Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question EXI Fiberglass blades

Anybody here have experience with the EXI Fiberglasg blades? I understand they shatter on impact, which seems like it would save my main shaft, main gear, feathering spindle, and blade grips from damage during a crash. Is this true? If so, how will the heli handle compared to the stock woodies? Keep in mind I am noob still getting tail in hovering down in IU (its always windy here). I just want to cut down the expense of crashing so much.
gtrsteele is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have flown with the fiberglass blades from xheli/hobbypartz, which I think are the ones your referring to. They dont shatter on impact. I have crashed with them before and they held up but bent the shafts and the head block. I dont think they can handle too high of a headspeed because they are fiberglass, but for hovering and stuff they will be just fine. The heli will fly a little better, but it wont be a huge night and day difference. They are good blades for the price, but the cheap carbon fiber ones from xheli/hobbypartz are a little better and dont cost much more. I am currently flying with the carbon fiber ones at around 3200 headspeed and they fly decent. Your going to need shims for the blades because the roots are thinner than the blade 450 grips, or I have heard they are. If I remember right the blade 450 grips are 7mm and the blade roots are 4.5mm.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you can find them in stock, get them. I've flown and crashed at least a dozen of them without any problems. I fly IU a straight 100% throttle, so they can handle the 420 motor max headspeed. They come in two sizes, the 335mm are the same length as stock, but I prefer the 325mm, feel a little snappier to me.

The best reason to get them though is that it makes crashes cheap. Usually the blades are the most expensive part of the crash. Go for it!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got a couple of pair of the cf blades and they're pretty good for the money. As with any blades balance them first before using them.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll probably stick with the woodies then. CF blades are more exspensive. I was only hoping to reduce the "collateral" damage.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsteele View Post
I'll probably stick with the woodies then. CF blades are more exspensive. I was only hoping to reduce the "collateral" damage.
These EXI CF blades are a lot cheaper than the woodies and in stock. http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-pro-3251.html

That's an old picture in that add, they look just like the 335mm ones.

Being is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Being View Post
These EXI CF blades are a lot cheaper than the woodies and in stock. http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-pro-3251.html

That's an old picture in that add, they look just like the 335mm ones.

Are they crap? I find it hard to belive that they can be good if they are cheaper than woodies. Will they absorb more of the impact of a crash than woodies? Will I need spacers? If so, what size and where can I get them?

Last edited by gtrsteele; 04-25-2012 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: want to add another question
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My experience is they fly better than woodies. These blades don't shatter as easy as the fiberglass version but they do break a lot easier than the woodies so they provide a little more forgivness to the other components than the woodies.
Being is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Hudock View Post
I have flown with the fiberglass blades from xheli/hobbypartz, which I think are the ones your referring to. They dont shatter on impact. I have crashed with them before and they held up but bent the shafts and the head block. I dont think they can handle too high of a headspeed because they are fiberglass, but for hovering and stuff they will be just fine. The heli will fly a little better, but it wont be a huge night and day difference. They are good blades for the price, but the cheap carbon fiber ones from xheli/hobbypartz are a little better and dont cost much more. I am currently flying with the carbon fiber ones at around 3200 headspeed and they fly decent. Your going to need shims for the blades because the roots are thinner than the blade 450 grips, or I have heard they are. If I remember right the blade 450 grips are 7mm and the blade roots are 4.5mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Being View Post
My experience is they fly better than woodies. These blades don't shatter as easy as the fiberglass version but they do break a lot easier than the woodies so they provide a little more forgivness to the other components than the woodies.
So, the FB do shatter on impact? Wouldn't that be better than using the CF to keep the damage low? Dylan quoted that the FG do not shatter. I am consused. I would like to save money all around. Weather it be with the FG or CF blades to save all the other parts I routinely damage when I crash. My wife is starting to get pissed with the money I am spending.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They don't "shatter" like glass... But they do break very easily, which releases a lot of energy that isn't transferred to other parts. I personally doubt that the crash he said that bent the shaft and headblock really had anything to do with the blades, more likely he slammed it hard into the ground, and No blades are going to save you from that. But they do break easy, they do hold up to 3k rpm, just fine, and they will provide a lot more safe flight than just hovering.

