Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Bought a used 500GF, thoughts on needed upgrades?

Hi. I am new to CP helicopters. Having wanted to make the transition for years, I finally made the plunge and got a used t-rex 500 GF (flown 20 times), along with a 450 and a 450 sport for $600 with a Dx6i and lots of parts. I initially wanted a new 500E, but those are impossible to find in my corner of the world at the time.
How does it fly compared to a modern T-rex? What are some recommended upgrades I should make? I want to convert it to a FBL eventually, since there's constant winds on my island. A bailout function like the ikon would probably be wise as well.
Since it's such an old model, I've had problems finding much info on it.
How is the compatibility with the newer models parts-wise?
I realize I should have done this research before buying it, but I am recovering from surgery and summer came early this year, so I needed something RTF to keep me from losing my mind stuck at the house.
Any help will be much appreciated!
HindandSeek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 500GF flyes very well, its compatible with all 500 ESP/CF/ parts. Probably the most important upgrade is the motor, the 500L is OK with 12T pinion, but if you want governor and add the needed 13T or 14T then the motor lacks power. Add a reliable external BEC, and a better ESC. No other upgrades are really esential.

The ds520 tail servo is good enough, at some point you may want to change it with some lightning fast tail servo, but I wouldn't hurry for that.

Some parts from the 500E pro do fit either, as the tail grips, those make great upgrade if you damage the original. However the metal tail grips ask for a chinese weights that yo can make using larger bolts for the tail blades.
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bought an FG version too and I did bunch of upgrades.

I convert to FBL using a TREX 500 EFL head.
You need:Align 500EFL PRO Metal Main Rotor Housing H50148

ALIGN TREX 500L Metal Main Rotor Holder H50150

Align Trex 500EFL PRO Metal Main Rotor Holder Arm H50152

ALIGN TREX 500L Metal Control Arm H50180

ALIGN T-Rex 500FL Linkage rod(A) set H50130 New

You use same spindle shaft, main shaft and grip ball bearings.

I use the Beastx (and RX) with with a co-pilot 2.(NB: the co-pilot can be turned on only when the helicopter is air born when used with a FBL controller)

Added a CC BEC PRO,a CC Phoenix Ice 75 and Scorpion 3226-1400 (3026-1400) motor.

All those except the head parts where found here on HF used.

Windmanquebec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are just starting out, it will be plenty. Not the most modern helicopter, but you can still find parts for it and it flies plenty well for training and sport flying. I have a 500, upgraded a few things, but flies great and does everything I ask.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your help! The part numbers were very helpful! I was getting worried that I screwed the pooch by buying a first gen T-rex, since I couldn't find much info on it from the last 5 years. Hopefully getting the package tomorrow, can't wait to geek around with my new gear!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateyhv View Post
The 500GF flyes very well, its compatible with all 500 ESP/CF/ parts. Probably the most important upgrade is the motor, the 500L is OK with 12T pinion, but if you want governor and add the needed 13T or 14T then the motor lacks power. Add a reliable external BEC, and a better ESC. No other upgrades are really esential.

The ds520 tail servo is good enough, at some point you may want to change it with some lightning fast tail servo, but I wouldn't hurry for that.

Some parts from the 500E pro do fit either, as the tail grips, those make great upgrade if you damage the original. However the metal tail grips ask for a chinese weights that yo can make using larger bolts for the tail blades.
Thanks for your help. I don't understand what you meant by chinese weights. Could you clarify this? Sorry I'm a dumb noob
I bought a fusuno ex canopy which has room for a bigger battery, what would be the largest battery it would support with stock parts? Currently in the hospital and don't know what ESC is in it, but I imagine it is standard from 08-09.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindandSeek View Post
Thanks for your help. I don't understand what you meant by chinese weights. Could you clarify this? Sorry I'm a dumb noob
I bought a fusuno ex canopy which has room for a bigger battery, what would be the largest battery it would support with stock parts? Currently in the hospital and don't know what ESC is in it, but I imagine it is standard from 08-09.
The biggest battery is about 3300 mAh 30C but I wouldn't go higher than 3000 mAh, C rating is important too as the higher the C the heavier the lipo for the same capacity. The largest battery I have is 3000 mAh 40C but if you want an agile heli, its best to have 2800 or 2650 mAh batteries. Much lighter and the center of gravity will move too much.

Chinese weights are weights added to the tail grips that counter the racketing effect that force the grips to remain centered. The faster the rotor spin and the heavier the grips, the stronger the force, so if your tail servo is not strong enough it may be overpowered by that force. Adding some weights on both sides of the grip like larger bolts, shims, etc counters that forces. Check google for a better explanation.
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in