Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default any futaba owners have issues with 0 pitch at midstick?

i set up my beast x, as per the manual, on the swash leveling step, everything is 90 with 0 pitch, but after the beast x initializes my midstick is -6 degrees does anyone else have that problem?

at midstick in the servo menu, my pitch channel is at 0 but i have -5 degrees, i have no subtrim, my travel is 100/100 my pitch trim is INH and my hover trim is INH....

im baffled...

also when i get to the cyclic geometry point, my blades dont start at 0 degrees, is that normal?
nick779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

No issue here.

Are you leveling at menu G while subtrim is active?
ziper_it is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do u have a futaba TX or futaba servos?

I have futaba 3156 as my cyclics and had a similar issue (using a dx8) and I had to redo step k like 4 times before it would be 0 at mid stick when all the other setups were perfect.
It was weird but finally worked.

Good luck!
Souskei is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you have a linear pitch curve when you set it up? Might want to check that...
AMA #976001
HELIS: TREX 500 (6s), Trex 600 ESP (12S) & Trex 550 (12S): ALL FBL
PLANKS: Hangar 9 Pulse 60, Alpha 40 & Great Planes Revolver
nieves50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Im using a linear pitch curve and 5065mgs

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

What about menu G? You should at least give one rudder input to get all three servos at neutral position before leveling swash and setting 0 pitch.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1.. menu G looks like it hasn't been done correctly.

First remove cyclic servo horns. Then power up and get to Menu G.... at this point put servo horns on as close to 90 as possible. Then using the procedure in the manual for Menu G make the individual horns perfectly 90. Then exit the setup menu and see if all your horns go to perfect 90. With the collective stick at midstick(motor unplugged).

After the servo horns are set for 90 then make sure your links are the correct length. Typically I measure according to manual and it should be correct. This should also help with your issue with the cyclic geometry step being off at the start.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

Have you disabled hover pitch and hover throttle in the radio?

Roll the LD and RD knobs and see if your pitch/throttle curves change, these mixes need to be inhibited.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Have you disabled hover pitch and hover throttle in the radio?

Roll the LD and RD knobs and see if your pitch/throttle curves change, these mixes need to be inhibited.
Both are inhibited, and I use a swash leveler for step g basically the same way you guys describe, it has to be the beast x, because my 8fgs pitch channel is at 0 midstick and on the pitch curve its dead center, I set 0 pitch on step g I believe with my servo horns all 90 and my swash leveled using minor adjustments for each of the 3 servos...
Is there a chance that when you set your collective limits I may have not had the stick fully down or up, and its messing with things? Should I have 0 pitch at midstick on that step too?
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Right now when you power up with stick at zero do the servos go to 90? Motor unplugged.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reset MB, at set up menu, hold the button for 10sec and the swash will jerk 3 times.

You have to redo everything, including receiver set up after you reset MB.
Blades_Cuts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

To be clear. You must exit Step G with a colored light on. When you finish centering the last servo don't push rudder again. Just exit to "H".

G.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades_Cuts View Post
Reset MB, at set up menu, hold the button for 10sec and the swash will jerk 3 times.

You have to redo everything, including receiver set up after you reset MB.
ive done that already

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyji View Post
To be clear. You must exit Step G with a colored light on. When you finish centering the last servo don't push rudder again. Just exit to "H".

G.
thats what i do... with the light on any color, my swash is level and my main blades are at 0 pitch, without touching the TX i hit the button on the mb,

does that set the 0 pitch on the tx? or does the step when you set max -/+ collective set midstick by taking the middle of the servo travel?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Midstick is set at menu G, that's why 0 pitch must be set at menu G. Menu K will let you set min and max pitch while keeping 0 pitch at mid stick.
Another way to check 0 pitch is entering param menu A (trim, remember not to move the ail/ele or you will trim and remember leaving the menu before spooling up).
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick779 View Post
also when i get to the cyclic geometry point, my blades dont start at 0 degrees, is that normal?
In my opinion this is the key to your issue. If your blades are not at zero when you enter set-up point J, then you have either done something wrong to this point, or it is faulty. The reason I say this is that at steps G and J in the MB set-up, your Tx values are irrelevant. The MB outputs its own known adjusted centre pulse value, which is 1520 uS when you go into G, and close to it as you leave G, which is what you find in J. This being the case this will be the value that it will send to your cyclic servos during set-up point G, in the reference position i.e. 1520.

When you then create the modified positions for each of the servos it now has a new centre value stored. For example these might be 1507, 1529, 1519. As soon as you leave G these values should be stored to the MB. Once you go to step J, the MB will output these stored values to the servos, so if you do not get 0 degrees at this point, having already had it at G, then either you didn't do it right, or the MB has somehow forgotten.

When I exit G, if I do it with a light on, the servos do not move, and they remain where they are, so it must still be zero at H and J. If you do this with your stick at zero, when you get to step I, your swash should shoot to the bottom, because step I responds to your stick inputs so you can set the motion correctly. When you go from I to J it should shoot back up again to the stored new centres created at G.

