Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahld View Post
In another thread some questions have come-up about what will fit motor size-wise under the canopy. Kyle should be home from the OHB by Tuesday, and I will take some measurements and post them.

Here's a long answer to a simple question. As for the power issue of various motors...As you can see (and probably know) from the postings above, motor performance just based on published watt ratings doesn't always tell the whole picture.

Kyle has prototyped several power systems for Mikado over the years, and one thing we've learned along the way is that just because a motor on paper looks to be a great candidate for a heli, the real world often says otherwise. If a system gets rejected, it's usually because there's some combination of kv and gearing, cell count, motor size / construction...whatever, that makes it run too hot, flights get too short, or the motor is just too large and heavy for the application.

Let's face it. If we could always get awesome power from the largest motors that would physically fit in a particular heli (and the weight didn't matter), and they always ran cool, didn't overly tax the other parts of the system or heli, and gave acceptably long flights, then there would never be a debate about the issue. But that's not the way it is. EVERYTHING is a compromise.

So about the 4020-1100? If the mounting spacing is the same, and being only about 5mm taller than the 4015, it should physically work in the 480. I'm guessing the power on the 4020 on 6S is probably pretty close to the power of the 4015 on 6S...but the 4020 is heavier. Run a smaller battery with the 4020 and it's a push. The real question is, how much powered do YOU need for how you'll fly the heli?

Note the heli Kyle flew in the video running a 4015-1070 on 6S is about as heavy as one can get. He was flying some heavy (for the heli) 4000mah packs, with weight on the tail to balance. It's been discussed that the 4015 on 6S is pushing only about 1400 watts. But the heli sure doesn't fly like it's heavy and under powered.

So in the end, it's really hard for me to make a recommendation that I know guys might use to spend their hard earned money, if we've never actually tried it.

Sorry for the long-winded "I'm not sure" answer.

(-: Dave
Dave is Kyle still running the 23 tooth pinion?
Thanks for all the help and posting you do for everyone else's benefit

Dave Olsen
rcman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes. The set-up in the OHB video is with the mod.5 main gear and 23 tooth pinion running a conservative head speed of 2600 (as a reference Kyle tells me Kyle Stacy runs his Goblin 500 @ 2750).

dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorapture View Post
It looks like everything about the head is the same as 550SX except dampners, dampner offsets, grips and block.

LOL so its the same except nearly all of it is different??

Varelco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #144 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, the head block is of the same 550 / 600 design, and from a distance looks the same...but side by side you can see the 480's head block is a scaled-down version. At first I thought they were the same part...until I started looking a little closer.

And the blade grips must have a separate part number, because although essentially the exact same molding, the blade bolt size on the 480 is molded smaller.

(-: dave
Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #145 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
LOL so its the same except nearly all of it is different??
Part count wise more same than different. I was just trying to summarize given some confusion earlier on grips. Without looking at manual, same are: spindle (would need to double check), radial and thrust bearings, washers, bolts and arms.

Mikado obviously went with same design just downsized where it made sense. I for one like that a number of 550SX parts are interchangeable.
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, checking the manual, Spindle is the same.

That's a beefy spindle for this size Heli, given that its used all the way up to a 600SE!!
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

It’s odd that Mikado have created basically a “new” head for the 480.

I always liked the Mikado idea of common parts between all the models.

It makes shopping for parts really easy and I like that you can easily stretch of shrink your heli and tailor it like you like it with just a few parts.

Having said all that I wonder if they plan to roll out the new head on the existing 400 and 400se models? That would certainly justify the development of the 480 head.
Bullfrog98 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #148 (permalink)
Registered Users

Seems like a main difference on the new 480's head block is that it's very much shorter than the 500 / 600 head block (about 20mm give or take).

You might think then that the blades will just sit ever so much closer to the boom, but, the boom's relationship to the blades is affected by the boom's mounting position in the frames. Both changes work together in the design to maintain proper blade / boom clearance.

So...replacing the 400 / 400SE heads with the new 480's head might be looking for trouble It will definitely result in less clearance between the blades and boom. Plus, linkages etc. would all have to be changed.

FWIW (-:

Old 12-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #149 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahhh, that makes sense. So the head block has just been lowered to account for the boom to blade difference on the new model.

Ok thanks Dave that clears things up for me.
Bullfrog98 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might wonder why they didn't just shorten the main shaft. Seems like a cheaper option. I imagine the shorter head block leaves more room for swash plate movement.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #151 (permalink)
Registered Users

Logo 480XXTreme: test flight (4 min 13 sec)
Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #152 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Geez San for a second there I thought you got one already and were posting your 1st flight vid.

Sounds like your sold o this guy, I'll have to check it out.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #153 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo XXtreme 480 picture and video shortage?!? ***PICTURES ADDED***

Haha, beat me to the video.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #154 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's some impressive flying for such a small area!

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #155 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
Geez San for a second there I thought you got one already and were posting your 1st flight vid.

Sounds like your sold o this guy, I'll have to check it out.
Yup, pre-ordered.
Winter is long, need lots of things to build. This one will be sort of an appetizer before the new year I hope, followed by Goblin 770 Competition and then a mythical Protos Maxi for dessert.

I've always been waiting for a smaller Logo, the old design did nothing for me but this one seems right on the money.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #156 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hear ya.
I've got 3 planes on the go and been repairing all my heli's.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow I couldn't even through a garden gnome in that back garden without hitting something. GREAT FLYING!!!!!!
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Wow I couldn't even through a garden gnome in that back garden without hitting something. GREAT FLYING!!!!!!
I take off I fly into fence end of my video
SMJT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #159 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is some great flying! is it me or does it seem to hang forever, looked awesome. Seriously considering selling my Goblin 500 for one of these.

Varelco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #160 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face what so big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helis4Life77 View Post
I agree. Wheres the vids at???? i would like to see it fly!
theres that new 520 heli out that looks like that. the lay out looks the same, forgot the name but its a new heli,not to impress.
genuine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in