Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Other R/C Flight Simulators

Other R/C Flight Simulators Other R/C Flight Simulators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aerofly 5

Anyone tried this out? My main computer is a Mac, and this is the only sim I found that has an OS X version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairNinja View Post
Anyone tried this out? My main computer is a Mac, and this is the only sim I found that has an OS X version.
Heli-X is java based and will work native on OS X (Linux and Windows).

NeXt is C based and should work native on OS X (Linux and Windows).

All 3 (Aerofly, Heli-X and NeXt) require a PPM to USB cable for best results.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
NeXt is C based and should work native on OS X (Linux and Windows).
There's downloads for Win, Mac and Linux, run beautifully on my Macs with old Intel Graphics:
http://www.cgm-online.com/rc-heli-si..._download.html

It's all programmed in C# by the way.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am also a Mac guy. I purchased AeroFly 5.5 Mac version back in 2011. I upgraded to v5.7 a little over a year ago.

I originally purchased the game commander version. That controller was terrible. It did not have the Hold switch where I normally use it on my transmitter (top-right-rear). The controller would develop a drift after only a few minutes of using it, so it needed to be calibrated frequently; a replacement game commander controller behaved the same way. Needles to say, the need for frequent recalibration was very annoying. I ended up just using my transmitter, but I needed to purchase a Y-adapter and a USB interface cable for an additional cost. Even when using my own transmitter I found it a PITA having to connect and keep the bulky game commander controller on my desk taking up so much room.

In an effort to keep my desk space a little more tidy, I eventually sold the game commander version on eBay, and purchased the USB Interface version (version without the game commander controller). The surprise with it was that I also needed to purchase the Y-adapter for an additional cost.

This AeroFly 5.7 sim works fairly well. The three main issues I have with it are the following:

1) AeroFly 5.7 does not have a "keep ground in view" feature, so it is challenging to judge altitude without having the ground as a reference.

2) AeroFly 5.7 helicopters are not able to keep a consistent head speed. The sim acts as if the helicopters are underpowered.

3) There is usually no one online for multiplayer.

I find the user experience better with both Phoenix 4 and RF 6.5 even though I have to reboot my Mac via BootCamp; neither of these 2 sims worked well on my 2010 17" MBP via Parallels.

I am planning on upgrading to AeroFly RC7 when the Mac version releases in January 2014.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I've found that I have to sacrifice too much in the way of graphics quality with AF5.7 to get it to run smoothly. I also lament the lack of a ground-in-view option. I have a Mac mini attached to my HDTV for the original reason of simming on the big screen, but AF doesn't cut it and I don't really want to run Windows.

I will probably end up buying the CGM neXt sim. The graphics quality is on a par with Phoenix and it runs natively and smoothly at high graphics settings.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

We'll have to see if the new AeroFly RC7 for Mac which should be released later this month is any good. The windows version is already out, but I have not read any reviews on it.
Amain Team Pilot

Last edited by jhamel; 02-12-2014 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: aerofly rc7
Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, I downloaded Aerofly 7RC from the Mac App Store, and my old Aerofly Pro DX dongle doesn't seem to work. What do I do now?

Does SIM STICK still need the Dongle to work?

Can I just buy one of the $19 ebay dongles to get it to work? As of now I'm in $45 for a non-functioning sim.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTemp View Post
So, I downloaded Aerofly 7RC from the Mac App Store, and my old Aerofly Pro DX dongle doesn't seem to work. What do I do now?

Does SIM STICK still need the Dongle to work?

Can I just buy one of the $19 ebay dongles to get it to work? As of now I'm in $45 for a non-functioning sim.

Thanks!
Sim stick does need a dongle to work. It provides a wireless interface to a dongle (provided you have a 6ch receiver).

As for dongles, what does Aerofly or Apple say? HF has a policy of not discussing anything that may seem to infringe copyright.

Was a dongle part of the purchase price? What was the listed dongles that would work with Aerofly?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aerofly 5

It was an Apple App Store purchase. I'm not trying to circumvent anything. I just want to know why they'd sell software that I can't use.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I went to the company link from the App Store and found this page:

http://www.aeroflyrc.com/input-devices.html

I'd bet an FMS-compatible cable would work. Since this is only $45, I may download it and see, although I really like neXt.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
It was an Apple App Store purchase. I'm not trying to circumvent anything. I just want to know why they'd sell software that I can't use.
Can see that. Just did not know what the dongle requirements for Aerofly are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
I went to the company link from the App Store and found this page:

http://www.aeroflyrc.com/input-devices.html

I'd bet an FMS-compatible cable would work. Since this is only $45, I may download it and see, although I really like neXt.
Then almost any eBay, neXt, FMS, Clearview or Heli-X capable dongle will work.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aerofly 5

Hmmm. I already own an Aerofly Pro dongle from 6 or do years ago. Think there's a way to get it work?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

AeroFly 5.7 requires either the proprietary Ikarus Game Commander controller of the proprietary Ikarus dongle, so similar to Phoenix sim (requires proprietary dongle) or RealFlight (proprietary controller or dongle).

