Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Possible Glitch with CP II ??? My case

Well, as I had posted before, on Saturday I flew inverted with no problem. Sunday I updated to v.1.40. Today Monday I went flying did 2 level flights without incidence.
By this time on my 3rd flight, the Sun was almost reaching the horizon, no clouds, 2/3 miles wind, 74 degrees temp., all systems go.

I made high inverted hover, as well as high inverted FF and sideways.I climbed and returned to level flight. Then I descended to in order make a low circuit and land. As I was making a fast left turn, to begin heading my way, the heli suddenly switched to a perfect fast forward inverted flight, getting me completely desoriented, since I never expected such a move to take place. It was so quick that when I noticed the heli going down, I just reacted with positive pitch and you can imagine the end of the story.

I really don't know what to think, since there has been another similar incident already posted a few days ago... Now it's late, I am tired and don't want to think how much money getting flying again will cost me.
Locitur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about that dude, I know when things go wrong, it happens so fast, your left in a daze saying WTF just happened.

Hope you get your heli back in the air soon,

FCA

JR X9503.FunJet Ultra, Scimitar, Stryker F27C and Q, DogFighter, mCPx
FLAME747 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear, and after things were going so well for you. Hope you find the reason for what happened
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Locitur, I know the feeling of WTF type crashes which I had a few. For now I suspect the culprit being my radio DX6i rather than CP2. In all cases, the helis just all of the sudden veer downwards. It has never happened when the helis are high up but happens at lower altitude hence no time to recover but the helis do not obey my stick input when the crashes occure.
vanguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locitur View Post
Well, as I had posted before, on Saturday I flew inverted with no problem. Sunday I updated to v.1.40. Today Monday I went flying did 2 level flights without incidence.
By this time on my 3rd flight, the Sun was almost reaching the horizon, no clouds, 2/3 miles wind, 74 degrees temp., all systems go.

I made high inverted hover, as well as high inverted FF and sideways.I climbed and returned to level flight. Then I descended to in order make a low circuit and land. As I was making a fast left turn, to begin heading my way, the heli suddenly switched to a perfect fast forward inverted flight, getting me completely desoriented, since I never expected such a move to take place. It was so quick that when I noticed the heli going down, I just reacted with positive pitch and you can imagine the end of the story.

I really don't know what to think, since there has been another similar incident already posted a few days ago... Now it's late, I am tired and don't want to think how much money getting flying again will cost me.
Locitur; if it was in 3D mode and you made a fast left turn; do you think that maybe the CPll got active and "leveled" the heli but inverted since you were in 3D mode? Just a thought. I'm also trying to understand this gadget better.

Sorry for the crash... I'm a newb and I know how it feels. My first crash was "landing " it with -12 pitch full throttle down.. it was getting close to a fence and I thought better land it... i was wrong
tribe3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tribe3,

I was already on level mode; nevertheless if the CP II is in inverted mode, but the heli is not inverted, it will not arm and will continue to act as in level mode.

Thanks everyone for their encouraging words. I think it will take some time to get in the air again, since money right now is not at hand...

But what makes me think is if I can really continue trusting in this system as it is or there is a bug in the new version that causes this to happen. I never inverted the heli at that stage of the flight and less being that close to the ground. Some other pilots who were watching thought I had inverted the heli and was bringing it back in low altitude FF...so stable and quick the heli inverted itself.

Perhaps the position of the Sun a few degrees over the horizon "confused" the vertical sensor and made it think it was inverted and flipped over to return to level flight...I don't really know, but a similar thing happend to another member (Teej) that posted a similar situation a few days back.

Last edited by Locitur; 03-30-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locitur View Post
Tribe3,

I was already on level mode; nevertheless if the CP II is in inverted mode, but the heli is not inverted, it will not arm and will continue to act as in level mode.

Thanks everyone for their encouraging words. I think it will take some time to get in the air again, since money right now is not at hand...

But what makes me think is if I can really continue trusting in this system as it is or there is a bug in the new version that causes this to happen. I never inverted the heli at that stage of the flight and less being that close to the ground. Some other pilots who were watching thought I had inverted the heli and was bringing it back in low altitude FF...so stable and quick the heli inverted itself.

Perhaps the position of the Sun a few degrees over the horizon "confused" the vertical sensor and made it think it was inverted and flipped over to return to level flight...I don't really know, but a similar thing happend to another member that posted a similar situation a few days back.
I would not think the 1.4 had caused your issue, the update was to increase the opertional window in which the CPII can function.
It may well be as you described where the sun was positioned, or perhaps a faulty vertical sensor.
I would contact FMA and inquire about having your unit tested.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Locitur,
One question if I may.. exactly how do you have the CPII setup on your Tx?

On a slider or 2 way or 3 way switch?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
Locitur,
One question if I may.. exactly how do you have the CPII setup on your Tx?

On a slider or 2 way or 3 way switch?
NIghtflyer,

I have it on a 3 way switch - in the Futaba 7C FASST. When CP II is off I have autotrim in 6 degrees. After the crash I checked the radio to confirm that I had not swichted CP II off after doing inverted flight, and I confirmed the switch was in the level mode.

I have begun assessing the damage and getting ready to rebuild as soon as I can!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you have recovery set up?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
Do you have recovery set up?
To level flight mode.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Might want to contact FMA about your unit,
but after reading your post again it looks as you were banking the heli took it as approuching inverted attitude and fliped inverted on you, with out see it this is only a guess, but it may have to do with the way you Tx is set..ATV's

Just a guess mind you but worth a look

Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mmmm, I doubt it because I had already switched to level flight mode, and if it had been in inverted mode, since I was flying level the CP II would not have armed inverted and just stay in level mode.

Perhaps the Sun's position close to the horizon and a temperature inversion close to the ground might have triggered a vertical attitude confusion... Nevertheless I will send the unit to FMA so they can see if there is anything there.

CP II is a great system and really makes flying easier and enjoyable.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is true..but with this kind of technology, comes the gray area's

Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have already sent my CP II to Howard so they can check it.

The cost of spare parts to repair my Swift 16 are already over 50% of the price of a new Swift NX...I will have to analyze what step to take.

What is certain is that I will be grounded for some time ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in