Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Anyone seeing any wear?

Even with the crazy Norwegian weather doing it's rain and blizzard thing for most of the weeks, I'm racking up 30 flights on my Goblin, and it's my favoritt helicopter now by fare. I figure there must be quit a few guys out there now with 100+ flights on their helicopers by now. How are they looking as fare as maintenance goes? My tail belt needs adjustments now, and the canopy has some wear around the canopy mounting holes. Aside from that everything is still is pristine conditions, if anything I wish the links would wear in more as some are still quite thight. No signs of wear on belts yet, but with only 30 flights I'd be disapointed if they did.

So, how many flights do you have on yours, and anything showing signs of wear?
felborn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

FYI - If you hit 100+ flights the recommendation from SAB is to replace the belts, etc. I have a spare motor belt, but I don't thing the tail belt is available yet? Hopefully soon.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

After about 10 flights, I noticed that my tail belt had become quite loose. I checked the tail rotor assembly, and it was still tightly attached to the boom, so I don't think it slid forward. It was a scorching hot day, whereas I set up the belt tension on a cool day, indoors in the AC. What was your experience with the belt, was it a one-time breaking-in adjustment, or something you have to tweak depending on the weather and such?

Cris
Ci+izen #012
SynergyAero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Felborn……………….i am living in Norway too..in the west side(ÅLESUND)…much rain….i finished building my goblin for 2 weeks ago and I did maiden flight and 2 more flights….everything went ok…but I wish I could test my goblin more and I am very excited about how the parts going to hold after(for example) 50 flights. I fly logo600 3D and this heli is my favourite but after building and flying goblin, I think logo will have a rest a few weeks…only few weeks..i promise JJJ
LOGO800 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have around 60 to 70 flights on it and the pinion teeth are razor sharp now. Looks as it would fall apart soon.
Also there is way to much play meanwhile. Getting replacements now. Belts seem to be ok yet.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilavarga View Post
I have around 60 to 70 flights on it and the pinion teeth are razor sharp now. Looks as it would fall apart soon.
Also there is way to much play meanwhile. Getting replacements now. Belts seem to be ok yet.
Did you follow SABs instructions regarding WD40 on the main gear for the first few flights?

Someone else reported excessive wear of those gears after using grease instead as it mixed with the material ground off the gear to form an abrasive.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is going to be interesting to see if others have a similar experience.
The main gear appears to be a very robust composite material. The pinion is beautifully machined but doesn't appear to be hard anodized. It is not a soft aluminum though, maybe 7075?
Typically you would see a pinion made of a harder material than the driven gear as it gets proportionally more duty cycle.

A note on the "wear in" comments from everyone and as the poster above mentions. Be sure to clean your gears after the initial few flights. Regardless of what lubricant or fluid of choice used, the grit and sediment will form a slurry or paste that will be very abrasive. This really needs to be cleaned off all the teeth of the main gear and then it is up to you if you want to use any lubricant or not.
I used an old toothbrush I keep in the toolbox along with some brake cleaner.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used triflow grease and pulled the main gear out after 4 flights and cleaned it as there was a paste building up in it and it was already smooth running. The gear is very different material to what is used in the Logo for example, on it I use the Triflow grease and it does not accelerate the wear but I am running the Goblin dry now.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
I used triflow grease and pulled the main gear out after 4 flights and cleaned it as there was a paste building up in it and it was already smooth running. The gear is very different material to what is used in the Logo for example, on it I use the Triflow grease and it does not accelerate the wear but I am running the Goblin dry now.

//Dennis.
The Goblin main gear is designed to wear in (mesh starts off very tight and loosens over the first few flights) so the residue is a by-product of that. It definitely needs to be cleaned out.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

so whats the general consences after the intial 2 or 3 flights?

My understanding is you dont lube for initial 2 or 3 flights, then clean and use only CRC or WD40 thereafter....
AllanHat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Did you follow SABs instructions regarding WD40 on the main gear for the first few flights?

Someone else reported excessive wear of those gears after using grease instead as it mixed with the material ground off the gear to form an abrasive.
In fact I followed SABs instructions for the break in time. But it took me almost 20 flights to get it run well. And that WD40 made a mess I tell you. So I cleaned my gears with an electric toothbrush 3 times up till now and yes I used little syntetic grease after I cleaned it. You guys think thats no good?
attilavarga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilavarga View Post
In fact I followed SABs instructions for the break in time. But it took me almost 20 flights to get it run well. And that WD40 made a mess I tell you. So I cleaned my gears with an electric toothbrush 3 times up till now and yes I used little syntetic grease after I cleaned it. You guys think thats no good?
they specifically said nothing byt WD40 for the break in.. however that shouldn't be anywhere near 20 flights.. 5-10 max for sure.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used WD40 to clean off the paste from the Triflow grease while I had the gear out, it had dried out well before I flew. In the 6 flights since there has been very little dust or powder coming off the gear, it looks pretty good.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Digging up this thread again, had my flight #172 today and it's still going strong with very little wear to show. I'm on my second pully, and I replaced the tail belt after a crash 50 flights ago, but thats it for me. I figure I will change the thrust bearings and dampeners at 200 flights, but even the links seems to have no slop or wear. i must say I'm very impressed with the way it's holding up. The one that that worries me is the pinion wear. i dont mind replacing a 10$ pully every 100 flights, but after using compressed air to clean it, I did notice a fair amount of dust comming from the motor. I'm somewhat worried the aluminum dust from the pinion is getting into the motor and causing exsesiv wear on the motor.

- Lynx Team Pilot -
Old 06-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
BD Forum Support

I'm at #120 at the moment and I can tell I hate the pinion wear. It lasts around 40 flights no matter whatever I do. WD40, TriFlow, nothing,... It's just wrong material!

I also think it's definitelly not the best think for my precious motor. I would have to take it apart and clean it all. It's full of black dust with aluminium! Steel pinion is comming and I think this will be the last think to have 100% heli.
popokatepetl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by popokatepetl View Post
I'm at #120 at the moment and I can tell I hate the pinion wear. It lasts around 40 flights no matter whatever I do. WD40, TriFlow, nothing,... It's just wrong material!

I also think it's definitelly not the best think for my precious motor. I would have to take it apart and clean it all. It's full of black dust with aluminium! Steel pinion is comming and I think this will be the last think to have 100% heli.
OMG after reading this I looked inside the motor and yes the coils are dirty with lots of the black dust from gear and pinion. Probably I'll just ground this thing and wait till the steel pinion comes out. What's the best way to clean the motor?
geekindenial is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekindenial View Post
OMG after reading this I looked inside the motor and yes the coils are dirty with lots of the black dust from gear and pinion. Probably I'll just ground this thing and wait till the steel pinion comes out. What's the best way to clean the motor?
I used compressed air, did clean out alot of black dust. We need a small splatterscreen to avoid that crap from getting into the motor. I guess I should pull it apart and check everything over, I would not be surprised if that aluminum dust can have caused extra wear.

- Lynx Team Pilot -
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by felborn View Post
I used compressed air, did clean out alot of black dust. We need a small splatterscreen to avoid that crap from getting into the motor. I guess I should pull it apart and check everything over, I would not be surprised if that aluminum dust can have caused extra wear.
The motor will suck it in, not too much you can do about that, a steel pinion is the most sensible fix.

Air is probably the best way to clean the motor, you can buy cans of "air" cleaner if you need to (its not really air, but close enough).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in