Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New nanotech 3s 11.1v 2200 mah arrived today

Hi

I just got my new nano tech 3s 11.1v 2200mah batteries for my 450x today. I'm a bit concerned as the cells are not balanced and the total charge at 10%. I'm balance charging one now go see how it goes.

How should a battery like this arrive? I always thought it should be no less than 3.8v per cell and mine are all below 3.6.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Bhu
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't measure anything, of course, until you cycle it 5 times.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Don't measure anything, of course, until you cycle it 5 times.
Cycle on a heli or via a charger?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just use a charger at 1C charge and 1C discharge. Easiest and easy on the lipo.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder why we are seeing so many of the turnigy/nanotech batteries coming this way ? Seems to be a trend since the holidays. Were these by chance bought from HobbyKing ?
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I wonder why we are seeing so many of the turnigy/nanotech batteries coming this way ? Seems to be a trend since the holidays. Were these by chance bought from HobbyKing ?
Yup you got it not exactly cheap either. But I have the nanotech 1s and 2s for mcpx and 130x and they have been great for years. So thought I'd take the risk. Maybe should of gone gen ace or pulse

Old 01-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I wonder why we are seeing so many of the turnigy/nanotech batteries coming this way?
It's always been that way.. especially, I remember, in 2008 when I used to buy boatloads of Turnigy blues for a 450 and 500.. but they always equalized and performed well.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
They are shipping at lower voltage than the former 3.8V everyone is used to due to new lipo shipping regulations. Some brands are coming with notes or stickers warning the buyer to this change, others not.

A max 30% state of charge rule instead of the typical 3.85V 50% charge went into effect in April. It seems that many are only recently starting to abide by these new rules similar to the capacity limit rules that have been in effect for a while.

Some are getting around that rule by making their larger packs "technically" two smaller batteries by shipping so called "split packs" where the user must connect up a jumper between the cells to get the full pack size.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the answers. Some things I did not know. I have plenty of different brand lipos. They all seem to have occasional bad ones.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
It's always been that way.. especially, I remember, in 2008 when I used to buy boatloads of Turnigy blues for a 450 and 500.. but they always equalized and performed well.
Yes my 1s and 2s nanotech have been really great over the years. That's why I went for nanotech in the 3s
Old 01-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
They are shipping at lower voltage than the former 3.8V everyone is used to due to new lipo shipping regulations. Some brands are coming with notes or stickers warning the buyer to this change, others not.

A max 30% state of charge rule instead of the typical 3.85V 50% charge went into effect in April. It seems that many are only recently starting to abide by these new rules similar to the capacity limit rules that have been in effect for a while.

Some are getting around that rule by making their larger packs "technically" two smaller batteries by shipping so called "split packs" where the user must connect up a jumper between the cells to get the full pack size.
I am aware of the stricter shipping regulations for lipo batteries. But these were at 10% so was very concerned that they are really old stock or faulty.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well they charge fast at 1c way faster than my old eflite 3s 2200mah which usually times out before fully charged so I have to start the charge cycle again. Still a good battery but never charges completely balanced now; one cell is always a little low, hence I invested in these 2 new ones
Old 01-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If my charger times out before one of the cells balances then I won't use that lipo anymore other than maybe a test hover 2' off the ground.

Especially a Eflite. Had one of their 3s 2200's that would still balance fine but the esc would hit lvc slowdown as soon as you did anything aggressive that put a heavy load on it. Could hover around and it would last through the duration of my flight timer but one hard stop and it would crumble.

It crashed my 450 Trex by choking on a hard stop low to the ground. Thought I overtemped the esc but noticed it was the lipo cause from that point forward it crumbled under stress every time.

Took it to a plowed under farm field and burst it into flames with a alloy pellet from a break action pellet gun. Crash my heli and you die!!! lol
Old 01-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok 5 cycles and all balanced and fully charged

I also spent some time on my old eflite 3s 2200 and after a few cycles it's balancing out nicely and fully charges as well have put them to storage now as I'm waiting for a hardware pack to arrive to finish the 450x up with

Alls well that ends well

Old 01-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Contrary to what people say, HK actually hooks you up should you have an issue with the battery. Mine have all been coming with >20% and well balanced, but not worried if I get a bad one. As long as you jump through a couple of hoops, you'll get a brand new battery and get to keep the old one too.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in