Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Unhappy servos

Hello
I have an Align 450 sport DFC which uses Align’s DS416M servos for the swashplate. I am just learning inverted flight and never actually wear out servos, unless damage from lawn cutting or asphalt polishing is considered normal wear and tear. So I’m looking for a cheaper alternative during this expensive part of the learning curve.
Hobby King suggested the TGY-9018MG as a close spec replacement. I have them, but they are not happy in the 450. They work just fine with the servo tester. They work the same as the Aligns with the servo tester. But in the 450 with the 3GXmr gyro they continually squeal and get hot. Any ideas?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17322
http://www.alignrcusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2888
thx mark
Markboyle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't think you need to spend tons of money for a good servo, but junk is junk is junk. The HobbyKing TGY-306G servos have amazing reviews. I just recently replaced my Savox servos due to dirty pots causing excessive servo jitter and I have been very please thus far. I just suffered a major crash (stripped all my heli gears (main, tail drive, and tail). One of the TGY-306G servos was hit so hard it somehow moved the "neutral" position. I removed the servo arm, recentered it and all is good!

You can find them at all the HobbyKing warehouses... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...earch=TGY-306G
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the turnigy servos you are running you probably need to lower the refresh rate, (not sure how this is done on the 3GXmr gyro) if the fbl is trying to drive the servo at a higher refresh rate than its designed for it can burn them out real quick.

Example I got a Go-tek 9257 clone which was listed as a digital servo and should be able to handle a 233mhz refresh rate, 50mhz is for analog. The Go-tek got really hot at 233mhz. Got to checking and found out it was only rated for 80mhz refresh rate. I ended up running it at 5.5v and 133mhz. If i had run it at 6v (max rated voltage) I probably could not have run the faster refresh rate.

OK so the turnigy 9018 you mentioned is an analog servo, your fbl will need to be set to analog or 50mhz for cyclic servos , if this is not possible then you will need to switch to digital servos.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea if those Turnigy 9018 are indeed analog servos- you positively can not use them with the 3GXmrs FBL unit. It doesn't have any settings for different servo types. Just what Align packed with the kit.

HobbyKing likely recommended those as a comparison in torque and speed to the Align servos that came with the kit.

But they failed you big time in recommending them if they are analog. You can't use them.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Turnigy 306 or kst215mg, basically same servo. Cheap, strong and fast.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default align servo replacement

Thanks for the information fellas. I bought new digital, metal gear versions from hobbyking and an iKon for 119$ if you want one look this week.
Markboyle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in