Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Happy new MSR X guy!

Hello all!

I've been lurking here for quite some time and have learned a LOT from this fantastic community. I purchased my MSR X this week and have been learning SO much! It's definitely hard to fly, but I had my first full no-crash flight today! I'm mostly taking it easy doing orientation training stuff indoors, but for me that's what I need to master first before moving on to turns and such.

A couple of questions. I noticed in the MCP X forum, they have an "MCPX bible" sticky that has all kinds of tips and tricks for that model. Does something like that exist here?

Also, I crashed my heli into a sink full of dish water the other day. It stayed under water for about 2 seconds until I could get it out. I immediately disconnected the battery and then put it in front of the hair drier for about 30 minutes. It's working as before, but I was thinking I should oil the motors? Thoughts? How often should you oil (given no water landings)?

Thanks and I'm LOVING the mods a lot of you are doing to yours. I've already got my mind on the first things I'm going to do!
lespaulrob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Outside today

Took the msr x outside tonight. Wow it flies so good!

I finally figured out a right banking turn as well. I really like the speed of this thing. Fast when you want it but smooth and slow when you need it.

So how often do you have to replace canopies? Mine is starting to collect some scotch tape.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a great feeling the first time you get 5 minutes without a close encounter with a wall / floor / tv / body part!

If you are planning on getting your heli wet again, perhaps flying outside with dew on the grass rather than into the sink, then I highly recommend to have a spray bottle of isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) handy. I've revived various wet electronics with it - the water dissolves in the isopropanol and then the whole lot evaporates rather than causing shorts or corrosion.

There are numerous threads regarding oiling motors, the general consensus seems to be that if you are going to oil (and not everyone does), use a very light machine oil or silicone oil, apply a tiny amount to the spindle or into the holes either side (but not the holes on the black cap), and only do it every 20 or so flights. Overoiling is probably detrimental too.

I'm probably not qualified to welcome you to the community I only joined 2 days ago myself, but welcome anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaulrob View Post
Hello all!

I've been lurking here for quite some time and have learned a LOT from this fantastic community. I purchased my MSR X this week and have been learning SO much! It's definitely hard to fly, but I had my first full no-crash flight today! I'm mostly taking it easy doing orientation training stuff indoors, but for me that's what I need to master first before moving on to turns and such.

A couple of questions. I noticed in the MCP X forum, they have an "MCPX bible" sticky that has all kinds of tips and tricks for that model. Does something like that exist here?

Also, I crashed my heli into a sink full of dish water the other day. It stayed under water for about 2 seconds until I could get it out. I immediately disconnected the battery and then put it in front of the hair drier for about 30 minutes. It's working as before, but I was thinking I should oil the motors? Thoughts? How often should you oil (given no water landings)?

Thanks and I'm LOVING the mods a lot of you are doing to yours. I've already got my mind on the first things I'm going to do!
teepeedoubleyou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well welcome to both of you to our humble little home here....lol

Always good to see new guys discover the MSRX ! You have some that hate it and a lot that love it...........count me as one of the latter !
I love flying this little heli !
I do oil mine and i have only lost 1 motor since Jan. It may be coincidence but i will keep doing what I have been doing.
I use the precision oil from Radio shack and I put a drop on the main shaft and 1 drop in each of the holes on top the motor about once every 10 or so flights.
But that is what I do and i really have no idea if it really works, it just seems to have worked for me.......so far.

No, we don't have a bible sticky, but would be nice to have one for the new guys that come on here. I know i have used the one on the MCPX forum myself !
I'm just to lazy and too busy flying to do one myself....LOL
Old 05-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

I use silicone oil myself. Hadn't ever oiled at all till a couple of days ago when I had an irritating tail wag that would not go away. A single pinhead size drop at the base of the tail motor shaft, with heli tilted sideways for 10 min, took care of it completely.

Wish i had thought of it before I had ripped my hair out.

Hey Big, do you know how much that guy on the for sale forum wanted as a "dropped price" on his HP05 brushless mcpx? Have PMd him, but havent gotten an answer. The other one for sale over there is too much of a hot rod for me.
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
I use silicone oil myself. Hadn't ever oiled at all till a couple of days ago when I had an irritating tail wag that would not go away. A single pinhead size drop at the base of the tail motor shaft, with heli tilted sideways for 10 min, took care of it completely.

Wish i had thought of it before I had ripped my hair out.

Hey Big, do you know how much that guy on the for sale forum wanted as a "dropped price" on his HP05 brushless mcpx? Have PMd him, but havent gotten an answer. The other one for sale over there is too much of a hot rod for me.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner koi. I've been a little busy, and by the looks of it, so have you !
I didn't know the new price and still don't....lol ! I don't know him but i commented on the bird because i really like that type of build. I like the duel tail motor setup. It's a nice helicopter !
That's probably the way I will go when I do mine.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS View Post
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner koi. I've been a little busy, and by the looks of it, so have you !
I didn't know the new price and still don't....lol ! I don't know him but i commented on the bird because i really like that type of build. I like the duel tail motor setup. It's a nice helicopter !
That's probably the way I will go when I do mine.
Ended up getting it for 220 shipped. Am a happy camper. He told me that he'd help me with troubleshooting as well if (when) I need it.

I figure I'm gonna start a msrx bl build first as it's a lot easier to do a single xp-3a. I also found a vendor on ebay that will sell you a flashing stick already pre soldered....saves a lot of work for this guy who isnt the best at soldering as of yet. Am gonna get one in about a week when I can afford it (I need to get a donor msrx as well). Comes with a 10a esc (iirc) as well as a kit.

