Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brushless advice for Horizon BL conversion

Hi Guys,

I just burned out my second main motor and looking at a BL conversion. I would like to do the OEM conversion And do a lynx stretch on the tail.

Will this be worth wile or will i just be waisting my time?

Thanks in advance.

QF-Servo | Lynx/OXY Heli & FPV field rep
Theunisjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Brushless motors are always better than non serviceable brushed motors my friend.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The HH brushless upgrade will give you a bit more power and longer motor life...

But you'll want to do something with the stock tail too...or you're going to have some serious tail blowout problems...unless you back the pitch travel way down...

The ideal solution is a 7mm diameter tail motor to replace the stock 6mm, so you'll need a new motor mount...I'd suggest an extended tail boom too, the normal extended length being 125mm
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wasn't too impressed with it. The wires have about 3 strands and break if you look at them wrong, had random midflight seizures usually at the worst possible time and seemed to lose some snap after a couple weeks of flying. Midflight seizures continued for a while after i went back to brushed motors but corrected itself and wrks perfectly. Broke my current brushed motor in at 1/3 throttle for 2-3mins before i installed it, had well over 100 prob closer to 200 flights and still going strong
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My tail held fine with the HH bl upgrade till i got a new tail motor. Had to fly it quite a few times before it settled in. Probably should have broken it in as well. The extra power is nice but you can buy 7, 45c lipos for the price of a bl upgrade and they give you a very nice boost.
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

As in all things, the HH brushless upgrade opinions do vary depending on who you listen to...

Until I got the settings worked out, I was slightly skeptical Myself...

Then again...12 of My 14 nCPX's have the HH Brushless main motor w/7mm tails and no issues
Old 05-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not terrible, it's cheap, very quick and easy to install and did seem to fly more crisp and precise than stock configuration. Been thinkin about getting an mcpx bl but I might give another bl upgrade a try on my nano instead, just in case i got a bad one the first time. Still undecided on that atm..anyway if you do get one be xtra careful with the wires and it will lower flight time a little.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys, think i will get the HH brushless, and 7mm tail. And see how it goes.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Wasn't too impressed with it. The wires have about 3 strands and break if you look at them wrong, had random midflight seizures usually at the worst possible time and seemed to lose some snap after a couple weeks of flying. Midflight seizures continued for a while after i went back to brushed motors but corrected itself and wrks perfectly. Broke my current brushed motor in at 1/3 throttle for 2-3mins before i installed it, had well over 100 prob closer to 200 flights and still going strong
With those random seizures were you possibly using plugs instead of direct soldering?

Direct soldering seems to help remedy that but still every now and then I would get a shutdown like that for no apparent reason and
the Nano would drop on the only concrete around and break some brand new parts I had just installed.

I had the most power with decent 3 minute flight times with the Hyperion 1S 240 Mah lipos and a 16,500 KV Brushless motor, 125mm solid boom. My second batch of lipos was Glacier 1S 250 Mah and they were dirt cheap but don't seem to be available any longer. They were comparable in performance to the Hyperions.

When the Hyperion died though all 6 of them went almost right after the other and so did the Glaciers.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Eh...

I am seriously considering going back to brushed. Unless you are trying to 3D this thing a lot, the brushed should be plenty.

The issue of the heli randomly losing power and falling out of the sky is IMO a serious drawback. I've tried many remedies that shouldn't be necessary and still haven't resolved the issue.

If you are just flying circuits or learning CP I would say the conversion is not worth it. You can get a few brushed motors and new 45C batteries for the price of the BL kit. Plus the brushed flies for 4+ minutes. You are lucky to get 3 from the brushless. Two minutes if in idle up.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My first brushed motor last 70 flights and I never bought a second and I never bought a second one.

In the end I found the Nano not dependable enough to fool with personally. I can get 500 flights and do nearly nothing but oil my 450 Pro bearings.

It could be best just to stock up on some brushed motors.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
My first brushed motor last 70 flights and I never bought a second and I never bought a second one.

In the end I found the Nano not dependable enough to fool with personally. I can get 500 flights and do nearly nothing but oil my 450 Pro bearings.

It could be best just to stock up on some brushed motors.
But what if someone has to stick to the micro's? It's usually very windy where I live most of the time. I can take the Spawn and Angel into the lab and have plenty of room to fly the girls. I am on my 2nd brushed motor, and I can hear this thing starting to bind a little already after about 40 flights.

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaFan View Post
But what if someone has to stick to the micro's? It's usually very windy where I live most of the time. I can take the Spawn and Angel into the lab and have plenty of room to fly the girls. I am on my 2nd brushed motor, and I can hear this thing starting to bind a little already after about 40 flights.
You can keep them going if its your only option. You could try the HH brushless kit and some 200 mah lipos with an MCPX boom.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
You can keep them going if its your only option. You could try the HH brushless kit and some 200 mah lipos with an MCPX boom.
I've been thinking about the HH BL kit, mainly because my LHS can get this for me. I have been running E-flite 150 mah, and just got some new Lectron 180 mah. I really like how the Lectrons perform. They seem to be very steady, not peaky at first and then dwindling to nothing.
A mCPX boom will fit in the Nano? Very cool. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaFan View Post
I've been thinking about the HH BL kit, mainly because my LHS can get this for me. I have been running E-flite 150 mah, and just got some new Lectron 180 mah. I really like how the Lectrons perform. They seem to be very steady, not peaky at first and then dwindling to nothing.
A mCPX boom will fit in the Nano? Very cool. Thanks.
BLH3602
Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
BLH3602
Sweet.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luckily I am not limited to only fly inside at the moment, I use the nano as my "beater" bird before I try anything on my 180Cfx. Was thinking about maybe just getting a mcpx BL. And keep the nano brushed. Seeing as my Wife had so much fun at the club she also wants to try her hand at CP helis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in