Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6S LiPo advice - Bad cell

So far all the batteries I have ever bought have been good from the start, however just received today a new Gens Ace 6S 45c 4400, all cells were howing 3.8v except for cell 2 at 1.9v.

I.R for all the cells are about the same 2.5 mohm

Would you reject this from the go or try and and charge it?
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Verify the reading. Complain to the vendor. Do not accept a Lipo with a cell that is below ~3.75v or that has significant differences in cell voltages, usually below 3.8v for the lowest cell.
It's worth remembering that getting an accurate reading within .01v is not always easy. As a result, most readings made are usable because they are "relative".
When I really need an accurate reading, a 6-1/2 digit .003% lab DMM is used. It even has a plug in accessory scanner that can be used to measure multiple cells in quick succession while the battery is being charged or discharged. Measuring higher current accurately would require use of an external temperature compensated shunt that I don't have.
CharlieK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks

I did ring the shop, they agreed to send me a new one without any fuss.

This is the first time I have had a battery from new like this, with one cell well below the normal storage voltage. Wasn't sure if this sometimes happens and the normal pratice was to charge/discharge it say 4 or 5 times, then all will be ok.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If a cell was as low as 1.9V then you wont be able to charge it. The charger would see it as a bad vcell and give you an error.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

That is a very good point and was expecting that. I have a PL8, it clearly showed the cell 2 at 1.9v at the start AND did allow me to start charging. Eventaully after about 2 hours the cell did get upto 3.8v with the other 5 on constant 99% bypass. It was at that point I decided do I really want to risk my heli with this!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think many will allow it to charge, but only at a very low rate until it gets above 3.0 volts for that cell.
EjectEjectEject is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in