Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks for help with DIY 4blade tail

Just wanted to say thanks to the people involved in the past DIY 4 blade tail threads - Super-Hornet, BlackTitanium, FerretMaster and to KevinMc for guiding me to them. And anyone else involved with the threads.
Here are a couple I remembered to save in my favorites - https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...hlight=kevinmc
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t392402p1/

I used an Mcpx titanium main shaft I had and FerretMasters way of attaching the links to the slider to get the tail rotors closer together. I also put bushings from broken main blade roots inbetween the ball links and the slider to get the link more straight. I haven't tried it out yet but it all slides and changes pitch nicely. I'm sure the pitch will need to be adjusted on the links. It spins up great on a drill chuck .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 blade tail.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	329405  
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail shaft recommendations

Is the mcpx titanium shaft the best option or are there other recommendations for an extended tail?

T-REX 450, TREX 450 (MD530), TREX 600E, MCPX
OZ-TREX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not sure if it's the best, it's just what I had. In one of those links above Super-Hornet says a Honey Bee CP main shaft will work, I think any 3mm shaft or rod will work as long as it's at least 60mm long because you just glue the pulley on with red locktite. Keep in mind this is for a 450, not sure what other size helis use for tail shaft diameter (may be the same).

Last edited by Timtreo; 07-05-2012 at 11:38 AM..
Timtreo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice pic, thanks for making this more 'visual'...I like the way you got the two rotors close. Makes me want to build up one for my AH64 so I have the proper offset beween the blade pairs
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail rotor shaft material

On the subject of "...where do I get...." .

I found 3mm (true o.d.) shaft material at my local nut and bolt shop. At the time I needed it I lived in Washington St. and Tacoma Screw was my source. Came in a 3 ft stick and that will make a lot of 500 size cascade tails!....so no need to look locally yet here in Casa Grande AZ...my new retirement home! I would thing that just about any industrial nut and bolt dist. will have this stock.
Good move on the extended studs for the ball links to get the links straighter. This is needed if the rotor blades are equal spacing. I have been looking to do that on my next set, but on the AH-64 un-even blade spacing the set up with the short ball links on the shaft side of the link arm (on the outboard rotor set) is perfect and the links are perfectly straight in line.
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in