Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The slow death of my 450L 6s ESC

For the last 20 flights it was taking 20 seconds to get up to full speed once in a while. Like the soft start was working all the way up to 90 percent throttle. Started doing it every time, then yesterday it wouldn't turn on at all. About 175 flights on it, came down barely warm every flight.

Could have died early from running it at 70 percent throttle the first half of its life while I learned? Not sure, but just picked up a CC edge lite 50.

Just a heads up to anyone else that has it happen. Stoked it didn't die in the air, just spent over 200 on a bad crash and 3 new packs last weekend.
BP58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm at 587 flights on my Dominator and all at 60% - 70% throttle curves at about 6min flights and my esc is still as strong as day 1
Old 10-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the backing of the low throttle, you can read it doesn't work well all you want but it performed great. It's great to have twice the air time by scrolling your tx.

The bec wasn't putting out power and the start up tones could barely be heard......
Oh well, it's Castleized now.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP58 View Post
Thanks for the backing of the low throttle, you can read it doesn't work well all you want but it performed great. It's great to have twice the air time by scrolling your tx.

The bec wasn't putting out power and the start up tones could barely be heard......
I have a castle 50 waiting on the bench tho, cause I use to be worried it would crap out eventually from running low throttles. I guess that's what I get for taking others opinions on esc life expectancy lol.

I use to even play around with 50 percent throttles which are fun too.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got a couple Traxxas brushless rc trucks that have a beginner mode on the stock esc. You can't get it to go more than 1/2 speed. Been great for the kids and wife. Yes it does get a little warmer so I got the theory before I got into heli's. I've also got a truck with a 4s Castle set up that will go over 70mph. You think I run that at 90 to 100% all the time. Yea right.

The CC lite 50 makes a cool jet whistle noise when it starts the motor, so you have that to look forward to.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP58 View Post

Make sure you aren't touching your motor when the startup tones chime. The motor is making the sound, so if you are touching it then the sounds will be muffled.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhelipilot View Post
I have a castle 50 waiting on the bench tho, cause I use to be worried it would crap out eventually from running low throttles. I guess that's what I get for taking others opinions on esc life expectancy lol.

I use to even play around with 50 percent throttles which are fun too.
Throttle curves can vary tremendously. There is no one set percentage that it is bad to go under.

I can run a 17 percent TC curve on my goblin 500 with jive 100lv all day long and it does it happily. It all just boils down to equipment and setup.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Hehe low throttle won't damage the esc. I run my 450L at 30-35% flat throttle and have hundreds of flights on it.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhelipilot View Post
I'm at 587 flights on my Dominator and all at 60% - 70% throttle curves at about 6min flights and my esc is still as strong as day 1
What kind of head speed and setup do you have with that if you don't mind ?
Slant gears/ pinoin. 6s ? And size ?
6 minute flight time is nice .
dogtooth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Stock setup except I tossed the 3gx and used a BX. I think the stock pinion is about 11t. I never calculated or tached the HS and I really don't care what the number is, but it sounds like 2200ish. I get about 7min of technical 3D, if you sport fly it you can probably get 10min.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisBladeWorks View Post
Make sure you aren't touching your motor when the startup tones chime. The motor is making the sound, so if you are touching it then the sounds will be muffled.

Doesn't apply, with out touching the motor the tones were very faint and only made a couple tones instead of the 10 seconds of them. The Bec wasn't putting out voltage, so the FBL controller wouldn't turn on. That's why I say it's kaput and got a new one.

I was getting 7 min flights with a 6s 1250, and a 10t pinion. 65% throttle slow flips and cruising around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in