Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A noob and his future blades! Starting step by step!

Hi folks!

Long post alert!

A few days ago I found this lol forum... Thaks god for that!

The community help me alot and I've finally made ​​a decision...

First of all, my initial idea was to buy a Nano CP X, but the potential of this copter is too much for a newbie like me, so this is the folks thinking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchilds View Post
Start on a quad. They do not break like CP helicopters but still offer great training. Try the nqx first. Trust me I am trying to save you a lot of $$$ here. The ncpx will break a lot of shafts and bend feathering spindles. A nqx quad is about same price as upgrading your ncpx... start with the nqx...

As for batteries, I find the 25c are much better batteries than the new 45c which imo are complete crap. The eflite 25c are all I use. I fly 12 at a time and my bl ncpx loves them. Fyi they're really 35c rated at the factory it's just eflite puts 25c on the packaging so their 45c crap batteries will sell. Don't worry about c rating, it's just marketing. C rating is arbitrary and only there to create a marketing system. What really matters is internal resistance and real actual capacity.
From: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=598506&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
If this is your first heli I would highly recommend not getting the NCPX. It is a very twitchy little sucker to fly and if you don't have a programmable transmitter it will be even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you've never flown an rc heli before DON'T get the nano! It is a fully aerobatic heli that is hard to fly, especially if it's your first heli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsinx View Post
(...) I haven't tried the Nano QX but I keep hearing it's the best option to transition to CP, so I'd take a look at it... It's cheaper, sturdier and much simpler mechanically so I'm inclined to think that indeed, it would be a better option for you. (...)
Quote:
sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm just looking out for you! I want to see people have fun with the hobby. I haven't been around helis all that long (though I've been around r/c for nearly 20 years), but I've already seen people get frustrated and quit because they tried taking too big of a step at the beginning.

Some people have suggested a quad (QX series), which are good too, I just personally prefer conventional style helis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmo View Post
My favorite recommendation for your position is the Nano QX. Its 'stability' (blue) mode will fly easy like a fixed pitch copter, but without the strange habits of flybarred helis. It will not allow itself to 'tip over' and crash. It's very mechanically simple, but sometimes you gotta watch out when a motor goes out, probably best to have a couple spares on hand. Fewer parts to keep in inventory for repairs, less possibilities for what can go wrong from a diagnostic perspective...

Once you get flight basics, 'agility' (red) mode on the Nano QX will train you in how a CP heli handles your movement on the transmitter. Now the quad will depend on YOU not to roll it too far forward/backward or left/right, otherwise it will thrust itself toward the ground. You can do basic flips and rolls with it, after some practice. It will not be able to do nice "loops" like helis can do.

Once you have mastered 'red' mode flight with the Nano QX, you will be able to fly the Nano CPx in upright orientations. After that, your training can begin on managing positive and negative pitch for upside down flight orientations.

(...)

I got my Nano QX after I was pretty comfortable as a CP heli pilot, and I thought it was what I really needed back when I first started to learn. It can be much less punishing than some of the others in what looks like a bad crash, and it will let you have some fun outside in light wind, which no flybarred heli really will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
If I were you...I would seriously give consideration to the 180QX...
Amazing platform...easy to fly, with 2 additional flight modes waiting for you to step up into...
And a camera is included...
I own over a dozen CP heli's and love the 180QX...it's fantastic...and I can't fly it in full agility mode...yet
You'll never get to the skill level that the 180QX won't be a thrill to fly...believe Me
Gradually those tips were routing me for what I believe is the path to a good start in the hobby.

1st step, start with:

(BLH7600) Nano QX RTF with SAFE Technology
(EFLB1501S25) E-Flite 150mAh 1s 3.7V 25C LiPo Battery (x4)

Why RTF? Because I'll take the hobby step by step. When I master the flying basics: throtlle / rudder / elevator / aileron controls, Its 'stability' (blue) mode, flights in eight, nose's oritation, etc... I'll make the transition:

2do step, improve my radio:

(SPMP610) Spektrum Neck Strap
(SPMR6610) Spektrum DX6i 6-Channel Transmitter Only Mode 2

From: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=598250&page=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
Just get the DX6i (...) The DX6i is very basic navigation vs other brands or high end spectrum. But the bottom line is it does what it is supposed to and it's reliable.
With the DX6i I'll can start with the 'agility' (red) mode on the Nano QX (train me in how a CP heli handles your movement on the transmitter) and to get used to the transmitter before buy a better helicopter.

