Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quest and Kyosho

Quest and Kyosho Kyosho Caliber, Kyosho Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Concept 30DX starting

I'm getting an almost like new 30DX going. It runs fantastic as long as the igniter is on. I've only really idled. I did rev it up some and was able to take the igniter off. When I take the glow plug out, it's soaked. I didn't know what the initial settings were so I used 3 turns out on lsn and 2 on the hsn. The motor is a OS 32F. I believe the carb is a 3h.

To lean I turn clockwise right?
Mapoff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, Clockwise to lean. But if your just idling for extended periods of time that may tend to load up the glow plug. What fuel and plug are you running? 2 turns out on the hsn should not be overly rich.
CNCPRO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The glow plug has a bar over the end. I took one out of my nitro car that has a new plug without the bar and I can't even physically turn over the engine. When it hits the compression stroke I hear gurgling when I turn by hand.

The nitro is synthetic 20% colored blue. It sounds great while the igniter is on.

Also right now I've removed the tail shaft gear so the main won't turn at all while I mess with getting used to everything.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am pretty sure most run 30% in there helicopters man that is a old heli my father has one, he used to fly in the early 90s
sounds like you flooded the engine

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I'd say you flooded it. You'll have to remove the plug and close the throttle and blow the fuel out of it and try again. I think 3 turns on the LSN is too much. With 20% I would probably run an OS #7 plug and If you go up to 30% I'd use an OS #8. On a 32SX I'm running 30% with a #8 plug and my HSN is about 3 turns out, But obviously there are alot of variables here. Here's a link to the manual for you. That should help you out I hope. http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/22981000-manual.pdf
CNCPRO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I "messed" with the settings last night. I got it running without the igniter. The rpms were erratic on its own. When I started adjusting the HSN more and more things steadied out. I made some minor adjustments which started causing rough low speed finally leading to choke off. I need to do some more. I had it running rather great low and high with no stumble but I sought out better which is the enemy of good. I'll do some more adjusting to where its consistent and then I'll be adding the rotor into the equation.

I've never used throttle cut. Is that what is used to cut it off? I'm used to squeezing the inlet fuel hose on a car. On a heli I would think even if you are idling the clutch will just barely be spinning but with no power behind it.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any input? My head hold gyro hates the vibration from the nitro. Gain is down to 20%. I ditched the mechanical one.

While running it seemed to big down and finally cut off in air as if it was too lean and overheating but excess fuel is coming out of the muffler and half a tank only have me a little bit of flight time.

[ame]http://youtu.be/nJB4rEkkYyI[/ame]
Old 06-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not to bad, Kinda neat to see one of these old helis flying... your supposed to have smoke coming out of these don't run it to lean for sure, lil richer better for engine.
still say 30% fuel would run better, and if your still using your Car glow plug you should get the one ment for the heli

Not sure about the tail, it looked good, these things nere were perfectly still I never flew one but watched my dad fly for hours.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My fuel says 20% and I'm using the original plug. Did my tail look like it was wagging too much? To clarify you are saying your dads didn't wag at all? I know it flies really smooth the 2 hovers I did. The tail was twitching back and forth while the motor was running when the gain was up past 30%. I think I need some better isolation on the gyro. I definitely didn't want to try the mechanical one.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I know it says 20% just saying you really should get some 30% and oh that is good your using the stock plug... I had to re watch the video, i do see it wagging some but if you ask me that is not bad at all for such a old helicopter, its hard to believe its flying at all.

honestly its been 15 yrs since my father has flown one of his Concept 30's ( i was a tennager back then)
so what gryo are you using? you might need some better double sided tape to mount it to the heli or you might have to add a plate on top of the double sided tape then add another layer of double tape then put the gyro on top. I have done things like that before on even electric helis to help with vibrations.

Whole time you was hovering i kept thinking don't hit that trailer, get away from it, couple times looked close to it.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks a little lean no smoke or very little smoke. Ritchen up the high speed needle 1-2 clicks and try that. Also make sure your fuel has 20% oil minimum. It needs more oil to keep it cool as well. Note enough oil will burn up the engine
Team Powermaster VP Racing Fuels
Copterdoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I richend it exactly two clicks and was still struggling when I tried to gain some elevation. I went rich two more clicks and it was doing great. Really great and then just cut off. It seemed there was a very fine line between running rich and lean. I was having it cut off when I removed the igniter, and just a click or two the other way it was running great. I'm sure a seal could be gummed up.
Do I have to tweak the low speed needle along with the high? The high speed adjustments seemed to affect the low idling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in