Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Bergen R/C Helicopters

Bergen R/C Helicopters Bergen Intrepid 90 Intrepid Turbine Observer Industrial Twin Observer Turbine Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 05:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Patience, that's even better than nerves of steel. As for the T-rex idea, I built one right after they first came out. Compared to my Bergen, or even the Raptors, it's a handful to fly. And for what you get (size wise), they are expensive. I've heard the little Blade CX is great for practicing in the house and they are under $200.00. I'd actually really like to build a 620 E-Raptor or 600 T-rex but when you price one out, OUCH. Might just as well invest in another gasser. Good luck on the AP work.
Bobs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow! A whole lot of advice that I can really use. Thanks everyone for your input! I have one more question (for now anyway), however. I have looked at a few radios and have just read up on the DX7(I can see its advantages). How do the different channel (7,8, & 9) radios compare with one another? What would be the maximum number of channels needed for a gasser heli and why?
mister2u is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ail, Elev, Collective, throttle, t/r and gyro gain...so six.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Six, huh? Cool! Thanks Mark.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

6 is MINIMUM!! You could certainly use 8 as well. If it was me I'd say don't buy a radio that is less then 8 channel , maybe even 9 will be better but at least 8. In my case on my helis:

throttle
aileron
elevator
rudder
gv-1 on/off
collective
gyro rate and heading hold/normal switch
rpm speed for gv-1
generator power (on 9th channel on RX).

So when you say 6, you have to inhibit some functions. Like maybe you don't need to switch the gyro between heading hold and normal, or maybe you don't need to turn on/off the gv-1 via a switch. But these things add functionality and convenience, so buy more than you need as there is nothing worse than realizing you don't have enough channels.

My first heli radio was a 6 channel. Guess what. It flies my airplane now.

-=>Raja.
Jewel on-board Generators, Miniature Aircraft Team Manager
rbort is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Raja's right.

Get the best you can. It's better in the end. Initially, I thought my 9C was plenty. Now all the channels are taken and I'm wondering about a 12Z.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

And the price difference between a 7 chanel to 9 channel is so small that it's almost not worth worring about....

Dean
6cuda6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dean is correct...I have always told people just getting into the hobby whether it is helis or planks...get the best radio you can afford right off the bat...The radio is going to be with you a long time. Unless funds only allow you to buy a 6 channel then I would stay away from anything less than 8 or 9 channels (as Raja already said)...If you can afford the higher end radio from any of the mainstream companies I would go for it...

Now...on the other hand...if you think you might venture into fixed wing, or possibly try your hand at AP...and you funds are limited right now...maybe an inexpensive 6 ch would fit the bill right now to get you going...you can always use it on planes or to control you camera mount...again...as Raja already has found out!

Bottom line...get what you can afford to get into the hobby...as it will mostly likely turn into an obsession...then all your checks will go for bigger and better stuff all the time anyway!
Greg Alderman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with getting the best radio you can afford as you don't want to have to upgrade later, As far as learning on a big Bergen gasser it is not impossible, I have taught abprox 7 people in the last year to fly on the Bergen. Now it is a big advantage to have someone with experience teach you.
If you don't have some one in your area flying these it's still possible but as Brady did you will have to set your goals far apart and accept the fact that your learning curve will be much steeper. Take very slow steps until you have them mastered and don't jump the gun. Gather all the info or referance material you can and refer back to it. If you don't have alot of patience it may not be the way to go for you.
I'm glad to here that the video is working for people, as stated earlier it is nice to have something to go back to. Do this enough times and it becomes second nature.
Gary
Magnum Fuels
Wren Turbines
Ircha #2289
AMA #9377
Gary Travis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I appreciate all of the input from you guys. I now feel that I am well equipped to make the right decision regarding my new adventure. Time is slowly approaching for me to place my orders so that I can get started on building my gasser. I'm currently in school so that will allow me to take the necessary time (and not rush) to build everything correctly. Thanks again everyone. When orders start coming in and the building begins, i'll be back for further questions.

BJ
Old 02-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gary, I'm just making it home this evening and found your DVD in my box. Hummm! This is gonna be a great weekend!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been flying my first heli, the Bergen EB, for about 5 weeks. I flew Gary's little nitro with woody blades about 3 times before the Bergen. After the initial fear was somewhat under control, I found the Bergen 'easy' to fly for a new like myself.

