Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
Bought an Eclipse Pro's Kit (Part 800-075) screwdriver set at Frys back in January for about $15, iirc, Works great. Only complaint is that I have to remagnetize them periodically.

And considering this 5 month old noob, they have gotten a lot of mileage.....
Might be a stupid question... but how do you magnetize one if it becomes demagnetized or was never magnetic in the first place?
murderisthegame is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I actually bought a magnetizer from Lowes a couple of years ago like this one at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Cube-Mag...6571893&sr=8-3

But really all you have to do is place the tip of your screwdriver on a magnet for just a short time and it will magnetize it. You can use the side of the MSRX motor or any motor you have that has magnets.
I still do that from time to time when i am working on one. just lay the tip of your screwdriver on the motor for a few seconds and there you go.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderisthegame View Post
Might be a stupid question... but how do you magnetize one if it becomes demagnetized or was never magnetic in the first place?
I do this all the time. Simply take a magnet, a rare earth magnet works well, but any permanent magnet will work.

Slide the screwdriver over the magnet, and repeat, and repeat. I have no set number but at least 6 times, but the more the better.

Do not slide in both directions. Slide towards you till the blade leaves the magnet. Put the driver back on the magnet where you started and pull towards you again. You only need to do the business part of the driver.

Update, didn't see BigRHS response. Both work. I find sliding the driver a number of time makes for a longer lasting magnetic tip.
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS View Post
I actually bought a magnetizer from Lowes a couple of years ago like this one at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Cube-Mag...6571893&sr=8-3

But really all you have to do is place the tip of your screwdriver on a magnet for just a short time and it will magnetize it. You can use the side of the MSRX motor or any motor you have that has magnets.
I still do that from time to time when i am working on one. just lay the tip of your screwdriver on the motor for a few seconds and there you go.
Awesome, you know now that I think about it... if I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure I saw a magnetizer like that still in the package sitting in my dad's tool box in his garage at one point in time - if that's the case I'm going to snag it because he obviously doesn't use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj View Post
I do this all the time. Simply take a magnet, a rare earth magnet works well, but any permanent magnet will work.

Slide the screwdriver over the magnet, and repeat, and repeat. I have no set number but at least 6 times, but the more the better.

Do not slide in both directions. Slide towards you till the blade leaves the magnet. Put the driver back on the magnet where you started and pull towards you again. You only need to do the business part of the driver.

Update, didn't see BigRHS response. Both work. I find sliding the driver a number of time makes for a longer lasting magnetic tip.
Cool, I appreciate the help!
murderisthegame is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gardill View Post
Can you (carefully!) cut a notch into it with a dremel to remove it with a flathead screwdriver? Those screws are pretty soft; I would think one quick nick would do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was able to remove the screw with a nose pliers, very slowly.
There is a lesson I learned out of this process
NEVER REUSE THESE CHEAP SOFT SCREWS
marsol is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never over-tigthen these screws - remember they screw into cheap soft plastic - just tighten them until you start feeling resistance

Always use the right screwdriver - for me the stock one works, of couse a better quality one is highly recommended

As for magnetizing, just touch the main motor, no need for specialized magnetizers or procedures
danb1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

use a hard drive magnet to magnetize a screwdriver.

phillips 00 fits well on eflite

phillips 000 for walkera micro screws

just cut the frame apart next time, you can ruin 10 for the price of one board
zzyzx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

use a hard drive magnet to magnetize a screwdriver.

phillips 00 fits well on eflite

phillips 000 for walkera micro screws

that screwdriver they include doesn't even work, it should go straight from the box to the trash.
zzyzx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Using the 0 from my set.

Not all sets are equal I am sure, but I went through each bit I have, and my 000 is best... just an fyi.

Last edited by Metal; 05-10-2012 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Not 000 it is 0
Metal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNet View Post
This is the screwdriver I picked up at Home Depot for my micro helis (mSR X & mCP X)

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
I bought a micro set from Frys with PH000 bits and it didn't fit the servo screws.. will this fit the servo screws??
greyhoundfan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in