AeroFly RC7 does not require a proprietary controller or dongle, so similar to neXt. Both AeroFly RC7 and neXt work with the RealFlight elite controller. Both AeroFly RC7 and neXt will also work with many transmitters using a generic dongle (eBay, HeliDirect, HobbyKing, etc.)

On my Mac OSX, I prefer neXt over either AeroFly RC7 or AeroFly 5.7. Despite the inconvenience of firing up Parallels or rebooting in BootCamp, I prefer RealFlight 6.5/7 and even Phoenix 4/5 over AeroFly RC7 or AeroFly 5.7.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 06-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aerofly 5

Good to know. I'll get a dongle and go from there. Thanks!!!

Why do you prefer neXt, btw?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Why do you prefer neXt, btw?
I find neXt's user interphase more user-friendly to tweak helicopters to my liking than AF RC7.

AF 5.7 and AF RC7 helicopter models are way underpowered. Minor collective changes make the HS decrease 200rpm. Pitch pumps can make the HS decrease as much as 700rpm. None of my real helis behave that way in real life. If there is a way to keep the HS more consistent, I have not found it.

neXt has has 15 FBL aerobatic helicopters. AF RC7 has 9 FBL aerobatic helicopters. On the other hand, next has only 17 helicopter models compared to 43 helicopter models for AF RC7.

AF RC7 is a more full featured simulator with different types of flying machines. However, since I only fly FBL helicopters, I prefer neXt.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 07-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am running the Aerofly RC7 on my 13" mid 2011 MacBook Air (OS X 10.8.5). It runs around 30 to 60 FPS with graphics set to the default medium quality. I'm not that impressed with RC7 but recently I had to delete Windows from my laptop to free up disk space and was left without a sim.

I tried one of the cheap 16 in 1 China special radio cable adapters, which worked with Windows. It would not work on the same laptop in OS X. I then dug up a very old Hitec USB transmitter simulator cord and that works with my MacBook Air and RC7.

Link below shows image. I think it was a pretty inexpensive cable when I purchased it. Looks like is has been discontinued.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/parts-a...rfaces/product

Only have had RC7 for 1 day now. It's okay for me to get some practice in to avoid the dumb thumbs mistakes because I go so long between getting out to the field. I find RC7 to feel a bit clunky and doesn't seem as polished as a couple others I ran when I had Windows on my laptop. RC7 is a little buggy too. Have had a couple glitches requiring me to either restart or change aircraft to get it running again. For $45 I guess it is fine and will do the job to allow me to practice. But it's not as fun to use as others I've used. Not saying it is bad, but could be a bit better.

When the new MacBook Air with retina display comes out, or the new MacBook Pro 13" with the Haswell CPU, I'm going to sell my MBA and buy one of those with a larger drive so I can install Windows again and run a sim under Windows. But for now this seems like the only OS X option for me.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotSmith View Post
Only have had RC7 for 1 day now...for now this seems like the only OS X option for me.
How about neXt for Mac?
Amain Team Pilot
Old 07-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
How about neXt for Mac?
Yes. There are two other native SIM options for Mac:

neXt and Heli-X

(When I'm running on my Mac I always gravitate towards neXt, especially since they just added a Rescue mode to their SIM similar to the Bavarian Demon BD-3SX which is what I use on my heli).

Goblin 380 / Spirit FBL
Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02DropTopM3 View Post
Yes. There are two other native SIM options for Mac:

neXt and Heli-X

(When I'm running on my Mac I always gravitate towards neXt, especially since they just added a Rescue mode to their SIM similar to the Bavarian Demon BD-3SX which is what I use on my heli).
I don't know how the heck I missed those when I searched last week… Downloading Heli-X and Next demo now to try.

Edit: I should have known better and checked here before doing something heli related. The Heli-X demo does all I need and I like the graphics better than RC7. Guess I wasted $45 on Aerofly. For now will be using the Heli-X demo for a while. The RC7 is not a total waste as there are airplanes and I could use a little practice with them too. But HD space on my laptop is at a premium and the 10GB RC7 may have to go if I end up not using it much. neXt also runs fine on my laptop in "good" graphics mode. Overall I think I would have been happier with either of those than RC7 for heli practice.

But keep in mind I fly very little so I don't know really which one has the best physics for more serious practice for 3D stuff, etc. All 3 work my old Hitec adapter cable on my DX7 and my old Optic 6 radios.

Last edited by PilotSmith; 07-13-2014 at 07:00 PM..
PilotSmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in