Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default time to step up

OK been flying the 120sr for a few years now and enjoy the little heli a lot. Been thinking about stepping up to a collective pitch but......with all that are on the market how does one know which one would be the best bet? Me...looking for a decent quality, parts readily availiable, easiest to fly for a beginner with some experience, not interested in doing wild maneuvers just casual flying, need something that allows flight in light wind. Not looking to break the bank but not looking for junk either. Needs to be size of 120sr or larger. Have a DX6i radio so bind and fly is good. What experiences have others had starting out with cp helis? I know..asking a lot but need good info before making a purchase. Thanks in advance ......
airshot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya… I have been thinking the same…I want to learn mild 3D stunt.

Obvious choice for next step is to fly cp heli’s such as mcpx or nano cpx. But for me, DON’T want to go through the same curve learning 120 sr while continue spending $$ just to keep up the heli in good shape.

I am trying to find the cheapest alternative, and ..... leaning towards getting a nano qx. I’ve read reviews switching to an agility mode will be almost same or even difficult to fly than the mcpx or nano cpx.

Much cheaper to maintain than micro heli’s, you can fly indoors in SAFE mode, and switch to agility mode, do the flips and fast flying outside even in mild wind condition.
2005h4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nano CPX would be the best choice Airshot.
As you have been flying for a while you will not have much of a problem
moving to Nano. Then take a look at MCPX BL.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Isn't that CPX one of those dinky little heli's? Been doing some reading and for what the advertising is worth (not much) I have read some good reviews on the 180cfx. Some have claimed it is good for a first CP and some have claimed for experienced pilots only. Any input on that one or others like it?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

After about 12 hours flying a 120SR, I went straight to a Blade 450Xv2 without any difficulty.

I followed the advice in John Salt's eBooks: "Setup & Tips For Electric Collective Pitch RC Helicopters" and "Beginner's Guide To Flying RC Helicopters". He has some really mellow Tx throttle and pitch curve settings for beginners to use which REALLY tame and slow things down.

Before trying to fly the 450X, I spent a couple of months carefully going through familiarization, setup, and configuration. I also did a few hours of hover practice using Heli-X. While I was admittedly nervous, the maiden flight of my 450X turned out to be a complete non-event, probably because I so over-prepared and careful.

So after getting sick of struggling control the 120SR when flying outdoors with anything more than a whisper of a breeze... and having trouble just seeing the darn thing... the larger 450X is simply wonderful to fly. It's a much better experience in every way. My 120SR is now mostly relegated to occasional indoor-only hovering.
Gyropilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshot
Isn't that CPX one of those dinky little
heli's? Been doing some reading and
for what the advertising is worth (not
much) I have read some good
reviews on the 180cfx. Some have
claimed it is good for a first CP and
some have claimed for experienced
pilots only. Any input on that one or
others like it?
The advantage of the ncpx to the 180cfx is basically that you don't have to repair some parts every time you land on a surface harder than your model. The nano is almost indestructible if you fly it over grass.
The mcpx bl is nearly equal stable but it's a fact that it has much more power than the nano. But if you activate throttle hold before crashing it doesn't break often. Oh, and you cannot fly it indoor (ok if you have got a sports hall it's possible otherwise your furniture won't be very happy )
The cfx will break. It hasn't got the stability like a 1kg 450 class helicopter so it's much more nervous to control.

To get to a conclusion I think the ncpx is the best choice for learning CP without paying many repairs.

Alex (who tries not to use commas like in the German language )
Landorer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure I am ready to fork over the money for a 450 size heli at this time so......if the nano is the recommended starter then how does it fly outside in light wind? Being small how difficult is it to see? Ability to fly in light wind is one of my desires to go to a CP heli. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it helps at all I moved 'up' from the 120SR to an mCPX BL - it's quite a steep learning step, mainly because it doesn't correct itself the way the 120SR does when you centre the cyclic.

The transition has been relatively painless though (for me anyway, the bird's had a battering though) - if you're confident in flying your 120SR you should be fine with the mCPX. It's twitchy though, and it'll get away from you REALLY quickly if you make really big inputs to start with.

