Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail drive slip

Now that I have a couple of reasonably priced OWB for the drive shaft (thank you MA) I got my whiplash out for a couple of flights this past weekend.

I've missed flying it...

Anyway, second flight the tail let loose and I was able to do my first ever auto (Starting as a piro auto no less) and landed safely.

So it looks like the first gear on the tail drive system is slipping on the shaft. Not the bevel gear, the top one.

I haven't taken it apart yet but wanted to know if this is somewhat common and should I order something better?

I get the feeling I could just repair the grub screws but is this something others have done?

Any tips for the repair?

Cheers!!
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Got it apart and it seemed like there simply wasn't any locktite on the grub screws, or it was very little and had let loose after a couple of years. I checked the manual and saw it was a factory assembled part i figured that it might just be the locktite problem. Put some on and put it all back together.

Hopefully it holds. I really love this heli and want it to last.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is a known problem with the whiplash tail. I recommend red locktite when reassembling. Funny thing, my whiplash did the same thing this weekend. I wasn't so luck and it cost me a set of frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have the old plastic gears or the metal upgrade?

If the gear is plastic DO NOT use loctite on the grub screws. Loctite eats plastic. You can use some CA on the screws in the plastic gear - I had to do that on mine.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the plastic gears, but it was the top, straight gear that let loose. I thought the upgrade was just the bottom bevel gears? I'll look them up but my plastic gears are in good shape it was just the grub screws.

I did use some locktite but I did my best to just get it down the hole with a toothpick trying to keep the plastic clean.

We'll see how it goes, but I'll check out the metal gears as well.
Cheers
Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh hold on.. I'm trying to remember because I don't have the Heli in front of me at this moment... Is that gear plastic pressed onto a metal collar? If yes then disregard, you do want loctite where the screw seats into the metal collar.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

lol... I often forget why I walked into a room, let alone all the different parts of a heil...

Yes, these the the plastic gears with the metal inserts. The Grub screw is long enough that it holds both the plastic and the metal collar.

I flew it on the weekend and so far it's been ok.

Thanks for the feed back,
Cheers
Old 09-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If there is slippage your dog pint isn't seated in the hole that is meant for the dog point to go in

3 years of whippies (approx) and I had this happen once and that was builder's (my) fault

Never have I had that happens again. Please loctite a little and make sure that the dog pint seats well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in