Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiron View Post
What's the point of all that excercise if it does not really translate in anything useful on a big heli...

In my eyes, flying micros indoors is only useful for beginners to learn hovering tail-in.
Ok, I haven't quoted the entire post, but that's pretty much where they are useful. Sure, some folks just enjoy the sheer fun of a tiny model they can fly anywhere, but as a training tool micros are invaluable for the first steps, although I'd say that goes a long way beyond tail in.

When you are first learning your orientations, a micro is perfect for learning all the basics. Sure it won't teach you precision, but it teaches you all the core reflexes, which gives you a huge head start when you do move up and start to work on precision.

Micros are great for:
- Learning all 4 upright orientations
- Learning upright flight (forwards, backwards and sideways)
- Learning flips
- Learning all 4 inverted orientations
- Learning inverted flight (forwards, backwards and sideways)
- Learning upright piros (and piro travel)
- Learning inverted piros (and piro travel)

Once you have those down then the utility of the micro as a training tool drops off rapidly, but that's a pretty comprehensive set of core flying skills. If you're rusty at any of the above, or don't like sims, there's absolutely room to improve your reflexes with a micro, and you can learn the above skills much more cheaply and safely on a micro than any larger heli.

Of course, you don't have to use them, but when you consider the cost, fun factor, and the amount you can learn, I'd say they are almost essential for a beginner.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I apparently underestimated the amount of folks on here that have mastered piro travel.

My point with the original post may have been lost with the length of it. All I was saying is that even sloppy micros are useful as a training tool until a pirouetting travel path can be followed with precision. I'm not sure about most, but I personally can see errors better on a micro than the sim. That and personally I find them more fun. For me, they got boring flying them outside like a big heli. They got interesting again once I put some limitations in place.

If you don't think micros are fun, or you don't feel you are working towards fun by flying one, don't fly a micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailureToFly View Post
I personally can't see the sanity nor value in learning to fly in my bathroom whilst on the toilet or to fly a tape maze. JMHO.
My wife certainly agrees with you, and her opinion extends to the rest of the hobby as well.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying micros in a tight space is very good practice; 1) it adds the fear factor that I don’t get out of a sim. Your comfort level will tell you a lot about what you are really good at. 2) Forces me to fly to a position is space. Flying to a position in space with a micro requires quick corrections that brings out the dumb thumbs. Once you’ve found where the thumbs are dumb, you can fix them with practice.

But practice isn’t fun unless you believe it is helping. And most people don’t want to practice orientations after they’ve gotten “good enough”. Its only natural, because it’s really boring. But most people that want to progress will need to revisit them again and again and again.

For example even if you’ve nailed tail in inverted and upright nose in. Can you do an aileron roll between the two orientations, stop and correct in each orientation? And then roll the other way. It’s harder than you’d think in a confined space. Your comfort level will tell you a lot about what you are really good at.
Lynx
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would go crazy if I didn't have my Nano and Mini CP to fly around the house in the winter. I love those guys; I think they're a blast to fly and for sure they've improved my skills (such as they are). It's a lot harder to fly the Nano around the house and not hit anything than it is to fly the 450 in a 6 acre field. I love to take them outside on calm (warm) days too and fly around the backyard or up and down the street. Little miracles of engineering.
Spektrum - DX20 / DX9 Black Editon
The Mechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in