Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default whiplash issues

my head does not spin freely when I just tried to spin it without power in other words the auto rotation is not working properly. It seems to coincide with the rotation of the motor half a rotation it is rough half rotation is smooth does anyone have any ideas? took my first flight and did not seem to change the issue. Was hoping that is needed to get worn in
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is also like that. When I spin the blade by hand sometimes the motor will turn But it flies fine.
benben is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure you oil the sprag. Mine did this at first, but after I oiled the sprag and put a few flights on it it went away and now is smooth.
HeathH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had this exact same issue and oiled the sprag but that did not fix it. At first I thought I might have had a bent motor shaft but after some more time studying the issue it turns out that it is caused by a misalignment between the sprag/sprag cup and pinion gear/lower pinion bearing. I removed and reinstalled the sprag after checking with a dial indicator and then fiddled with the lower pinion bearing block until the assembly is smooth all the way around.
Weez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had same issue. Redid the alignment between the sprag and pinion/pinion bearing block - fixed it.
Weez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Issues

Got 2 flights in but I think I need more time my flights are only 2 minutes with 2650 mah batteries. Seems to be a little better
Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine was a little tight, but after a couple of flights it loosened right up.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

2650 batts? Are you using them for testing?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
2650 batts? Are you using them for testing?
Yes they are from my modified 600 ESP which has been down for 3 months thanks to castle creations. My turnigy 5000mah 45/90c batteries came on monday. Thank god!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let us know how those Turnigy's fit. The batteries fit in mine, but can't get the battery leads in.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have the same issue. I also suspected the motor shaft was bent, but it's not. Fiddling with the lower bearing block did not help.
Brian from Min Air said this was acceptable for the first dew flights, but as I am still waiting for a few components to arrive, o can't verify that.
As for the Turnigy batteries, the nanotech 5Ah, 35-70c fits perfectly with some spare, and no issue with the wires.
Avi_Y is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default issues

my head is loosening up. it gets better every time. The turnigy nanotech 45/90 c 5000mah 6s batts fit great.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito169 View Post
my head is loosening up. it gets better every time.
Good to hear.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Took the motor out again, and reinstalled after cleaning the openings in the frames.
Works good now. Not as smooth as my 1005 yet, but I guess that's where some break-in is required...
Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another trick that seems to help is to make sure and tighten the set screws on the spray cup evenly a little bit at a time. It seems to be the inside of the pinion that's rubbing on the motor shaft causing it to bind. Once I did that method it made a huge difference. If I cranked them down once at a time then it will go right back to being rough and binding.
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Good news

Good to hear. Since I lost a tooth I have found it is the cup to sprag that is causing the issue. Earlier I was looking at more detailed photos of the x7 which made me feel better about buying the whiplash. The only thing I like better on the x7 is the beefy main gear(probably because I've already lost a tooth).
Old 12-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same issue.. I can not fix it... trying all your suggestion, but still running hard..
Choppersrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default re

I came across the same issue while building my Whiplash last weekend. The auto rotation bearing sticks. I tried loosening the motor mounts up and re tightening them to make sure the pinion was not binding. This seemed to help a little, but sometimes it will spin freely and sometimes it will spin the motor. I assume it will loosen up once the bearings have been run under a load and all the gears are broken in.

I am still waiting for my Kontronics 120HV ESC to arrive so I have not powered up the motor yet.

I also noticed that I had to do a lot of tweaking to the servos, servo spacers and ball links on the swash to get 90 degree geometry with my savox servos. On my other two MA’s they worked great with not additional work.
I am waiting on a set of M2.5x12 bolts to come in so I can add a servo shim to the elevator servo. the link to the swash is not strait at the moment. I was able to get my V-bar collective throws in range, but I want it to be perfect before it fly’s.

I was very impressed with my build, only had one part that I had an issue with. The brass sleeve on my tail pitch slide snapped off when I tried to loosen it up. I was checking all the assembled parts for lock tight and grease when I came across this issue. I applied a very small amount of pressure with an adjustable wrench and the brass collar snapped of about 3/8” into the treaded portion. I assume that it was a little too tight when it was put together at the factory and the extra stress broke it. Luckley for me I had purchased a spar for my parts collection already..

Plenty of room to mount all the electronics and run the wires. Looks very clean and well laid out.

This is a really big heli. It dwarfs my old Trex 700e. Whiplash is a fitting name...
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittb View Post
I came across the same issue while building my Whiplash last weekend. The auto rotation bearing sticks. I tried loosening the motor mounts up and re tightening them to make sure the pinion was not binding. This seemed to help a little, but sometimes it will spin freely and sometimes it will spin the motor. I assume it will loosen up once the bearings have been run under a load and all the gears are broken in.

I am still waiting for my Kontronics 120HV ESC to arrive so I have not powered up the motor yet.

I also noticed that I had to do a lot of tweaking to the servos, servo spacers and ball links on the swash to get 90 degree geometry with my savox servos. On my other two MA’s they worked great with not additional work.
I am waiting on a set of M2.5x12 bolts to come in so I can add a servo shim to the elevator servo. the link to the swash is not strait at the moment. I was able to get my V-bar collective throws in range, but I want it to be perfect before it fly’s.

I was very impressed with my build, only had one part that I had an issue with. The brass sleeve on my tail pitch slide snapped off when I tried to loosen it up. I was checking all the assembled parts for lock tight and grease when I came across this issue. I applied a very small amount of pressure with an adjustable wrench and the brass collar snapped of about 3/8” into the treaded portion. I assume that it was a little too tight when it was put together at the factory and the extra stress broke it. Luckley for me I had purchased a spar for my parts collection already..

Plenty of room to mount all the electronics and run the wires. Looks very clean and well laid out.

This is a really big heli. It dwarfs my old Trex 700e. Whiplash is a fitting name...
Pics,pics
kevinbj1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are talking about the main gear seeming to be pretty tight (thinking it's the auto hub being tight), this is a normal issue. Due to the "no mesh adjustent' mounting of the motor to the main gear, it can be very tight. Mine was this way, so bad that if you tried to swing the head with blades on on the bench, it would only go about a 1/4 turn. After calibrating and running up the ESC (easy to do without main gear installed or just leave it in) with the main gear in and head on, it will loosen right up. After the first flight, it's as free as can be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in