I'll attempt a bl mcpx when i either, 1) crash this one (hope not), or 2) something breaks down (inevitable).
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
Ended up getting it for 220 shipped. Am a happy camper. He told me that he'd help me with troubleshooting as well if (when) I need it.

I figure I'm gonna start a msrx bl build first as it's a lot easier to do a single xp-3a. I also found a vendor on ebay that will sell you a flashing stick already pre soldered....saves a lot of work for this guy who isnt the best at soldering as of yet. Am gonna get one in about a week when I can afford it (I need to get a donor msrx as well). Comes with a 10a esc (iirc) as well as a kit.

I'll attempt a bl mcpx when i either, 1) crash this one (hope not), or 2) something breaks down (inevitable).
Koi, do you mind sending me a link to that vendor for the flashing stick ? Even though my soldering skills are not bad, I would still prefer one already done. It would save some time and effort.

I don't know yet which way i am going to go BL 1st, with the MSRX or the MCPX ? My thinking right now is to maybe do the MSRX since I can fly it pretty good, and get some experience with the BL builds.
Then when i get to be better at flying the MCPX do a BL build on the V1 I have.
But that is on down the road in a month or 2. I have spent so much over the last couple of months that I need to really slow down and take a deep breath...................yea right.........

Then again, I have thought about why go Brushless with the MCPX when I might get a 130x or a 300x, seems like a bit of a waste but I'll see what happens.
I want to wait a while on the 2 new birds and let some other people try them out and see what the verdict is before i buy one.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS View Post
Koi, do you mind sending me a link to that vendor for the flashing stick ? Even though my soldering skills are not bad, I would still prefer one already done. It would save some time and effort.

I don't know yet which way i am going to go BL 1st, with the MSRX or the MCPX ? My thinking right now is to maybe do the MSRX since I can fly it pretty good, and get some experience with the BL builds.
Then when i get to be better at flying the MCPX do a BL build on the V1 I have.
But that is on down the road in a month or 2. I have spent so much over the last couple of months that I need to really slow down and take a deep breath...................yea right.........

Then again, I have thought about why go Brushless with the MCPX when I might get a 130x or a 300x, seems like a bit of a waste but I'll see what happens.
I want to wait a while on the 2 new birds and let some other people try them out and see what the verdict is before i buy one.
See:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCP-X-BL-HEL...item3f17f9db25

Comes with a 7a esc as well.

Gonna get this thing on my next paycheck. He delivers quick too, I bought a mTDR canopy recently from him .

as for doing more mods instead of waiting for the 130x (gonna get it for christmas), I look at as another hit off of the rc heli crack pipe..........

Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again Koi ! Talking about taking another hit off the heli crack pipe..........man I am just about to overdose..........
Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Gang!
Have to say I'm real pleased with my purchase of an MSRX. Had owned an MSR before, but found it too finicky. After trying all sort of mods and upgrades, after another main board problem after a crash, I retired it.

Several things I like about it over the MSR.
1) Main Boards don't seem to go out after a bad crash
2) Body posts don't seem to break as easily
3) Twitchier, so I have to concentrate more (doesn't auto stabilize by letting go of controls)
4) great for hover practice (orientation)

I initially had problems breaking blade grips (the little balls), but solved that by using mixture of canopy grommets (swashplate long balls), upper grip o-rings moved to swashplate arms/servo pushrod location, and o-rings from the E-flight training gear (they are smaller diameter) used under the blade grip balls. Now everything is tightened up control wise, yet the blade grip balls aren't under so much tension that they automatically break. Made the behavior much less jumpy, yet after a crash the links just pop off instead of blade grip balls breaking off.

Haven't done anything else to it, though may eventually do the MMM adjustment to the pushrods. I've tried brushless/metal parts mods to both the MSR and the MCPX, and frankly wish I hadn't. Lot of money, problems getting just right, constant fiddling with, for little gain. Was spending more time working on and less time flying. Will eventually invest in another micro CP, but holding off for now as I'm really frustrated with my V1 MCPX (brushless mod did not go well).

Anyways, I love this thing! Already have about 35 flights! Best to all!
ShortBtwnHdset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm still having a good time flying this thing although my noob flag was flying high tonight. I seemed to not be able to do anything without crashing into the wall or couch or whatever else was in the way. I guess we all have our days, eh?

Anyway, one question that I have is when will I be "ready" to buy an MCPX? I'm really starting to get comfortable with the MSRX and don't think i'll ever outgrow it, but a new bird and learning new skills is always fun.

I've been reading a lot of the threads and have seen a common theme that the MSRX is most similar to a CP bird, but am not sure how much. Then I hear that it's harder to fly than the MCPX. Is this true? There seems to be a lot more going on in regards to controlling an MCPX and I'm hoping that it's more of the pilot's skill (i.e. you're usually more skilled when moving to CP). What's the story on that?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't see any reason for you not to get the MCPX. Transmitter settings a little more involved, and at least with version 1 board, don't try abrupt attitude changes (pc board would power off every time I tried to do a quick loop or roll). For normal flight, was a heck of a lot of fun! Supposedly, if you use gentle transitions, you can get it to loop or roll.

Wouldn't recommend indoor flight until your a lot better at it, as higher head speed will cause damage to both MCPX and some stationary objects. And it hurts when it hits you!
ShortBtwnHdset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

This.......my significant other was not happy with me when I hit the two little toes on her left foot with an mcpx rotor blade a while back. Because of that, and because that we have paintings, the mcpx now gets flown outside as a rule.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in