The one thing I'd say is that it's fragile - really fragile. You'll want to reinforce the canopy (there are threads hereabouts with hints on how to do that) and get yourself some spare skids

As for wind .... it's a light bird, so it gets blown around quite a bit. I can keep mine aloft and controlled under a light breeze, but much more than that and I struggle. That's as likely down to the skill (or lack thereof) of the pilot, as it is down to the aircraft though
loftrat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftrat
You'll want to reinforce the canopy
If you search for some really solid canopies, I can recommend the "Xtreme" canopies (e.g. this one: http://rc-hero.co.uk). I'm not able to break it

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshot
Being small how difficult is it to see?
I only have own experience with the mcpx bl but if you don't fly too far away it's no problem too see it. Of course the ncpx is a bit smaller but with a colorful (but not greenish ) canopy and maybe shrink tube on the tail boom it won't be difficult to see it and at the first few days you'll be happy if the nano remains on one spot

Last edited by Landorer; 03-22-2015 at 04:21 AM..
Landorer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

the 180 is for experienced fliers go for a nano or find a mcpx 2.
dcarboni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Airshot.
There is no real reason you could not go with MCPX-BL.
It's about the size of 120SR. But it's 10 times as powerful.

You can already fly. All you need is to calm down the BL as factory settings are for more experienced pilots.
I can send you settings and a few tips easy enough.

You will find the helicopter is not hard to fly. If you can bank turn 120SR you can bank turn this helicopter. It's just much faster and way more agile. The big thing will be holding it back so it does not get going real fast and out of control.

Your first few hovers will feel a bit funny until you get a feel for FBL, after that you will love the helicopter it's a blast to fly.

Check this out. It's quite breezy when I'm flying this BL.
Not the best video the cams are having trouble focusing as the heli is small and you see covers ground in a hurry.
Ron MCPX-BL (2 min 4 sec)

later Ron
Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a mcpx bl and it is completely different heli. I cannot hover like 120sr with factory recommend settings on dx6i.

The fact, cannot even get off the ground without crashing into something…..
Old 03-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that info Ron, I am not familiar with the MCPX-BL but I will certainly be doing some research on it. Any weak spots or negative thing to watch out for? Any needed upgrades before flying etc...
I am not familiar with a lot of these helis so that is why I have posted this....for helpful info so THANKS.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just did some looking and it appears to be the same size as the Nano....not sure what the difference is other than the mcpx-bl is a brushless version....still learning !!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshot View Post
Isn't that CPX one of those dinky little heli's? Been doing some reading and for what the advertising is worth (not much) I have read some good reviews on the 180cfx. Some have claimed it is good for a first CP and some have claimed for experienced pilots only. Any input on that one or others like it?
The nCPX is a great platform...but it has a major shortcoming...

The 3n1 board is a major malfunction...it will just suddenly quit binding for little or no reason on its own

Replacement cost will almost buy a new heli

The mCPX on the other hand, is rugged and more stable...and repair costs are about the same, its just not as fragile or subject to board damage or failure

The 180CFX is more for advanced pilots...that being said, it requires some tinkering experience because you will crash and you will tear up servos and gears...and for the novice flyer, repairs and the setup that follows can be a real pain
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I find MCPX BL to be an all around great helicopter. It's about 2 times the size of Nano and much beefier.

Never had any problems with binding. I have only flown mine stock. Out of the box.
The only thing I don't like is Low voltage cutoff. Just shuts the helicopter off boom. Rather than going low power so you could land, but all micros are like this so don't over fly the lipo.

Service note.
As with all my micro helicopters the first thing it will need is a good lube job. The main shaft bearings will need to come out, be cleaned and lubricated. Swash bearings and bushing, Motor bushings will also work much better once you give them a touch of silicone. Ball links need a dab of silicone so they work smooth with no binding.
Main gear and pinion also run much better with a dab of silicone.
Just keep it clean and out of the sand box.

Other than that it's the little helicopter that thinks it's a 450.
At 80% power it's a great CP trainer for hovering and flying circuits.
Once you can fly it. Bump it up to 100% power and it's a blast at the school yard. I stand on the 50 yard line and fly mine around the goal posts at ether end of the field up so high it's just a spot without any problem.