3rd step, flying outside:

This is a 2 options step: A) Buy the 180 QX HD or B) Buy the Nano CP X.

Option A:

(BLH7480) 180 QX HD BNF with SAFE Technology
(EFLB5001S25) 500mAh 1S 3.7V 25C LiPo Battery (x3)

Option B:

(BLH3380) Blade Nano CP X BNF
(EFLB1501S25) E-Flite 150mAh 1s 3.7V 25C LiPo Battery (x4)
(EFLC1005) E-Flite 6V 1.5-amp AC/DC Power Supply

(BLH3325) Brushless Upgrade: Nano CP X
(MHENCPX012X) Aluminum Swashplate w/Anti-Rotation Guide: Blade Nano CP X

It's hard to choose, but if I can both, both it'll be!

About the charger, I'll try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo131 View Post
I would skip the Celectra 4 port charger and go with a computerized charger. Here is my suggestion to get you set up cheaply to charge

batteries.
- Turnigy Accucel A6 $22 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7028
- Gonna need to get this adapter: $2 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_adapter.html
- Gonna need a power supply like this (you may already have one at home in a bin somewhere): $10

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Supply.html
- Here is a parallel charge cable (parallel): $2 https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...mpatible_.html
- Here is a balance charge cable (series): 3batt: $3 http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...charge-harness
- Another balance charge cable (series) 6batt: $4 http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...charge-harness
= $44 if you buy everything. You would be very nicely set up. This setup allows you to expand more easily into larger helicopters/batteries. Also, you can use the

"storage charge". Also, make sure you understand how to properly use parallel vs series (balance) charge cables, and the charge rates. I know the celectra and stock

(dumb) chargers are easier to use because you just plug in and wait for the light to turn off, but you should probably understand what is actually going on behind the

scenes, and it's better to have control over that stuff - hence computerized charger.
Someone has done a tutorial of this?

Thaks to all, and sorry for the long post!

Loku is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the time you're ready, the TX to get will be the new DX6. Looks to be a major upgrade of their 6-channel computer radio! Pricing looks similar to current DX6i.
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a good plan...and it sounds like you've given serious considerations

Now all We need is success reports !

Ordering today ?
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on listening to sound advice from others that want to see you succeed!

I believe (and I hope) you'll find this hobby to be an enjoyable experience!
gerdawg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric66 View Post
By the time you're ready, the TX to get will be the new DX6. Looks to be a major upgrade of their 6-channel computer radio! Pricing looks similar to current DX6i.
Maybe

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan...and it sounds like you've given serious considerations

Now all We need is success reports !

Ordering today ?
I planning to make the order on Feb 10th!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdawg View Post
+1 on listening to sound advice from others that want to see you succeed!

I believe (and I hope) you'll find this hobby to be an enjoyable experience!
That's the plan!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey I'm famous - I made the list!

If you go option B in step 3 (the nano CPx), don't worry about the brushless and swash upgrades right away. Those upgrades alone basically double the cost of the heli. Just fly the nano CPx like it comes for now.

I think I've said this before, but IMO there's no need to spend money on something you MIGHT not need, or end up wanting. I've been pretty happy with my nano bone stock, granted no serious 3D yet... I'll probably upgrade to the brushless at some point, but not until either A) my motor fails or B) I get to the point in my skills where I want more power.

There's certainly something to be said for just getting all the parts many people seem to be breaking or wanting as upgrades for this heli, and just doing all those mods right away, but I plan to use the hell of out of my stock Nano CP (and only replace what breaks), and putting away the money I'd spend on blingy stuff, and save up for a 300X or similar bigger heli.

Sounds like you are well on your way to having a blast with this hobby.

Welcome to the addiction.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If you go option B in step 3 (the nano CPx), don't worry about the brushless and swash upgrades right away. Those upgrades alone basically double the cost of the heli. Just fly the nano CPx like it comes for now.

(...)

Sounds like you are well on your way to having a blast with this hobby.

Welcome to the addiction.
The upgrades are after 85-100 flights or when the motor dies!

And thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

What happen if I make a little change on my plans?