My experience, is that they are cheap, and will not transfer as much force as woodies or carbons. If you crash often enough to worry about transferring force to other parts, then these are definitely the blades to go with. I know because I crash often enough to say so, haha.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha2490 View Post
They don't "shatter" like glass... But they do break very easily, which releases a lot of energy that isn't transferred to other parts. I personally doubt that the crash he said that bent the shaft and headblock really had anything to do with the blades, more likely he slammed it hard into the ground, and No blades are going to save you from that. But they do break easy, they do hold up to 3k rpm, just fine, and they will provide a lot more safe flight than just hovering.

My experience, is that they are cheap, and will not transfer as much force as woodies or carbons. If you crash often enough to worry about transferring force to other parts, then these are definitely the blades to go with. I know because I crash often enough to say so, haha.
I crash almost every time, but hat's another story. My telemetry reports I am in the 3.2K range. If I use the FG blades should I lower my throttle curve down to get it to 3k?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unless you are using a different motor than stock, I think you'll be fine. I flew them 100% throttle. I talk about them in past tense because I haven't been able to find them in stock for a whole. But of I do find them, I'll buy more. They are great for the cost and just fine for normal flight.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha2490 View Post
Unless you are using a different motor than stock, I think you'll be fine. I flew them 100% throttle. I talk about them in past tense because I haven't been able to find them in stock for a whole. But of I do find them, I'll buy more. They are great for the cost and just fine for normal flight.
Thank you Buddha2490 for your advice. Now if I can only find some.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Take a look at the Bible thread hehe.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my experience they didnt break or crack or anything, but I didnt crash them that hard. I imagine if the hit the ground hard enough they would shatter though.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I purchased my last set from Heli-Direct. They're called "Pro 3D", cost a bit more, but the packages all have the same part number and nomenclature as the EXI ones from the HobbyPartz/xheli kingdom (i purchased from both places last month).

Here's all the 335 blades at HeliDirect (which are actually 325's - same length as stock):
http://helidirect.com/pro-best-value...17_120_785.hdx

Oh, I "shattered" one set in a real crash, chipped up another set in a blade strike in the grass....definitely break more easily than the stock woodies.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post
I purchased my last set from Heli-Direct. They're called "Pro 3D", cost a bit more, but the packages all have the same part number and nomenclature as the EXI ones from the HobbyPartz/xheli kingdom (i purchased from both places last month).

Here's all the 335 blades at HeliDirect (which are actually 325's - same length as stock):
http://helidirect.com/pro-best-value...17_120_785.hdx

Oh, I "shattered" one set in a real crash, chipped up another set in a blade strike in the grass....definitely break more easily than the stock woodies.
I got the last pair. Nice!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's been my experience that when i crash a 450 bad enough to break blades, something else will break along with it no matter what. Whether it be woodies, cf, fg or plastic, i dont think that i've ever "just" broke the blades..... Buy your blades for their flight charachteristics versus cost your willing to dish out for performance. Dont count on your blades saving you from other broken parts. If you break a set of blades even from a bad landing, i would go as far to say to give your whole power/drivetrain a full inspection if not a teardown....
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by upankatz View Post
It's been my experience that when i crash a 450 bad enough to break blades, something else will break along with it no matter what. Whether it be woodies, cf, fg or plastic, i dont think that i've ever "just" broke the blades..... Buy your blades for their flight charachteristics versus cost your willing to dish out for performance. Dont count on your blades saving you from other broken parts. If you break a set of blades even from a bad landing, i would go as far to say to give your whole power/drivetrain a full inspection if not a teardown....
You make a good point. I make point to check everything with any crash no matter how minor it is.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upankatz View Post
I believe you will be happier with the fiberglass or carbon fiber, part of what makes them better is they don't flex as much, I think the wood blades fly like crap compared. I just got 2x of the fiberglass and 1x carbon for like 16.00 shipped, it took 2 weeks from China, I bought their because all the US sellers were out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270391189935...84.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280564960022...84.m1439.l2649
The fiberglass will shatter as fast as the woods.. No telling what will break in a crash..
I use the threaded screws from ace hardware for the Jesus pin, they break on impact and I have only slightly damaged one main gear in over 8 crashes.

nylon #10 flat washers at lowes for .63 cents or anywhere work great as spacers
jackate11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in