Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3gx R.R.O.D.

Hi, I have a 450L dom. and I've crashed it twice now. Both times, I get a sudden hard right cyclic without giving any cyclic stick input. The heli goes straight into the ground. The second time, I was compensating with left stick input to try and land safely but then the prob corrected itself and by the time my brain realized what was going on, the heli was on the ground. (From me giving so much left cyclic)

Does this sound like a vibration issue? Is this the same symptoms as the "right roll of death" I've read about with the ar7200bx fbls?

3gx is mounted label-side down right below the main gear. Im on version 3.x of the software.

I'm trying to decide if I should move the 3gx to the back of the heli or if I should ditch the 3gx altogether. (Or if I should troubleshoot other causes)

Thanks in advance!
dontascii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontascii View Post
Hi, I have a 450L dom. and I've crashed it twice now. Both times, I get a sudden hard right cyclic without giving any cyclic stick input. The heli goes straight into the ground. The second time, I was compensating with left stick input to try and land safely but then the prob corrected itself and by the time my brain realized what was going on, the heli was on the ground. (From me giving so much left cyclic)

Does this sound like a vibration issue? Is this the same symptoms as the "right roll of death" I've read about with the ar7200bx fbls?

3gx is mounted label-side down right below the main gear. Im on version 3.x of the software.

I'm trying to decide if I should move the 3gx to the back of the heli or if I should ditch the 3gx altogether. (Or if I should troubleshoot other causes)

Thanks in advance!

Go with version 5, I have it on my 450L and it handles great. It does sound like vibration issues TBH

You have it mounted on the bottom tray, correct? Careful there as the middle aluminium landing gear bracket might come in contact with the 3GX and transfer vibrations to it!
jgiannakas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannakas View Post
Go with version 5, I have it on my 450L and it handles great. It does sound like vibration issues TBH

You have it mounted on the bottom tray, correct? Careful there as the middle aluminium landing gear bracket might come in contact with the 3GX and transfer vibrations to it!
Yes, I do! It never occurred to me that the landing gear bracket might be the cause of the vibrations! I bet that's it! Looks my 3gx is very close to it, if not touching it.

I think I'll mount it on the other tray, label side up, as soon as my parts arrive in the mail. Having it underneath really makes it hard to go through the setup process and since I'll be upgrading to v5 per your suggestion, it's a perfect time!

Thank you so much! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know where I'd be without this forum, but I know where my heli would be! On the ground.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing that helps with the 3gx setup is that make yourself a little switch to turn it on. Makes getting into the DIR setup a lot easier!

Did you spool it up without blades to check for bad vibes?
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 3GX death roll is a vibration problem sir. I flew the 3GX for years and know it well. Its probably the most sensitive to vibrations of any FBL system.

Just the tiniest wobble of the torque tube or a poorly centered torque tube gear... and off you go, cyclic rolling/dumping.

The newer FBL systems are much better at handling vibes from bent parts. I flew my Gpro with a torque tube so wobbly, the torque tube itself actually snapped in half before the Gpro did anything weird. The entire time it was vibrating, I was flying away and didn't even know it. Maybe just an occasional skid shake.. but the Gpro kept on flying.

I'll be honest with you... if you're just learning.. I'd just replace the 3GX. It can work and even work really well. But man, its a PITA to master. I mean its a hobby in itself. VBar, IKON, GPro- they all have basically the same setup. Much easier.

I know the 3GX inside and out... but it took a lot of crashing and rebuilding to figure out its quirks. ( and it has a LOT of quirks ).
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNburn420 View Post
Another thing that helps with the 3gx setup is that make yourself a little switch to turn it on. Makes getting into the DIR setup a lot easier!

Did you spool it up without blades to check for bad vibes?

You're right about a switch! I have installed one. No way in hell I was gonna get the 3gx into dir setup mode without it!
There's no vibration issues even with the blades on, at least nothing obvious. I can take off from a hard surface with no problem.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
The 3GX death roll is a vibration problem sir. I flew the 3GX for years and know it well. Its probably the most sensitive to vibrations of any FBL system.

Just the tiniest wobble of the torque tube or a poorly centered torque tube gear... and off you go, cyclic rolling/dumping.

The newer FBL systems are much better at handling vibes from bent parts. I flew my Gpro with a torque tube so wobbly, the torque tube itself actually snapped in half before the Gpro did anything weird. The entire time it was vibrating, I was flying away and didn't even know it. Maybe just an occasional skid shake.. but the Gpro kept on flying.

I'll be honest with you... if you're just learning.. I'd just replace the 3GX. It can work and even work really well. But man, its a PITA to master. I mean its a hobby in itself. VBar, IKON, GPro- they all have basically the same setup. Much easier.

I know the 3GX inside and out... but it took a lot of crashing and rebuilding to figure out its quirks. ( and it has a LOT of quirks ).
Thanks for the suggestion. I have really been considering an alternative, and your comment is enough for me. I'm tired of crashing because of this issue. I want to crash in style! Lol. Time to go shopping!

Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontascii View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I have really been considering an alternative, and your comment is enough for me. I'm tired of crashing because of this issue. I want to crash in style! Lol. Time to go shopping!

Thanks again.
Have you installed a second torque tube bearing as well?

To be honest, I know 3GX has a bad rep but it has worked well for me and I'm a beginner too - just follow these videos and you're set:
3GX Setup Guide Part 1 Mounting & Wiring (10 min 38 sec)
jgiannakas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
3gx, rrod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in