It flys like a big Cadillac, as long as you pay attention. I don't regret learning on it. But I will admit having local help (Gary) has helped my learning curve along at a much faster curve.

You'll have some set backs, and some screw ups, but those will just help you learn more about how your heli works. And understanding it will make you a better pilot.

Good luck, and happy combustion. Oh yes, be sure to buy the Unobtainium muffler, much easier on the ears.
Piton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #33 (permalink)

Default Bergen is great, but...

The biggest difference between a Raptor and a Bergen ?

The Raptor can be 'put together' .
The Intrepid has to be 'built'.

Building tolerances are much lower in the Bergen than in a Raptor. Good guidance is a must with a first Bergen. But that's normal : Compare a Corvette with a small japanese car. That's exactly the relation between a Intrepid and a Raptor.

A good way to go might be :

Invest a lot in good electronics ( servo's, radio, etc.) and buy a cheaper heli for a start. If you really evolve in the hobby, you'll want to keep the small heli for fun and practice and you'll buy a bigger/faster/meaner bird for the challenge. The good electronics will stay with you a lot longer than the heli. Even if it is a Bergen.

Kind Regards,
Jan Dewerchin.
jdewer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok everyone, it's about time for me to make my purchase. I have purchased and am getting to know my 9CHPS. I have one question, however. Is there anyone out there who has purchased, built, practiced, and learned successfully on their EB's without "one-on-one" (in person) instruction from anyone? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm up against. I know that any build for these large birds may not be as pleasant for some as it has been for others. I just want to know what i've got ahead of me.

BJ
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My friend got into heli's a while back, He started with a Raptor 60 flew it 2 times and sold it..Could'nt stand the smoke screen while learning to hover.
His second heli (and 3rd flight) was a Bergen Gasser. He took his time and learned to hover and fly around alittle. Then he got a Benzin trainer also. He flew the Bergen the most. He Never crashed, just stuck the tail in the dirt hard once while hovering. The Bergen was the second heli he ever built..did a fine job. Now I must say this guy is VERY mechanically inclined. He later got out of the hobby as he works WAY too much. I agree the Gasser can be a little scary. but I believe you will spend more money having 2 helis, than taking your time and learning on a high end piece. The best part is he got MUCH more of his money back on the Gassers than he did the Raptor. No sense getting an E-Heli, too much money and equipment. What some people don't realize is that not everybody wants to flip and flop their heli around. People who take their time, learn to hover in all oreintations, and learn their heli BEFORE doing flipping takeoffs....Don't crash that much.

Good Luck and I'm sure you will be Happy with your choice

Stator Gator
Sold Heli's to build AMC Racecar....still lurking
Tom Fiddler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was flying(if you call it that ) micros prior to my EB. While it's intimidating to spool up compared to a micro, the EB was much easier to fly.

Just a thought...you may want to start with shorter blades to save a bit in the event of a crash. 810 V's go about $250. Just bought the 2nd set since I got mine about this time last year. Dang fence posts.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok everyone, I'm back and will soon start building. I ordered the EB this morning. It should be here on Thursday. I just ordered the 401/S9254 setup. I went straight S9252's (6) for everything else. My 9CHPS came in last week. Went with the 810 V's (couldn't help it Mark ). One more question, however. I've been reading good things about Duralite batteries and have seen that some of you are using them. What setup might I need or does anyone have any other suggestions? Haven't forgotten about you either, Raja. I'll be getting your generator setup soon. And Chris, don't feel bad about not knowing that it was me that you spoke with on Friday. Hey, you've got tons of other things going on :glasses2: .

BJ
Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

One more thing. Gary, I am really enjoying the DVD! I've been watching it quite often and am ready to put it to use.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm using the Duralite 4000 w/ regulator on my EB. I haven't gotten a generator on yet. According to posts I've seen from Raja, you don't need all that much battery with the generator going. The cost savings of using a lesser battery would be a plus too.

You'll love it with the 810's on there...just don't crash. That's the part you won't love :wink: The blades cost twice as much as everything else that I replaced in my crash.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Generator from Raja is NOT designed to work with the Duralite Li-Ion batteries. Might want to discuss the particulars with him, but I believe the problem is the charging of the batteries while inflight.....

The Duralites typically give me the whole weekends worth of flying on my Turbine and my Gasser. The package you want is either 1 or 2, http://www.duralitebatteries.com/packages_heli.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in