Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Shoguninstien!

Ok here is my chopper! My first build! It will wind up being heavily modified, that's just the way i am. I like experimenting. I will post pics as i progress to the crash site. I'm gonna try to steer clear of that site. Any opinions, concerns, and advice are welcomed.
huntxtrm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

If you will notice, i mounted my gyro upside down. Will there be any issues with this? I mounted it this way to offer a little more protection from me. Also, i do have complete cnc gear coming for it. And I have been thinking of changing over to a Blade 400 CF frame? I know why build something and tear it back down, because i'm bored! And its cold outside!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking good. Gyro placement depends on the gyro as long as it's in spec for the gyro and it works it shouldn't matter. I do think it's just us on here given that prior to our posts it had been years since others were on here. I suspect unless some of them fall out of the woodwork it will just be you and I. As I said in the other post, KEEP YOUR THROTTLE DOWN if you have a brushless setup!

Tom
d2tw4all is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is brushless.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm probably pulling the ripcord on this project as I haven't heard from HobbyPeople and this is annoying me. I was at the local Hobby Store yesterday, and they have a couple of thunder tiger mini titan e325 ARF's that have been on the shelf for a couple years. That is a 450 sized bird. I chatted up one of the guys that works there and he said he thinks he can score me a deal on one since they are old stock, like $75. I'd just need an outrunner brushless motor and I can use all the electronics that are in the shogun and I'll be in a much newer platform than the shogun for $100 or so. Pretty sure that's the way I'm going to go. Loved the shogun, but hard to pass up on such a deal and the mini titan gets GREAT reviews...

Tom
Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang, you just got here? Im going to be all alone.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there a good forum on here, that can help explain all of these settings on my reciever? And how to adjust them? I have the book, but it is not as dumbed down as it needs to be for a beginner. Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure there is, just ask on one of the forums for the more current helis, like the blade 450 or mcpx, the settings are pretty much ubiquitous regardless of heli.

Tom
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been a while since we've heard any updates, what's the latest?

Tom
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

Pretty much all assembled. Just learning how to adjust everything on the chopper and the transmitter. Starting to figure some of it out. Setting up all the throttle curves and pitch curves kinda thowing me for a loop. Throttle hold had me screwed up for awhile. I had it on to keep the blades from turning. could not get pitch curves and throttle curves to adjust right. I would adjust one, and it would change the other two modes to match. Then i figured out, all i was adjusting was the trottle hold? I think i just need to unplug the motor, to adjust this stuff, and leave that throttle hold switch alone for know. I did get all of my cnc gear in! Not going to install it yet. going to learn the ins and outs of this thing first.. that way if i do accidently break something, it will be the stock stuff I break and not the good stuff. Unless I just get to where i just cant stand it anymore! Then it might go on! HaHa!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did get the full set up, cnc everything, Cabon fiber everything. Only thing i did not get was a Carbon fiber frame. Couldn't find one of those. Probably spent way to much on this chopper, but I'm havin a good time learnin with it. I'll build me a better one, once this is done. But this one will be pretty sweet, i think.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya you probably did spend too much given the older airframe and small size. I started building my new mini titan last night and it's SWEET. A bit bigger than the shogun but everything is SO much beefier and I can tell already it will be a lot smoother and dialed in since it's just that much bigger. Did get the parts this morning as I was leaving for work to repair the shogun, so I'll probably take a look at it this weekend if I have time (and can tear myself away from the mini titan project).

Definitely set the pitch with no motor connected. Other than pitch, when I bench test mine I just take the blades off and then you can spool up the motor etc and make sure everything is going the right way. Make sure your tail rotor blades go the correct direction as well, and that your gyro is set the right way. Test all that on the bench with no blades is my suggestion.

Tom
Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will do, thanks for the advice. I think i might build one of those exi450 chopper next. Ive seen mixed reviews? They say it is a clone of a Align450? you can get the complete carbon fiber kit with the full cnc goodies for like 70 bucks! sounds cheap enough, as long as the quality is descent.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

here are some pics of my settings. I will try and explain the best i can, how they are affecting my chopper. Tell me if it is wrong, or what i need to adjust. Please, pretty please! first up Throttle curve. If i go much higher than that, the motor is really winding up! Don't know how fast it's supposed to go, but man it's givin it hell! Should i adjust the throttle end point or something?

This is Throttle curve for ID2. If i try to get it up to the flat spot, it is turning some serious rpm's

I have some more pics of the pitch curves as well. I'll post them next.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is my pitch curve normal. Where it starts out is about right angle on my servo. or 0 degrees.

This is pitch curve for id2. 3d flight. it pitches to both the positive and negative.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pitch curves look ok, linear isn't always ideal for beginners but since it's for 3d you won't be doing that anytime soon. Throttle curve def looks like it terminates low, you need to measure your headspeed and get it right. Mine's around 56% max I think but every motor is different so depending on what you have in it I guess what you have could be ok. Just seems really low.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

What rpm should my head speed be? Fixin to throw on the bling! I can't take it anymore! Gotta see what it's gonna look like! Besides i got out of hand a little, it lifted slightly, hit a table leg, you can probably figure out the rest. Lesson learned? Maybe?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

DEAR LORD you are flying this inside? NOOOOOO do not do that!

Do yourself a favor. Go out and buy a Blade MSRx. OR if you really want to be fancy a Blade MCPx. You can get good deals right now on the version 1 of the mcpx. MSRx is fixed pitch but full function and ideal for indoor flying. 400 size is NOT a living room flyer!!!

Look back in the forums here, I believe there is plenty of info on RPM's, I don't know offhand I can usually tell by sound and behavior if it's too high or not.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in