1rst Step: The 180 QX RFT
2nd Step: The DX6i or DX6
3rd Step: The Nano CP X

Only if my wallet and my wife let me
Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will not crash as often

You will learn how to FLY vs how to avoid crashing

You will have camera capability

Your wife will let you buy more because you haven't broken them
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You will not crash as often

You will learn how to FLY vs how to avoid crashing

You will have camera capability

Your wife will let you buy more because you haven't broken them
So... I have to go for the 180 QX RFT!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loku View Post
The upgrades are after 85-100 flights or when the motor dies!

And thanks!
ahh, it sounded like you were planning all that at once.

As for your wife, remember this:

It's always easier to ask forgiveness, than to ask permission...

But seriously, if she has hobbies, maybe set a budget for each of you, like you each get $100 a month to spend freely with no questions asked, and anything above that discuss with each other. Or wait a couple months and save to buy a $200 or $300 item... We each give ourselves $20 a week for "lunches" at work. But if I want to save for a new swash or ESC or something random, I just make my lunches at home, and save the cash in my sock drawer... Wife does the same with her knitting stuff, seeds for the garden, etc...

I'm currently building a fairly substantial garden for my wife. 6+ raised beds each with integrated below ground irrigation, separate automated watering for each bed, shed, all that stuff. As you can imagine, this gets kind of expensive. Every time she looks at me funny for wanting a new heli or whatever, I ask her if she wants me to get out the latest Home Depot receipts from her garden build... She backs off.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
As for your wife, remember this:

It's always easier to ask forgiveness, than to ask permission...
This hobby will be my 3rd!

1) Starcraft II (game online) And the last year I spend $175.00 on: Mechanical Keyboard, Mouse and Mousepad!

2) Wargames: 2013 has for the kicstarter season: $235.00 on Bones II (Reaper Miniatures), $100.00 on Journey: Wrath of Demons and $25.00 on Doublesix Dice... I'll be waiting for the rewards there for June to November.

3) Blades Babes! Like $210.00 with the 180 OX HD RTF... XD

I'll have to do something to convince her

Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a NQX and learn how to fly it before getting the 180qx. The MQX/180QX is great, but if you crash, stuff will break... and those booms with internal wiring aren't cheap. If you crack a boom, your flight characteristics will suck. The 180QX in SAFE mode would be great too, but if you want to practice Agility mode, stick with the NQX.

And go for a nano, but if you're not good at flying Agility mode, you may crash a lot, and nanos can get expensive to crash.
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
And go for a nano, but if you're not good at flying Agility mode, you may crash a lot, and nanos can get expensive to crash.
Step by step my friend! XD

The Nano QX is the cheapest option but I have a small indoor space so I have more crash probability T.T
Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes to the nano-qx. You can fly it in your house day/night/rain/cold and not tear anything up in the house. It does great outside as well and crashes over grass result in zero damage. It's the cheapest to own and still a lot of fun. It's super tame but can flip and roll in agility mode. I've handed mine to people that haven't flown anything more than an air hog and they could easily hover and move around the room.

Fly that for a while then in the spring the 200srx will be out. It looks to be able to handle wind, it's large enough to see outside, it has safe mode, has good power, and looks to be easy to repair.

Then when summer or fall comes, pick up a 300cfx or a collective pitch safe heli, if they are out by then. That will do anything you need it to and working on it will be similar to working on the large expensive heli's so it will get you ready for the 700 in year 2.
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpod View Post
Yes to the nano-qx. You can fly it in your house day/night/rain/cold and not tear anything up in the house.
When you have a really good space!

My plan is

180 QX HD RTF - DX6(i)? - Nano CP X - Nano CP X BL - 300 CFX

Something like that! Maybe a 130 X.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loku View Post
When you have a really good space!

My plan is

180 QX HD RTF - DX6(i)? - Nano CP X - Nano CP X BL - 300 CFX

Something like that! Maybe a 130 X.
Huh?

You can fly a NQX in a 10'x10' space and have fun. In that same space you'll barely be able to hover a 180qx. You can crash it hundreds of times before the frame starts to split.

The NQX doesn't really break. There's almost nothing to break. The 180qx has carbon fiber 3mm square booms that crack easily, and once they crack they don't fly the same....
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The nqx is so simple you can build one in about 2 minutes from scratch. Maintenance couldn't be any easier. I just flew a few packs through mine. Its also much more quiet.
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpod View Post
The nqx is so simple you can build one in about 2 minutes from scratch. Maintenance couldn't be any easier. I just flew a few packs through mine. Its also much more quiet.
mmmm.... let me think what can and can't I do...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in