Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can I run (3) Turnigy 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Lipos in series

to make a 6s 5200mAh 30C Lipo in my 550e? I'm still trying to satisfy my 1/8 buggy with the same lipos in my 550e. My 1/8 would be happy with (2) Turnigy 5200mAh 2S 30C Lipos in series to make a 4s, and my 550e would be happy with a 6s 5200mAh 30C Lipo, but the only way I can seem to satisfy both is to use 2s packs and run them in series.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10277
MulliganAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would assume you could. But it probably wont fit. The average 5000mah 6s lipo i saw was about 55mm wide 3 of those will end up at 78mm wide and will also be around 150-200g heavier.
OsiViper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
I would assume you could. But it probably wont fit. The average 5000mah 6s lipo i saw was about 55mm wide 3 of those will end up at 78mm wide and will also be around 150-200g heavier.
Thanks OsiViper, I thought about that after looking at them a bit better. I found some others that are only 16mm wide and are a good bit lighter.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9514

Question:

When running batteries in series do they need to be the same s value? Can I run a 2s 5200mAh 30C with a 4s 5200mAh 30C to make a 6s 5200mAh 30C?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here' another thought, can I use (2) 4s 5000mAh 30C in my 550e, to make one 8s 5000mAh 30C? Would this be too much power and/or weight for the 550e?

A guy at the field runs (2) 6s 5000mAh 30C in his 600ESP.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulliganAl View Post
When running batteries in series do they need to be the same s value? Can I run a 2s 5200mAh 30C with a 4s 5200mAh 30C to make a 6s 5200mAh 30C?
I would think so. Haven't been in electrics that long but I would think that would work (get a 2nd opinion to be sure lol)

Quote:
Here' another thought, can I use (2) 4s 5000mAh 30C in my 550e, to make one 8s 5000mAh 30C? Would this be too much power and/or weight for the 550e?

A guy at the field runs (2) 6s 5000mAh 30C in his 600ESP.
To run a 8s setup in your 550 you will need a new motor and maybe a new esc (not sure if aligns one with the 550 can handle 8s) but i know the motor is rated at 22.2 max. If you tried to run with the align 600m motor and esc you would probably end up frying the motor and esc/
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
I would think so. Haven't been in electrics that long but I would think that would work (get a 2nd opinion to be sure lol)

To run a 8s setup in your 550 you will need a new motor and maybe a new esc (not sure if aligns one with the 550 can handle 8s) but i know the motor is rated at 22.2 max. If you tried to run with the align 600m motor and esc you would probably end up frying the motor and esc/
Well, I guess I'm stuck with having to buy two sets of lipos since the 550e won't run on 4s 5200mAh 30C, and since my buggy can't run on 6s 5200mAh 30C.

Thanks for the help

I'm beginning to think I should have gotten the 600 ESP so I could use two 4s.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm beginning to think I should have gotten the 600 ESP so I could use two 4s.
The 600ESP uses the same 600M motor the 550 does. So it still would be an issue.
You could always sell the 600M and ESC and buy a scorpion or neu motor and a Phoenix 80HV
Old 09-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would it be possifle to run three of these 2s 5000mAh 30C packs in series on my 550e to make a 6S Pack?

This would solve my problem since I could run three in series for my heli and two in series for my 1/8 buggy, eliminating the need for different lipos for each.

The weight would be 873g vs 812g for a 5000mAh 6S 35C Pack.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dude.. the question is already answerred like 4 or 5 times....!!!
Nko15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nko15 View Post
Dude.. the question is already answerred like 4 or 5 times....!!!
I've never understood why the hell folks post when they don't have anything positive to say, why waste your time and mine. Just go on the next thread if it's such an issue for you.

When folks are dealing with lipos and have a wife and children they just may be a bit more concerned about endangering their safety so give folks a break...Dude.

Also, it was not answered, no one confirmed that I could/or couldn't run three in series without having any issue. I'm trying to avoid having lipos sitting around unused if I don't have time to run my cars or heli for a certain periods of time (being a dad comes first and does take up a bit of my time), so being able to use the same sets will reduce this problem greatly.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default series batteries

check the weight and dimensions against the 6s 5000 mah, if it looks ok dimension wise you will be good to go. there are alot of advantages to running lipos in series to get the voltage you want and in your case being able to swap your lipos around for your heli and buggy. obviously running 3x2s batts in series will give you the 6s you require. just be aware that you will have a bit of a job getting them all to match voltage wise perfectly but i dont see this as being a huge problem. the big advantage with series setup is if you have a cell go down you are only up for the cost of a 2s battery and not a 6s. hope this helps
philbigglebiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbigglebiddle View Post
check the weight and dimensions against the 6s 5000 mah, if it looks ok dimension wise you will be good to go. there are alot of advantages to running lipos in series to get the voltage you want and in your case being able to swap your lipos around for your heli and buggy. obviously running 3x2s batts in series will give you the 6s you require. just be aware that you will have a bit of a job getting them all to match voltage wise perfectly but i dont see this as being a huge problem. the big advantage with series setup is if you have a cell go down you are only up for the cost of a 2s battery and not a 6s. hope this helps
Thanks for the help philbigglebiddle, the strange thing is that three Turnigy 2s 5000mAh 30c are 49mm wide, while one Turnigy 6s 5000mAh 30C is 50mm wide. I don't understand how that is possible. The difference in weight is about 69g according to Turnigy's lipo specs; I'm not sure if 69g would make a big difference in the 550e or not.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9514

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9518
Old 09-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

i see what you mean by the difference and im not sure why that would be but the maths comes down to a couple of millimetres either side which shouldnt be an issue, just make sure you use plently of velcro and strap them firmly together. as for the weight penalty, unless your really fussy then you probably wont notice it.
philbigglebiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in