Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Setting TVC

I had read that setting the voltage cut off to less that 4.2 would increase life a lot.

"Maximum Charge Voltage and Current

A 3.7 volt RC LiPo battery cell is 100% charged when it reaches 4.2 volts. Charging it past that will shorten life substantially. In fact, the cell phone industry did a study looking at the effect of LiPo fully charged voltages in relation to cycle life. These tests were done under ideal laboratory conditions and of course the 80% depth of discharge rule was obeyed! Here are the results:

Charge to 4.1V gave over 2000 cycles.
Charge to 4.2V gave about 500 cycles.
Charge to 4.3V gave under 100 cycles.
Charge to 4.4V gave less than 5 cycles."

So I set mine to 4.18 which is as low as my charger will go. The charger was not storing that setting so I contacted support to see if they knew why it was not saving the settings.

The response was why are you not charging to 4.2 per cell and he had never heard of less giving more life.

Was the teck correct or was it just a way of no dealing with the changer not saving the setting.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by twjsb View Post
Charge to 4.1V gave over 2000 cycles.
Charge to 4.2V gave about 500 cycles.
Charge to 4.3V gave under 100 cycles.
Charge to 4.4V gave less than 5 cycles."
I think your data may have been taken from here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Very interesting read which lead me to the conclusion that loading up to 4.2V and discharging just down to 3.8V is a good compromise to get a reasonable good number of cycles on my batteries and also having a sensible capacity/weight ratio for good flight performance.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInAGarden View Post
I think your data may have been taken from here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Very interesting read which lead me to the conclusion that loading up to 4.2V and discharging just down to 3.8V is a good compromise to get a reasonable good number of cycles on my batteries and also having a sensible capacity/weight ratio for good flight performance.
My thought was that I could get 3000ma packs vs the stock 2200ma but only charge them to to a lower voltage. According to the data going from 4.2 to 4.1 will double life and only cut capacity by 14%. For only a few more dollars between the 2200 and 3000 I would get a 2500 pack(3000 x 86%) that will last twice as long as the 2200 pack charged to 4.2.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes that could work but the batteries will be more bulky an heavier. The added weight will cost more battery capacity because the motor needs more energy. Also your heli will not perform as good as it does with the smaller and lighter battery.

Maybe you should try that with just one battery or even better simply add the weight difference (from the specs) to you heli with some kind of dummy weight and see where that gets you.

Also the size of the battery can get you into problems. Make sure you'll still get the canopy on and that the center of gravity roughly stays where it should be (just a tad in front of the main rotor shaft).
Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
... According to the data going from 4.2 to 4.1 will double life and only cut capacity by 14%...
There is a reason after all for the Powerlab 8 charger mode called "Long life" that has a max charge per cell set at 4.1v.
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 01:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My thought was that I could get 3000ma packs vs the stock 2200ma but only charge them to to a lower voltage. According to the data going from 4.2 to 4.1 will double life and only cut capacity by 14%. For only a few more dollars between the 2200 and 3000 I would get a 2500 pack(3000 x 86%) that will last twice as long as the 2200 pack charged to 4.2.
I think, instead of getting a larger battery, you should be okay charing to 4.1 and draining to 3.7 instead of 4.2 to 3.8. Seems like a good compromise.
frankiexp2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in