple mm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in