Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Recommended engine? O.S. 55 I presume?

Hi all,

Again, Nitro newbie here trying to gain some knowledge. I see alot of people running the O.S. 55 in the 600N. Found one for a good deal (at least I think):

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...icopter-Engine

Im looking at picking up a prebuilt 600LE with an Align 50 engine and am wondering if thatll suffice. Im really looking for ultimate power out of it with the most efficiency, so my research thusfar has guided me to an O.S. 55 with a Funtech B320 pipe. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are you at the 3D stage yet? If not, I wouldn't bother getting the 55 until you really NEED the power. Otherwise the 50 hyper is plenty.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 I just recently switched pipes due to a bad crash. I'd still be running the stock pipe if it wasn't for a great deal on an Outrage pipe. I really noticed a big performance boost. The original setup runs very - very well. The Os55 is the boost where you want unboggable power in almost any maneuver. The 55 is a great engine also, from what I've seen of it in action.
Futaba 8FG - Bls251 - 8900G
UfcGuy39 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I have the OS-55 and B320 pipe. Running Outrage Formula 30%, Mid needle at 1 turn +1 click, High needle at 1 1/4 turns +1 click, and it doesn't bog unless I screw up or get really sloppy with the collective.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Never owned a OS 55 but am currently flying a YS 56 with Hatori in my 600N le FBL. After about the third gallon o f fuel this thing started making incredible power. Am running rich and temps around 200.
MXRACERX43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
I have the OS-55 and B320 pipe. Running Outrage Formula 30%, Mid needle at 1 turn +1 click, High needle at 1 1/4 turns +1 click, and it doesn't bog unless I screw up or get really sloppy with the collective.
Glad you chimed in, I was following your thread on your B320 pipe install and thats what got me thinking.

I do want extra power as I dont want to be limited. I just recently started doing tictocs and will be performing loops and rolls along with inverted flight shortly. I hope to be doing some tough 3D in the next year so I dont want to be limited power wise.

Does that OS 55 Amain sells (link in forst post) seem like a good deal? Anything else I need to pull the Align 50 engine out and put the OS 55 in (along with the B320 pipe)?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Grade View Post
Glad you chimed in, I was following your thread on your B320 pipe install and thats what got me thinking.

I do want extra power as I dont want to be limited. I just recently started doing tictocs and will be performing loops and rolls along with inverted flight shortly. I hope to be doing some tough 3D in the next year so I dont want to be limited power wise.

Does that OS 55 Amain sells (link in forst post) seem like a good deal? Anything else I need to pull the Align 50 engine out and put the OS 55 in (along with the B320 pipe)?
You wont be limited with os 50 hyper, i'm sure you can do all tricks, u'll hear some bogging if ur banging hard but its so little of bogging. Os 50 hyper is a hyper engine now they have the hot rod engine os 55. Os 50 hyper is enough to do all the tricks on the book! Especially on a flybarless heli, u'll gain 30 percent more power something like that. Who said os 50 hyper is limited, with a good pipe and bad ass carbon fiber blades, you probably wont notice the bog to much. People at my club think i have a hot rod engine, i tell them eh it just the skills of the person and its up to the way the helicopter is setup. Even though os 50 hyper was made for 3d. Os had a os 50 sx and engine is actually not to good as os 50 hyper, bigger carb, better heatsink makes a world difference. Sorry i just cut my finger i cant type for now lol.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

lol, well that looked to be pretty damn good typing to me. So the 50 hyper that Align offers with the 600N isnt that bad? How much power would actually be gained by switching the 50 Hyper out for the OS 55? Is it even worth the trouble?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go a Ys 50 or Ys 56... I've flown a flybarless 600 on an os 55 and I'm almost convinced that my Ys 50 is putting out the same power on my flybared 600... If you want top of the crop power and reliability get a ys, nuff said...
B EXTREME is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by B EXTREME View Post
Go a Ys 50 or Ys 56... I've flown a flybarless 600 on an os 55 and I'm almost convinced that my Ys 50 is putting out the same power on my flybared 600... If you want top of the crop power and reliability get a ys, nuff said...
Whats the length of flight on a trex 600 tanks? Serously i did three gallons of fuel through my os 50 hyper, and it have gob of power and i get around 10 min of 3d flight? How about bigger engine with included trex 600 tank? Oh and my piston is so shiny it doesn't look like if i ran three gallon of 30 percent nitro.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I thought OS's typically have the power advantage over YS's? At least thats what I was told.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm getting about six and a half minutes of flying time on the ys with the headspeed up over 2100. After a year of running (atleast 250 flights) on 30% I finally replaced the motor bearings, they were worn but definitely could still be used, even the inside of the cylinder still had the crosshatching clearly visible. Temps have never gone over 80 degrees celcius with this motor...

what headspeed are you running to get 10 min of 3d flight? are you running a header tank?

cheers, Ben
Old 07-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Grade View Post
I thought OS's typically have the power advantage over YS's? At least thats what I was told.
If you're comparing the power of YS and OS in general than you'll find that it depends on the gear ratios of the drive train (which ofcourse is specific to a certain heli), what pipe you're running and engine tuning etc. YS engines in general make most of their power at a lower rpm compared to OS engines, this is why you see different gearing options on higher end helis. For me anyway I've found that the YS 50 on a hatori 522 in a trex 600 is making more power than the OS engines in the same heli.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If you're comparing the power of YS and OS in general than you'll find that it depends on the gear ratios of the drive train (which ofcourse is specific to a certain heli), what pipe you're running and engine tuning etc. YS engines in general make most of their power at a lower rpm compared to OS engines, this is why you see different gearing options on higher end helis. For me anyway I've found that the YS 50 on a hatori 522 in a trex 600 is making more power than the OS engines in the same heli.
u mean compare to os 50 not comparing os 55 right? Yea its true depend on pipe you have, my engine is providing power that i actually was surprise on, i thought i was gonna get lower power with the align muffler, maybe i'm lucky? I get plenty of power, no need to swap engline but i might pull a wicked clown and get a more powerful engine for just having a erge of having a powerful engine, isn't it should be a sin? Reaston i have plenty of power enough for any trick on 3d book, secret is take care of you're engine, for 3 gallon of cool power heli 30 percent fuel, i ran rich, it still rich and all the smoke wow and the punch out is very good infact its bad ass and i can even add more pitch and lean the engine out. I'm a mexican poor guy i wont do that i take care everything i have.

But a ys 50 compare to os 55 man i dunno i dubt it would have more power unless if you modified. I think os 55 is more powerful then a ys 50. Now the ys 56 hell, i'm drolling.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm getting about six and a half minutes of flying time on the ys with the headspeed up over 2100. After a year of running (atleast 250 flights) on 30% I finally replaced the motor bearings, they were worn but definitely could still be used, even the inside of the cylinder still had the crosshatching clearly visible. Temps have never gone over 80 degrees celcius with this motor...

what headspeed are you running to get 10 min of 3d flight? are you running a header tank?

cheers, Ben
Really i don't know i'm goning to tach it soon, well i'll tach it when i have my governor installed on my heli then i'll tach it since its mandatory when it comes to align piece of crap governor. We all should tach to find out if that 50-60 dollars governor from align governor.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What govenor do you guys recommend other than the Align? Whats the Align govenors downfall?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in