If I leave H with my stick accurately at mid stick, there is no swash movement as I go into I either, so it stays put all the way through.

Do this.

Go into set-up G, push rudder to the left, once, briefly check for 0, you should have it, you've already done it. Push Tx collective stick to mid stick, to ensure swash should not move, then exit G to go into H. Nothing should move. Now go from H to I, nothing should move (Might be a tiny twitch here, as it is difficult to put your Tx stick at exactly mid stick, but it should stay level. If it is exactly at mid stick, and it moves a lot, there is an issue here). Now exit I and go into J, nothing should move (except again, maybe a tiny twitch). If nothing does move (significantly), then you must still have zero on your blades at step J.

I know this is a bit of overkill, but I thought it couldn't hurt so I have just made a little poor quality video to show that nothing happens between G and J when you are at mid stick on the Tx, unless there is something wrong. Will have to wait for it to cook on youtube I guess.

Let us know what happens with yours.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziper_it View Post
Midstick is set at menu G, that's why 0 pitch must be set at menu G. Menu K will let you set min and max pitch while keeping 0 pitch at mid stick.
Another way to check 0 pitch is entering param menu A (trim, remember not to move the ail/ele or you will trim and remember leaving the menu before spooling up).

ill try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
In my opinion this is the key to your issue. If your blades are not at zero when you enter set-up point J, then you have either done something wrong to this point, or it is faulty. The reason I say this is that at steps G and J in the MB set-up, your Tx values are irrelevant. The MB outputs its own known adjusted centre pulse value, which is 1520 uS when you go into G, and close to it as you leave G, which is what you find in J. This being the case this will be the value that it will send to your cyclic servos during set-up point G, in the reference position i.e. 1520.

When you then create the modified positions for each of the servos it now has a new centre value stored. For example these might be 1507, 1529, 1519. As soon as you leave G these values should be stored to the MB. Once you go to step J, the MB will output these stored values to the servos, so if you do not get 0 degrees at this point, having already had it at G, then either you didn't do it right, or the MB has somehow forgotten.

When I exit G, if I do it with a light on, the servos do not move, and they remain where they are, so it must still be zero at H and J. If you do this with your stick at zero, when you get to step I, your swash should shoot to the bottom, because step I responds to your stick inputs so you can set the motion correctly. When you go from I to J it should shoot back up again to the stored new centres created at G.

If I leave H with my stick accurately at mid stick, there is no swash movement as I go into I either, so it stays put all the way through.

Do this.

Go into set-up G, push rudder to the left, once, briefly check for 0, you should have it, you've already done it. Push Tx collective stick to mid stick, to ensure swash should not move, then exit G to go into H. Nothing should move. Now go from H to I, nothing should move (Might be a tiny twitch here, as it is difficult to put your Tx stick at exactly mid stick, but it should stay level. If it is exactly at mid stick, and it moves a lot, there is an issue here). Now exit I and go into J, nothing should move (except again, maybe a tiny twitch). If nothing does move (significantly), then you must still have zero on your blades at step J.

I know this is a bit of overkill, but I thought it couldn't hurt so I have just made a little poor quality video to show that nothing happens between G and J when you are at mid stick on the Tx, unless there is something wrong. Will have to wait for it to cook on youtube I guess.

Let us know what happens with yours.

Cheers

Sutty
Sutty thank you so much for the step by step, im just trying to narrow everything down and ill report back tomorrow...

and that video might have been overkill, but it just kept me from asking another question lol...

and i thought setting up a FBL machine would be easy lmao... it is my first kit though...

Last edited by nick779; 12-05-2011 at 10:18 PM..
Old 12-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just a suggestion but first a few questions, did you set up this model in the radio from a blank model?

Or was it a previous model or one that you copied over that you just felt like you had changed over everything right?

As far as my suggestion is, can you put this Tx and this model on any simulators you might have?

Being as it is setup for a no mixing now you should be able to do this and then maybe you could double check that your Tx is sending all the right neutral points or if it might be sending something you just haven't found yet.

Would be a nice way to confirm 100% you are not getting something wrong from the Tx.
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wouldn't completely rule out Tx issues, but my point about G and J still stands. Servo positions output at G are created by the MB, and modfied by you at step G and are then stored. These modified positions are again output by the MB at step J, before you start adjusting in J, so if you are no longer getting 0 degrees when you enter J, when you had it in the modified positions at G, then, in my opinion, there is something wrong prior to considering issues with your Tx. I would examine this area first, and ensure that you get the same values/positions at both modified G and at unmodified J.

If of course you do get the same at G and J, in the same way that I did in the video, then of course you must look elsewhere.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well i just finished my beast setup, ended up moving back to the 2nd hole on my hs5065s
i have +/- 14 collective and 14 cyclic, but my midstick is a hair over +1 degree... which bothers me, but i really dont care right now, its one degree and i just want to maiden the heli

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in