Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Compass Atom vs T-Rex 500 Pro DFC

I have decided my next step up would be to a 500 class heli and have narrowed my choice to these two. I will be using an AR7200BX FBL controller as I am already familiar on how to set these up. The plan is to do sports flying, mild 3D (loops, rolls, inverted) with this machine while getting more aggressive with my 450's. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Compass Atom, FBL w/beastx & Futaba, and have had a Trex 500 FB (TT tail). No comparison. Atom: beefy, built like a tank. I had no real issues with the way the Trex flew, but it was just flimsy in comparison.

I've crashed my Trex 450 into a wall and replaced main blades and flybar.

I dropped the Trex 500 onto the floor in the most minor way you can imagine, eeerrrmm, main blades, flybar, popped all three cyclic servos and bent the boom...

And another thing, I don't like the Trex gyros. The 450 has a CSM smart lock and its lovely to fly. The 500 had a 780 gyro that I never really got set up properly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Trex at all. I have a Beam 450 and an old Trex 450 and while the Beam is much better mechanical quality I enjoy flying the Trex far more.

Go for the Compass Atom and see what you think.
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I have narrowed it down to the Compass myself. I like Align but I want to try another company. I played around with the idea of getting a either a Logo 500, Gaui X5 or the Compass Atom 500. It sure isn't an easy choice.
Oxy 3 (6s) MSH Brain -Compass Atom 500 (6) Beastx - Align Trex 450 Pro DFC (3s) GPro - Align Trex 250 DFC 3Gx - Compass Warp 360 (6s) Beastx - Compass Atom 5.5 (6s) Beastx - Compass 550 Ultimate (6s) Tracx FBL
heliphlier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Compass Atom 500 can be stretched to use 520mm blades I believe. It is sure built to handle them.

Dead heli's flying: Compass 7HVU, 6HVU, Atom 5.5
RIP Compass
electronjunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The compass is a also hell of a lot lighter.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Architect of Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocka_wocka View Post
I have a Compass Atom, FBL w/beastx & Futaba, and have had a Trex 500 FB (TT tail). No comparison. Atom: beefy, built like a tank. I had no real issues with the way the Trex flew, but it was just flimsy in comparison.

I dropped the Trex 500 onto the floor in the most minor way you can imagine, eeerrrmm, main blades, flybar, popped all three cyclic servos and bent the boom...

And another thing, I don't like the Trex gyros. The 450 has a CSM smart lock and its lovely to fly. The 500 had a 780 gyro that I never really got set up properly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Trex at all. I have a Beam 450 and an old Trex 450 and while the Beam is much better mechanical quality I enjoy flying the Trex far more.

To the OP:
While the above post may very well be a fair and accurate comparison between the Compass and a Trex 500 Esp, (in any of it's nine million versions), it really doesn't pertain to your original post.

The 500 Esp and the Efl Pro DFC are two completely different machines. Very few of the parts will even interchange. I've built both, tweaked both, flown, crashed and re-built both, and can tell you that the new machine is far superior. So, when looking at comparisons, make sure they are between the birds you are interested in.

The only input I am qualified to give you is on the Pro DFC. I am much happier with it than I was the Esp. So much so that I have no desire whatsoever in any other machine at this point.

If you fly at a club, what is flown there? Have you done research on parts availability and cost? Have you checked the subforums here to gauge the amount of support and frequency of posts?

I know of several who have the new Pro and love it, and I know only one who has the compass, but he swears by it, and from all indications, it's a well designed and solid flying machine.

If, after doing your research, you are still on the fence, flip a coin. By all accounts, and from what I have seen and read here on HF, you can't go wrong wih either.
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My atom 500 fell from approx 20 feet up. Lost power to a possibly bad esc bec.

Damage:
Main blades, links to blade grips, tail boom, canopy, front skid bracket, tail fin, one bearing in one of the blade grips.

Frame was completely intact, battery survived, main shaft and spindle perfectly fine.

Large crater in the ground, literally....

Approx $175 to repair, only due to the canopy, blades, and blade grip links being fairly expensive. Overall took a complete free fall quite well......
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun71 View Post
Approx $175 to repair, only due to the canopy, blades, and blade grip links being fairly expensive. Overall took a complete free fall quite well......
I can vouch for this, I was present at the time! He now has the industries' first 'induction' canopy.

... and I cratered mine only a few weeks prior ... other than bruised ego, the parts count was fairly low considering the crash. Rob was present at said cratering. LOL!

The Atom 500 is an absolute tank compared to other models in its class.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Another vote for the Atom 500!!!

aja1216 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja1216 View Post
Another vote for the Atom 500!
And another
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Atom, for something different
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my Atom.......

But I also loved my Trex 500.....

Get them both?
DrunkRabbit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I crashed my 5.5 hard (wish I had it on video it was really cool looking) and damage was probably the lowest out of any heli I've ever crashed. Main blades, boom, skids, grip arm, grip screw. Canopy is almost untouched.

To the person that said they were looking at the atom, x5, or logo. You might be interested in the 5.5 stretch. Only really 2 downsides to it, you have to run the compass/rotortech 515 blades, or run 470's, because the grips width is to small for other blades and it uses mini servos instead of full sized. But the mini ones work ok and I'm only running 510's. I think the JR's or MKS do fine.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied. I haven't made the decision yet as in my opinion both helis are excellent for my needs. The T-Rex has parts availability and nice looks going for it while the Atom appears to have simplicity and toughness going for it. I also like it's subdued style and the belt driven tail. Performance wise they probably are very similar as they weight almost the same based on the published specs.

I might actually get one first and then the other later... I think they will both be excellent additions to my growing stable of helis.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I was present at both Rob's and Jeff's crashes, but didn't actually see them. With my Trex next to their Atoms, there is no doubt which is beefier.

My advice is to consider where you do most of your shopping. If you have to start ordering online at somewhere special that you don't already order from on a regular basis, you may also want to take into account shipping costs.

For me, I fly with a Compass dealer so there are no shipping costs. The only reason I fly the Trex is because I already had it and is the oldest ship in my fleet. When it finally has an incident worthy of retiring it, I already know which way I'm going.
gothicbunny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocka_wocka View Post

the new 500EFL... amazing machine... so fast sharp, nimble and belts along... my favourite heli to fly at present.. but then again i have never flown a compass 500
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I decided to go with the Atom 500 for now although I might yet get the T-Rex 500 sometime in the future.

500 sized helis will probably be as big as I will go. I prefer to ride my bicycle to the nearby park carrying the helis with me. With the 500, I might need to get a bike trailer as the Atom 500 inside a case might be too big to sling at my back.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

As other said, the Compass is built like a tank, is very lightweight and very easy to wrench. I have the Atom 500 with the 5.5 stretch and an old Trex 500E converted to FBL. Now my 500E is collecting dust most of the time.

I can't say a word about the Trex 500 Pro, tough.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have an atom 500 and a trex 500 ESP. My vote goes to the atom... Flies amazing and is a very under rated Heli for how great it is!
Anthony440 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing I have noticed with the Align DFC heads is they cause allot more damage in a crash VS any Compass heli. With the solid CNC (arm that go from the grip to the swash) once they come loose they will hit the CNC auto rotation bracket bend it then bend the grip arm destroying it, then damage the grip were the arm bolts in to the grip. I have seen this time and time again with all the DFC heads it’s allot of unnecessary damage.

With the Compass at best you will break the derlin rods but that’s it. Also agree that with the Compass it will survive any type crash allot better then the T-500 will. So the Compass get’s my vote it’s a better 500 size heli option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in