Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Henseleit

Henseleit Henseleit Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "Old" TDR on JivePro question

One of my winter project is to take out the Kosmik from my TDR1 and to put in a JivePro to put it on a diet. I have not liked my TDR since I replaced my Mezon (which is light) with a Kosmik (which is much heavier). The Jive is lighter than the Mezon.

My question:

I have received the JivePro and noticed that it only has one power out that will got to my FBL. For HV servos do you just use that connection or is there an other way to have two wires going to the FBL? How do you go about it if possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have several Jives, Jive 80HV, Power Jive, Jive 100LV. They all send power through the throttle lead as well as the slave, so if you connect the slave you'll have two leads going to the RX.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks trillian . I had not looked close enough at the box I see now that there is a slave outlet.

I only had one wire inside the box, already opened, that I got so I assumed there was only one and never looked at the possibility of connecting an other wire to an other outlet.

I should have known that tou have to go in the Kosmik price range to have two wires included. Does not really matter anyway they are never the right length for the usage.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I don't remember if mine came with two leads or not as I generally had to buy new ones anyway to reach from the front to the back of the heli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Thanks trillian . I had not looked close enough at the box I see now that there is a slave outlet.

I only had one wire inside the box, already opened, that I got so I assumed there was only one and never looked at the possibility of connecting an other wire to an other outlet.

I should have known that tou have to go in the Kosmik price range to have two wires included. Does not really matter anyway they are never the right length for the usage.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

JivePro only comes with one lead in the box, but has two outlets, one is the master and the other the slave, same as with all Kontronik ESC's.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a effort to save a few pennies on K's part. My older Jive 120 and 100 both came with dual cables.
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2kx View Post
Sounds like a effort to save a few pennies on K's part. My older Jive 120 and 100 both came with dual cables.
No kidding! That seems very cheap on their part. That cable can't cost them more than pennies in volume.

What they are doing is getting to you to buy a $12 part at a steep markup.

Who in their right mind with a heli that is running 10-12S is going to run off a single ESC cable.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
Who in their right mind with a heli that is running 10-12S is going to run off a single ESC cable.
Ummm....... me
Done this many times in fact. A single good cable is plenty for most sport flying. Potential single point failure? Yes, but there are many on any machine. Fact is we tend to over complicate a lot of this stuff
Distributor: soXos Helicopter
F1 Rocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may have gotten away with a single line going from the Jive, but I hope you are not recommending people do this. That would be like only plugging your battery connectors half way in "because it is good enough".
Old 10-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
You may have gotten away with a single line going from the Jive, but I hope you are not recommending people do this. That would be like only plugging your battery connectors half way in "because it is good enough".
Ryan, so is Kontronik falling on bad times and trying to milk more profit out of this market? This seems like a very cheap thing for a premium product company like Kontronik to do. Many balk at their pricing already. To not include a second set of BEC cables is going to bother people. I know I think it is a very poor decision.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't recall the Jive ever coming with two leads. I can definitely request them to add one, but I never had two in all my years of owning the Jive series.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't recall the Jive ever coming with two leads. I can definitely request them to add one, but I never had two in all my years of owning the Jive series.
Really?

I've only gotten Kosmiks recently which came with two.

The last Jive I got was in 2012. I thought it came with 2 cables.

Maybe I was mistaken...
Old 10-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
We each choose our setup according to our own experience, expertise and equipment - part of the fun. I also dont always use the slave, even on a 700. With Futaba BLS servos current draw can be very low and a good quality 22swg cable is good for 3A continuous and 5-8A short term with 11A bursts.

I dont begrudge KT not including a slave cable, I regard the supplied cable as good for setup, then make customised optimised lenght cables for installation.

Wrt to the OP, I dont think weight difference between the Kosmik and Mezon responsible for performance, probably different throttle curves and HS. Theres at least a 10% disparity between HS for the same throttle settings say on a Kosmik and a Jive - Mr Mel's HS calc has that figured!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought what I considered my first high end esc (heli Jive 100 LV) 4 years ago and it was my first esc with two power supplies with feeite rings. After that, several mezons of most sizes that came the same way, and my last esc was a Kosmik 200. I have considered this to be the way to go and don't look at in any way as adding complexity or another failure point.
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wrt to the OP, I dont think weight difference between the Kosmik and Mezon responsible for performance, probably different throttle curves and HS. Theres at least a 10% disparity between HS for the same throttle settings say on a Kosmik and a Jive - Mr Mel's HS calc has that figured!
Well I just crashed my Kosmik equipped TDR because of one swash ball that I forgot to put locktite on. The Kosmik is still good but shall be put to other use.
I think the extra weight also needed to properly balance the TDR with the Kosmik in front did not help the feel of it either.
All perception probably but from the get go it did not feel right.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear that Eric. But I agree with you one the weight. A heavy TDR just doesn't feel right, I tried that on mine, hated it.

Hope you get it back in the air soon.

Jeti DS24 / VControl Touch
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz76 View Post
Sorry to hear that Eric. But I agree with you one the weight. A heavy TDR just doesn't feel right, I tried that on mine, hated it.

Hope you get it back in the air soon.
It is going to be a TDR winter, on top of other things. I still have a fresh in the box original TDR that I will build with the JivePro
The crashed one has parts already since I ordered double when my last crash happened last year. Not sure what I will do with this one. I am still hoping for a Mezon2 so I will see.

I am also tempted to try the TellMe with the JivePro, although I like the Jlog very much. Do they work together?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes I believe the TellMe will also work with the JivePro.

Vs the Jlog there are some Pros and Cons:

TellMe is more plug and play. You just set Poles and gearing on the KConfig software and you're done.

Jlog is more versatile. If you have the full version it will store the log locally as well as transmit telemetry. The Local SD card log has the advantage of being much higher resolution (especially useful for identifying peak currents for example). Also Jlog has a host of other sensors that you can connect to it (granted many of those things you can get directly from Jeti). Finally the big advantage of Jlog is support for other ESCs. So you could potentially use it with something else in future. Tom is always adding support for new stuff.

I love Kontronik, I fly their ESCs exclusively now. But also Tom is great and I will always pick Jlog over TellMe to support him.

Jeti DS24 / VControl Touch
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz76 View Post
I love Kontronik, I fly their ESCs exclusively now. But also Tom is great and I will always pick Jlog over TellMe to support him.
Ditto!

JLog = one device to talk to all transmitters with telemetry (except VBC) and also talks to numerous ESC's like Jeti, Castle, HW, and I think a couple others now.

In fact JLog's also talk to the older non-Jive Pro models like my Jive 100LV and Power Jive 120HV and the TelMe does not!

Each type of TelMe only talks to one Transmitter type and only Kosmik and Jive Pro ESC's.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys your are preaching to the choir here.

I agree with all you said about Jlog and have been defending it in other threads. I was just considering the TellMe with the JivePro as an upgrade proof way to have my telemetry consistant all the time since this might be, will be, the permanent set up for my TDR.
But you have convinced me with your arguments, pretty much the same I have used in past threads, to use the Jlog again.

Sometimes we need reminder that the flavor of the month or new thing is not always best. An other proof is the Kosmik vs the JivePro in a TDR1.

Speaking of new thing Jlog3 soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in