Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Newbie question....Flybarless vs Flybar

Just starting to learn to fly my my mCPx BL. I have been flying fixed pitched helis for a while now. When I started a while back, only the newest most expensive helis were flybarless. Now even the micro fixed pitch helis have gone flybarless.

Obviously flybarless have fewer parts and are Mechanically less complicated,,,, but it seems to me that the missing flybar has to be replaced by Something..... My guess is some kind of software control in the esc.

My question is: What do you experienced Heli people prefer? Does it even make a difference?
Redharris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it's replaced by the digital flybar, AKA the fbl unit/controller. Mechanical setup is easier but the electronic setup is more involved.

Lucky for us most of the fbl controllers are very user friendly and have amazing tunability and all sorts of wonderful features that make a huge difference.

Bank limits/stability modes that make a cp fly like a fixed pitch, bailout that can save your butt by flipping a switch when you get into trouble. You can tune it to fly a lot like a flybarred heli or you can take advantage of the faster flip/roll rates a fbl heli is capable of. Logging, vibe analysis, all kinds of good stuff.

AR7200BX is a popular one to start with since it's quick and easy to setup without a PC, but there are many great units available.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Your going to love MCPX BL. It's the little helicopter that thinks it's a 450.

Don't be afraid to take it outdoors and let it fly.
Ron MCPX-BL (2 min 4 sec)

I learned on both fly bar and FBL. They have a little different feel. I'd suggest sticking with FBL if your buying new. Although there are plenty of fly bar 450's around used, and they can be had relatively inexpensive.

Ether way hope you enjoy the hobby.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The gyro now does cyclic and tail advance air surface computing to keep the unit stabilized, customize unit flying style, and tune the model. It's def the way to go...flybar kept me out of the hobby, now that I've pretty much gotten fbl down it makes flybar easier to digest.

The standard is now fbl but enthusiasts love both.
They both have their quarks.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree that if $ are the key concern, get a flybarred Trex 450 or 500 next. If not, I'd get a flybarless in that size range, as it is less fussy mechanically to repair and will allow you to tune performance to your liking.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Yes it's replaced by the digital flybar, AKA the fbl unit/controller. Mechanical setup is easier but the electronic setup is more involved.

Lucky for us most of the fbl controllers are very user friendly and have amazing tunability and all sorts of wonderful features that make a huge difference.

Bank limits/stability modes that make a cp fly like a fixed pitch, bailout that can save your butt by flipping a switch when you get into trouble. You can tune it to fly a lot like a flybarred heli or you can take advantage of the faster flip/roll rates a fbl heli is capable of. Logging, vibe analysis, all kinds of good stuff.

AR7200BX is a popular one to start with since it's quick and easy to setup without a PC, but there are many great units available.
Thanks for all the Info!
I had no Idea the FBL were SO programmable. What sort of process is necessary to program them? Do you hook em up to a computer and adjust parameters,,,,, or do you do it with your radio? Is every manufacturer different, or is it more of a Standard Procedure?
I'm guessing there must still be a fair amount of mechanical tinkering involved...
Redharris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redharris View Post
Thanks for all the Info!
I had no Idea the FBL were SO programmable. What sort of process is necessary to program them? Do you hook em up to a computer and adjust parameters,,,,, or do you do it with your radio? Is every manufacturer different, or is it more of a Standard Procedure?
I'm guessing there must still be a fair amount of mechanical tinkering involved...
They all use different interfaces to program. Some use a pc/smartphone interface, some use the transmitter, some use a combination of both. Best bet is just to pick one unit and learn it inside out.

As for what is involved in setting them up, they basically need calibrating to your head geometry, end points setting, agility setting and control gains tuning. The simple FBL unit in your mCPX doesn't need any setting up other than basic transmitter programming. Most units work pretty well on their default settings too, usually just need to tune the tail gyro gain after basic geometry setup. Then as your flying improves you can start to get into the other more detailed settings to suit your model and flying style.

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in