There are a few things that you need to know when it comes time to fly
but you will be ok. Most of us learned on fixed pitch, then went collective pitch fly bar less and we still have all of our fingers.

Give these a read and don't worry about it. I can send you very tame settings to get you started. Once you fly the helicopter this will all just be normal after a few flights and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Flying MCPX for Newbies
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=447286

Collective sensitivity
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=594796

Hovering for beginners
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...58#post5581658
Old 03-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow… Ron, per your setup, I can actually hover and able to control within limit. great feeling ....... It was little windy outside difficulty keeping the tail end in front of me, and I didn’t even attempt to fly and probably not for few weeks until I can nail down the orientations.

As u pointed out “limit stick movement” and “let the heli fly”. I have to kick the habit of big tx stick movement came from flying 120sr also….. stop banging the throttle stick down causing heli smahing onto the ground.

this is one tough heli compare to 120sr. I had many crashes and few hard crashes onto solid floor, but nothing broke except few places on canopy.

many thanks Ron.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just read the MCPX for newbies posting and that is the exact way I learned to fly my 120sr, small steps at a time until comfortable with that step before moving to the next step. I spent around 30 plus hours doing those exercises over and over. Yes it became boring at times, and on a few occasions I tried pushing ahead a little more but then it cost me parts after the crash because I was not ready. After about a month of serious practice I was comfortable advancing a little at a time and now.....I can fly it about anywhere as long as it is calm. Time to start thinking about starting over with a collective pitch.

Ron, any difference between the MCPX and the brushless version other than the brushless motors? Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2005h4
Glad your up flying!
Wish I could be there to see that look of terror / grin on your face!
You will find that the wind quits the last hour before dark in the evening. This is the time to go out and practice!

Cut a circle out of cardboard. A trash can lid works great as a template! And you will have a great takeoff and landing pad to toss out on the grass!
I made one out of old paneling and painted a big H on it so I know where to land.
Try and keep Sun at your back wind in your face!
The big one is give yourself time lots of time. Takeoff hover land.
1,000 times. Work the orientations and as I describe. Fly out a bit, back it up again and hover. In a few weeks you will be flying out doing bank turns flying around having a blast. Remember have fun.

Take a look at these guys. There is a lot of great information in them.
And they are all free.

120SR SETUP, SERVICE & FLYING LINKS FOR NEWBIES
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=496890

MCPX setup service and flying links for newbies
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=506789

NANO CPX SERVICE AND FLYING LINKS FOR NEWBIES
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=596574

airshot

MCPX BL is a little larger than V1 and V2 and is quite a bit beefier looking.
Power wise there is just no comparison. MCPX BL will out power V2 at 80% power. Crank it up to 100% and it's like afterburner power on a fighter. The helicopter is just crazy powerful when you want it to be but can be tamed right down.
Although V1 and 2 where a lot of fun this helicopter is just light years better in every way!

Flying wise it feels the same as V1, V2 and Nano only much faster when you let it go. 10 out of 10 helicopter and a great stepping stone to 450 class if you wanted to step into something like 450X or something larger down the road.
To tell you guys the truth I always warm up fly my Bl before flying larger helicopters
like this Hirobo Shuttle and it's big brother Sceadu 50 it gets me focused.

Ron-Hirobo Shuttle (4 min 59 sec)

Ron 50 size Hirobo Sceadu (1 min 38 sec)

Last edited by Imzzaudae; 03-25-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Old 03-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

today was the first day I was able to hover one complete battery without crash. this heli is amazing. the look, sound, blue light reflects through canopy, balance of the main blade spinning, and best of all, crash after crash I don't have to spend time fixing stuff. Many crashes but no vibration or wobble issues. The main blades are almost indistructable. Some hard crashes the main gear slipping but push back up with no problem. Tail is slightly waggle side to side but it really doesn't bother me. I dont even look at the 120sr anymore.

Airshot, u have to jump into cp heli asap. It is completely different than120sr. I ordered 4 more batteries today and I just cannot wait to fly again.

Ron's beginners setting really calm down the heli. With this setup I feel like it only takes few days of practice to fly like 120sr.

I will not look for any other heli's for awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in